cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying Too Much

Why is it that a lot of people do not do any research before they bid on items? I was looking at an item that is made in GB and I went to the mfg. website to see just how much the item was at full retail. Then I went to the currency converter in Bank of Canada and found out the equivilant in both US and Canadian dollars to the GB Pound Sterling. Now I knew just how much to bid for the item in US dollars to equal the full mfg. price tag. Why would I pay more? DUH! Well, I was immediately outbid! OK jerk. I'll order the item direct from the mfg. for less than the auction final price will be. Makes me shiver sometimes. Anybody else shake their head at some bidders? I mean, this is a new item. Not an OOP. WOW! B-) PS: The shipping is cheaper from the mfg. too.
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Paying Too Much

Bargains are not what they used to be on ebay. Since my LHS has limited train supplies, I usually use Walthers myself, although I sometimes buy direct from the manufacturer if possible. A lot of them will ship for free if you are a repeat customer. Art Fahie of Bar Mills loves me and I love his kits. Micro-Nark has had some great deals on locos lately. With money tight all over, we all have to be careful. B-)
Message 16 of 21
latest reply

It does put a crimp in things when you don't really have the cash hanging around for a purchase... Charles PS, at least I have things to do while I collect spending budget...
Message 17 of 21
latest reply

as most of the guys know because I live in OZ I do a great deal of shopping on ebay, I would possibly use online dealers except the postage kills the joy of finding what I want ($40+ to me) and the hobby shops here don't really keep up to date, also lack of funds does dampen the prospects. ]:)
Message 18 of 21
latest reply

nascarpetlover
Enthusiast
Most of the few items that I have bought are from LHS. They get them from Mfgs. or Walthers. I pay Walthers price and usually a 10% discount plus tax. Cheaper then ebay anytime. That is unless it OOP then I still watch what I can pay on a budget. LHS always comes first now. Lou
Message 19 of 21
latest reply

We here in the frozen north with US dollar income can be thankful for a little bit since the US dollar is rated higher than the Loonie right now. Since both Kimmers and I get Soc. Sec. we get a bonus when we turn the US dollar into Canadian dollars in the checking account. There is a drawback though, if I buy something from the US, I have to be sure to use my US dollar Visa and then pay it off with US dollars or I take a big hit trying to pay with the Loonie. It's a game we have to pay. The biggest drawback though is at income tax time since we have to convert the US dollar income to Canadian and therefore we end up paying taxes on a higher income amount. Canada is nice though in that we get a $2000 income credit each because the SS is a pension and also a 15% tax credit. But our taxes are still high. Are we paying too much? Probably not since our medical is "FREE" for the most part.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Yea, we are paying too much. in taxes for what we get.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply