cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly Chat - December 14th at 1:00 pm PST

Hi everyone! This month’s chat will be an open forum for you to ask questions to the Community Team. Get your questions ready so we can have an informative and fun filled chat on December 14th at 1PM PST!

-----

Edit: Thanks for joining us for the Monthly Chat with your Community Team.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

As a reminder, we want to be able to get to as many members as possible during the allotted hour, so we have a few things to ask of you:

• Keep on topic
  • Scroll through the list of questions to see what has already been asked to decrease chances of redundancy 
  • Keep the message/question simple and no more than one to two items. If you include multiple questions in a post, please be aware that they may not be addressed during the chat and we'll will do their best to follow-up with it after the chat has closed 

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling 888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next month!

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 1 of 77
latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

Re: Monthly Chat - December 14th at 1:00 pm PST

@dcadoff wrote:

When I send an Offer to Buyers, who could qualify for my offer?  Is it just watchers and people who have the item in their cart?   Are there other conditions that could qualify as an "interested buyer" like simply viewing my item page?

Hey @dcadoff that is correct.  Offers are able to be sent to users who are either watching your item, or have placed it in their cart.  Those are currently the only conditions that qualify them as an interested buyer.  

Kyle,
eBay
Message 16 of 77
latest reply

elizabeth@ebay wrote:

Hey @nuclearomen. These are some great points. We'll send this over to the proper team to provide some insight and will follow up if we hear back. 

elizabeth@ebay Thank You, and I hope so. Not pointing the finger at anyone or specific something, so to be clear, just trying to point out that things are/have gotten severely worse past months, especially since Nov, Oct was actually looking normal from all downs previous month(s) but then as soon as Nov hit on the 1st it's just gotten worse and worse. Something isn't right and I pay attention to PL a lot, every single day I am active with it, looking, checking, etc... and I know PLS at least hasn't been right, something was changed and ebay has zero transparency on PLs so who knows what was changed but point being, nothing we can do, anything like PLs is internal to ebay and must be fixed within their programs, algorithms, etc... 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 17 of 77
latest reply

Is there a way to block eBay marketing emails from specific sellers? The downside of casual browsing or market research is the flurry of emails from eBay attempting to sell items recently viewed items. 

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 18 of 77
latest reply

@mobileman67 wrote:

Hello Elizabeth,

My question/suggestion is regarding the Bid History page. I often get customers asking to cancel their bids, and do not understand why controls for bidding aren't on the bid history page. As it is now, you have to dig through help to locate the bid cancellation controls. It's not a huge thing, but definitely an annoyance and counterproductive to an efficient workflow. Please address my suggestion (example below) to the proper channel. 

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Hil

Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 1.49.51 PM.png

Buyers can cancel their own bids.  They just can't cancel a transaction.

When you can retract a bid

You can retract a bid if:

• The seller significantly changed the description of the item
  • You accidentally bid the wrong amount. For example, you meant to bid $20, not $200. In this case, enter the price you intended to bid as soon as you've retracted the incorrect bid

As well as the above, timing is also important when retracting a bid:

• If there are 12 hours or more left before the listing ends, all of your bids can be retracted
  • If the listing is ending in less than 12 hours, you can retract your most recent bid if it's been less than an hour since you placed it

Any other bids can't be retracted, but you can still contact the seller to see if they'll agree to cancel a bid for you. Remember, the seller isn't obligated to cancel the bid so they may not agree.

Retracting a bid | eBay

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 19 of 77
latest reply

@somanypostcards wrote:

For many years now, eBay has limited invoices to a maximum of 40 items.  This has caused problems in billing and paying when more than 40 items are purchased.  I believe it is time to remove this limit.

As an example, I presently have a customer who won more than 40 auctions.  I sent an invoice for 23, figuring he could pay that, and then I'd send an invoice for the remaining items.  A day later I went to resend this invoice.  Instead a new invoice was created, with some items from the original invoice and other items.  The invoice was for 40 items.  However my purchase history only shows a combination of 27 awaiting shipment and all other items for this customer listed separately.  The items on the original invoice but not on the 2nd invoice each shows an order total of $20.86.  I have no idea where $20.86 came from.

Hey @somanypostcards we'll be happy to pass along this suggestion to the appropriate team.  

Kyle,
eBay
Message 20 of 77
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

Why is it not possible to easily send offers to buyers with recently expired offers. What good is it to miss an offer received over a weekend when no one may be available to respond?

Hey @clarkphilatelics. What issues are you running into? With buyers being able to send 5 counteroffers per 24 hours and sellers being able to send 3 every 48 hours, I definitely want to be able to pass along exactly what's happening. 

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 21 of 77
latest reply

Something appears to have changed in regard to sales tax for freight forwarders based in Florida on or around December 1.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/ebay-suddenly-charges-Sales-Tax-for-a-tax-exempt-location/m-p/3...

Previously, freight forwarder addresses that used Florida's 0% tax rate zip codes set up specifically for that purpose were not charged tax.  But now those same addresses are suddenly being charged sales tax.

There is nothing on eBay's help page about sales tax that indicates any changes for tax collection in Florida.

Can you check with the tax team and find out if this was an intended change (in which case the help pages need to be updated) or if there is an error?

-----

Edit: A reply to your post can be found here.

Message 22 of 77
latest reply

Why is it that eBay can not verify that the phone # that has been registered with eBay for 22 years, and is used for a "call back" to me, is my phone #?  Have seen posts of others others that are having problems getting things verified.

-----

Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 23 of 77
latest reply

What happened to the recent QuickBooks promotion offering some sellers a "free" year of QuickBooks?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 24 of 77
latest reply

@dcadoff wrote:

I like to send packing slips with my shipments, but why is there a different format for the packing slips when I buy one (1) label at a time vs when I buy shipping labels in bulk.   I like the packing slip available on the bulk orders page much better.   Is there a way to get to that format from the single purchase page or from another page?

Hi @dcadoff. At this time there isn't a way to change the individual packing slip flow to match the bulk shipping, but I can get this suggestion over to our Development Team to look into optimizing! 

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 25 of 77
latest reply

@mobileman67 wrote:

Hello Elizabeth,

My question/suggestion is regarding the Bid History page. I often get customers asking to cancel their bids, and do not understand why controls for bidding aren't on the bid history page. As it is now, you have to dig through help to locate the bid cancellation controls. It's not a huge thing, but definitely an annoyance and counterproductive to an efficient workflow. Please address my suggestion (example below) to the proper channel. 

Hil

Hey @mobileman67 we'll be glad to pass that suggestion along to the appropriate team! 

Kyle,
eBay
Message 26 of 77
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@mobileman67 wrote:

Hello Elizabeth,

Hil

Buyers can cancel their own bids.  They just can't cancel a transaction.

Yes, I'm aware of this, but not all buyers are that tech savvy, and it's far easier to just handle their request. Ebay, being a service platform, caters to the customer. When a customer asks me to handle something, I don't explain things to them, I handle their request. 

If you're going to have bid cancellation controls in the help section, why not have them on the actual bid page? 

Message 27 of 77
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

What happened to the recent QuickBooks promotion offering some sellers a "free" year of QuickBooks?

@clarkphilatelics I saw a lot of reports across social media from people who responded within minutes and were told supplies had already been exhausted....but were then offered the same 30% off offer they've been running for a year as a consolation prize.

Seemed odd to me they had planned to run the promo for the whole month but ran out almost instantly. 🤔

Message 28 of 77
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

Last month, @Anonymous noticed what appeared to be a new kind of ad being tested on their listings. It looks like this new ad types will promote competitor stores in a very high placement above the fold area and there were concerns this may be confusing for buyers who may believe that link would take them to the store page to see other items for the seller whose listing they are on.

storead1-2 (1).jpg

adsteam@ebay  was tagged asking for additional information, but never responded.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Ebay-WHAT-Are-You-Thinking/m-p/33374738#M2118334 

Can you provide any information about what this new ad type is and if it's Cost Per Click or some other model? If not, can you please ask the ads team to check in on that thread and share any information they have about it?

Hey @valueaddedresource. While I won't personally have this info, I'll get in touch with our Ads Team, and touch base with you on their response when I hear back. 

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 29 of 77
latest reply

Is eBay working actively to fix category mapping between country sites? In 2021 attempts to sell railroad color slides in the EU went nowhere, perhaps because there is no well-defined active category corresponding to the active color slide category in the United States. Could eBay provide category mapping information to sellers interested in international sales?

-----

Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 30 of 77
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: