cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you seen this #2

It must be Memorial Day coming up for most of you folks. See how this wants to celebrate. http://video.chicagotribune.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?clipid1=1464914&at1=News&vt1=v&h1=... Not for me thank you very much. Jack
Message 1 of 205
latest reply
204 REPLIES 204

Have you seen this #2

Could that be a fence shadow or maybe dual gage track? That is a circle that goes no where. You can see another road bed that looks more like a passing siding around the loop or maybe an actual reverse loop. It's a mystery.

Message 181 of 205
latest reply

Have you seen this #2

Pete,

I am pretty sure it is third rail, I thought it might be dual gauge too, but you can see breaks where it switches sides and at turnouts (like the DC Metro subway I used to ride to work; I like being retired).

I was so busy looking around I forgot to zoom-in to Dave's coordinate, it must be a train wreck....

wreck at 38.44389 -104.290513.jpg

I guess someone had an oopsie.  Maybe that is what the loop of track is for.  They put new locomotive engineers on that track and see how many loops it takes for them to call and ask why the job seems to be going in circles?....  If they never realize they are going in circles, they either fail or pass depending on the whatever...

All the best,

Charles

Message 182 of 205
latest reply

Have you seen this #2

it is cool that you were able to post the screenshots. I didn't see that loop when I waas looking. I followed other tracks trying to figure out the facility. Anyhoo, you found the easter egg of the coach car on its side (that was what the coordinates were for). Funny stuff to find on google  maps.  I wonder if it being the technical facility for RR admin, that it is a "proving ground" for locos and rollingstock much like the proving grounds  (like race tracks) that car manufactures own for vehicle research for testing suspension, bumps, high speed,etc etc,,,,.

Maybe that lollypop loop is for checking freight cars on tight radius turns.

I can only imagine the cool stuff that is blocked from google maps like Area 51.  ufo landing pad and big sign readable from 30,000 feet saying welcome to earth   🙂

Another cool thing to see on google maps is the Very Large Array in Az.  The radio telescopes move on tracks.

I forget where I saw it, came across an aircraft graveyard, showed B52s copped up in sections. really coool...

Message 183 of 205
latest reply

Have you seen this #2

maybe the loop is the "DCC programming track".  heheheheh

Message 184 of 205
latest reply

Have you seen this #2

type in very large array and it will come up in sorocco New Mexico.

another one- Davis Monothan AFB Tuscon, scroll east of runway and you'll see the fields of aircraft. One area of B1bs and B52s chopped up in sections. quite insane tha amount of planes there.

Message 185 of 205
latest reply

Have you seen this #2

Barry. there is a bloke selling a lot of several autoracks and offers free shipping in australia. You do NEED more right?

(rhetorical question)

Message 186 of 205
latest reply

Have you seen this #2

The Davis Monthan storage facility is there because of the dry climate. Once in a while some nut buys enough parts to rebuild a plane. The Confederate Air Force, a group of vintage WWII fighters got a lot of their parts here. You would think that the govt. would just scrap these planes. Most of them will  never get off the ground again.

While you are looking at AZ, check out Luke Air Force base in west Phoenix, actually Litchfield Park. I used to live a few miles from the base on a public golf course just east of the base. The base is a fighter training facility similar to Top Gun school, but the training there is for foreign pilots traned by US Air Force instructors. They fly F-15s mostly, although they may have moved on to the F-22s since we moved away.

Message 187 of 205
latest reply

Have you seen this #2

Here are some interesting storage boxes for model trains from Fast Tracks, currently they have HO, other scales are on the way with N Scale next.  They look reasonably sturdy and use pre-cut bubble wrap for cushioning (instead of foam that rots and damages the paint after a while).

http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=01a154da86be0204204cebe0f&id=74a706142e&e=fa25e72cf8

It is a glue together laser cut hardboard kit and each box in HO holds 8 cars, they have three lengths and two heights of car slots in the boxes.  It's only money...

All the best,

Charles

Message 188 of 205
latest reply

Have you seen this #2

Interesting.  Not sure why they didn''t produce the same thing only cast in plastic.

Can't say it would sell well in n Scale as us N Scalers are fortunate as our cars/locos come in nice sturdy plastic jewel cases.

Message 189 of 205
latest reply

Have you seen this #2

Check these out too. I had a set of five for N scale and found you can put the whole thing in this case, plastic box included. The nylon carry bag was great for storage too.

http://www.axiantech.com/ModelRR.html

Message 190 of 205
latest reply

Have you seen this #2

While not as big as Miniture Wonderland, it is equally as creative and mind blowing.

Worth seeing.  Who'd have though of all places??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7I_z6k-MOY

Message 191 of 205
latest reply

Have you seen this #2

Hi all,

Don't know if any of you look for Western Maryland Railway N Scale....  Did you know the Western Maryland only ever had these two F3A's?

WM F3A 51 and 52 InterMountain special run redu.jpg

Numbers 51 and 52.  Would you like one or the other or both?  They are available only because a fellow N Scale guys (not me) has put up the money for a special run of 50 for each road number (100 total).

Ever seen a special run like this?

All the best,

Charles

Message 192 of 205
latest reply

Have you seen this #2

How about paint?

One paint that looks interesting (in my research, not painting yet...) has been True-Color Paint:

http://trucolorpaint.com/

Any of you use this?

Thanks,

Charles

Message 193 of 205
latest reply

Have you seen this #2

PS, that is Tru-Color paint...

Message 194 of 205
latest reply

Have you seen this #2

It is a solvent based paint. Therefore I will not be using it. Trying to save my lungs since I have inhaled way too many fumes in my lifetime, I now use nothing but water based acrylics. I sure miss Testers railroad color acrylics and now use craft paints.

Spoiler
Smiley Happy
Message 195 of 205
latest reply