cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusual dress dagger/bayonet

Trying to ID an unusual dress dagger/bayonet. It has a resemblance to an HJ knife in the handle, totally different blade style. It is unmarked, chrome finish,  10" OA, 6" blade.  The fitting on the hilt is similar to that on some M1895 Mannlicher bayonets, suggesting a possible Austrian origin.

Your thoughts would be most welcome...

DaggerA.jpgDaggerB.jpg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Unusual dress dagger/bayonet

I see nothing indicative of being a bayonet, I would stick with the dress dagger description. Sorry I cannot add more.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

It is in the basic form of the German KS98 bayonet, which was a short, sawback design issued to certain specialized units and some Colonial troops.  These dress versions became popular in WWI as an officer's sidearm when swords were seen as no longer practical in the trenches.  They were picked up as a replacement as a "walking out" sidearm by all ranks replacing the longer dress versions of the S71s and S98s of the prewar years.  The same basic design was used all through the 1920's, '30's and WWII.  The loop attachment is unusual and was meant as a means to attach a bayonet knot.   

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Appreciate the input!

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Greatly appreciate your help with this oddity....

Message 5 of 5
latest reply