cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help identifying German military unit WWII on wooden target.

Hello. I was hoping I could get some help identifying a German military unit from 1936. I just acquired a wooden target that has the names of of the soldiers/participantsIMG_2544.JPGIMG_2548.JPG next to each bullet hole. There are (abbreviated) ranks next to some of the names. In fact several words are abbreviated which has made it difficult to translate them. Any info/history on the unit would be greatly appreciated. Or if you just could steer me in the right direction so I can research it myself. Thank you in advance...

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Ehren-Scheibe means 'honor disk'. The target would have been presented to the best shot.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

1. Komp. E. Batl. 26 would translate as the 1st Company of Replacement (Ersatz) Battallion 26.  This would have been the unit that furnished replacements for the 26th Infantry Division in wartime.  The 26th Division took part in the invasion of France and also fought on the Russian front, including the Battle of Kursk.  It was so depleted by 1944 that it was disbanded and the survivors were absorbed into the 253rd Infantry Division.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thank you for your help! I truly appreciate you sharing your expertise with me.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply