cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WWII Forum

Place to discuss WWII militaria, medals, headgear, daggers, battles, personalities, etc.....
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: WWII Forum

severius
Enthusiast
I notice that the level of reproductions and other old items from places like Switzerland are often getting listed and bought from the unknowing due to greed and ignorance. Fully 80 to 90 percent of German awards available today are reproductions, the field gear from reenactors is getting wear and posted like they were originals. U.S. G.I. items are the newest trend with things like paratrooper helmets and Garand cartidge belts being common, plus the crop of well-made-to-fool cut edge patches. "Buyer beware" is true, and always ask for a return policy and inspection period, as the crooks want you to learn the hard way.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

tsa-li
Thrill-Seeker
I thought I might pass on a bit of trivia about the WWII German West Wall Medal. It's fairly well documented so I won't go into the details about the initial issue. What I will mention is that it was awarded again (1944) under similar criteria as the initial issue. The area involved expanded further north towards The Netherlands (often in close proximity to the Rur River) and south towards Luxemburg as well as some areas on the French border. It is believed that many thousands more were qualified for the 1944 issue than the original issue but very few were actually awarded due to the rapid advance of the Allied forces. Most of those qualified were not military personnel but rather the "Home Guard", police, and Hitler Jugend (and many more categories). It is likely than most of the legitimate West Wall Medals with packet of issue that are on the market were for this 1944 service (there being absolutely no difference in the medal or ribbon). However, a clasp with "1944" was issued to personnel granted the initial issue. This clasp (if original - and there are at least 1000 copies to each original) is very rare and the value increases substantially if it can be attributed. A verified 1944 issue West Wall Medal without a clasp is far from common and should command a high price as well. Note that there are many copies of this medal and my comments apply only to an original.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

tsa-li
Thrill-Seeker
While emailing another member, the thought crossed me that some info was contained in an article that many members may be unfamiliar with. Most collectors value 3rd Reich items and know about the removal of the Hakenkreuz (English speakers call it a "swastika", actually a misnomer) from German medals and insignia in 1957. What generally isn't widely known is that between 1945 - 1957, newly made replacement medals and insignia continued to carry the Hakenkreuz. In the instance of medals, it is possible to find this series made of typically zinc (other metals are possible) and are generally without manufacturer markings. (Obviously, an Iron Cross of any class would fail the magnet test in this case!) Before any collector gets the wrong idea, these 2 characteristics do not mean a medal is authentic or a forgery - just that some were made like this in 1945-1957. At any rate, they can't be classed as "initial issue" but perhaps a better term is "Jeweler's copy" even though they may have been made with the same die that was used under contract to the 3rd Reich for initial issues. A German law in took effect in 1957 that made the manufacture and sell of militaria items with the Hakenkreuz illegal and the Hakenkreuz was removed or, in some cases, filed off. Each medal has to be individually evaluated and the Germans militaria collectors have substantial documentation of the variants. The particular article that highlited this was about the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross made by "Steinhauer & Lück" (S&L). The German magazine "Revue" (Mai 1953) contains an article, price lists, and illustrations which clearly verify these comments as well as the German collector magazine "Militaria" (Juli-August 2005, pages 124-139). Highly experienced collectors of 3rd Reich items know about this but rarely share this bit of trivia with beginner or intermediate collectors. Hope this helps someone.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply