cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Train Rides/excursions

To keep things active here, new topic for everyone to take part in. 

a) Have you ridden in trains in your life (as a kid or commuting to work)

b) Anyone do the tourist train thing?

c) If so, any memorable ones?

d) Any train travelling you would love to be able to do if you had the means?

I started this so I will answer.

a) nope. steam was before my day. oops. I lied. I did take a train (non steam) form Halifax, Nova Scotia to Cornwallis

where I did Basic Training. not memorable  for obvious reason.

b) I did the local one in WInnipeg- Prarie Dog Central (they have website) it was a GP7 loco for power.

-early 90's did the Virginia and Truckee RR in Nevada. steam power. UNfortunately I wasn't into trains then so 

although I did enjoy it, I didnt value it as much as if I could do it today.

-Did the Silverton and Plume RR ? in Colorado. pete saw the pics, either shay or heisler powered. it was near 10,000 ft altitude. memorable as I managed that altitude after recovering from serious respitory disease.

c) most memorable ride was 1880 train in Black Hills, SD as it was an oil burner loco and it rained that day so the smell of oil is forever in my head.

d) I would love to have the cash to take vacation in Switzerland and ride the rails through the country.

- also would love to have the cash to do some of those train trips advertized in Trains mag. one trip package was hotels and train tickets for various old steamers through Scotland, England and Ireland.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Train Rides/excursions

To keep things active here, new topic for everyone to take part in. 

When I lived in NJ and worked in NYC I rode the train every day to and from work. It was the PRR and in the beginning it was powered by a GG1 and later on it went to RDCs. I also rode the NYC from Buffalo to Fort Dix, NJ where I had basic training. That was powered by two E-8 diesels.

Have ridden the Durango and Silverton narrow gauge several times powered by K-27 Mikados. Also have done the Disneyworld steam train several times in Florida.

My favorite is the Silverton train. Every trip on that one is memorable.

I have always wanted to do the Cumbres and Toltec in Colorado and New Mexico. Never made it up there while we lived out west. I would also like to do the Prarie Dog Central. And finally, I think I would enjoy the VIA train across Canada.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Train Rides/excursions

Yo,

I have ridden some as a kid, that I barely remember, maybe the East Broad Top, and at least one to travel somewhere (my Dad was a doctor in the US Army, we tended to move), and one ride on a coal mine train in Pennsylvania, that was fun.  I have ridden the DC subway (Metro) to work a lot before I retired, and some to travel places in Washington DC.  I also rode the Maryland Rail Commuter (MARC) from Laurel, Point of Rocks, and Boyds, Maryland to get to DC for work (boy am I happy to be retired), the train ride was still fun even as a regular daily activity to get to and from work (boy I am happy to be retired, from work not the train ride).  I have ridden a couple tourist trains with my Mom (it appears we all liked trains, not just my Dad and me), and in the last few years photo special trips arranged by the gentleman Carl Franz, who we met in the rebuilding of the Helmstetter Curve barn that burned down a few years ago belonging to John Helmstetter and the Helmstetter family since before the Western Maryland Railway built through the area.  We rode the train traveling with my Mom (she did not fly) from Maryland to Seatle, WA and to Montreal, Quebec, Canada.  It was fun traveling with my Mom, she would even help pay for bedrooms on the trains (a fun way to travel).  We took the train to Chicago for work once.

For tourist trains, it mostly includes the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad (behind 734 the steam locomotive), and a couple others I mentioned above (but don't know the name, too young or long ago).  On our trip to Idaho visiting relatives last year, we took a trip up to Pikes Peak on the cog railway, it has modern diesel powered trains that look a lot like subway cars, but it was fun and interesting.  The steam locomotives from the 1800's being long gone.  That same trip; there was no ride, but we did get a look at the reproduction (and operating) steam locomotives at the Promontory Summit gold spike site.  We have ridden the Steam into History in New Freedom, PA, the Strasburg Railroad, the Cass Scenic Railroad and the Durbin and Greenbrier Railroad as photo special excursions.  We have ridden a couple tourist streetcar trips, including the one in Seatle, WA.

We have been on various amusement part trains, always fun, because it is a train!!!  We have even been on a couple of the little trains that run on the track that is 7 inch or so gauge, fun trains.

I have memories from all the trips, snapshots in my mind that seem to pop up when I think about them.  Though perhaps one of the most unique for me is riding in the cab of WMSR 734 (a 2-8-0 steam loco), and one time I got to drive the train.  I was just backing down the grade and controlling the brakes for the most part, but fun.  It is an interesting experience for operating the locomotive, as well as trusting the train crew to keep us informed of clear track to avoid running anyone over.  At the end of the ride, they asked me if I could back it into the station and line up the tender with the water spout for watering the locomotive.  I believe I got it just right without fiddling around.  I think they were disappointed, hoping I would miss it and get a chuckle!  That was fun.

We would love to ride the Orient Express.  Without the murder part that is.  Hercule Poirot is one of our favorite mystery story guys; we especially enjoy watching David Suchet in the part.

Well, that is about that,

Charles

Message 3 of 3
latest reply