cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking help with vintage screwback earrings

Hello!  I found these awesome unsigned screwback earrings at an estate sale today but can’t find anything like them anywhere.   They are little seascapes set in silver tone ‘frames’.   The elements in the seascapes appear to be 3 dimensional but I can’t tell if this is an illusion created by the convex glass covering them.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.IMG_2932.jpeg

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Seeking help with vintage screwback earrings

I'm not a jewelry person, but what I can tell you from looking at that photo is the 2 earrings are not identical, leading me to believe the scenes were each hand painted and the earrings hand made.

But wait for some of the jewelry experts to come along and either agree with or reject my opinion on these.

Are there any  markings on the back?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@the_cajun_trader 

Those are really fun! Look at this pic careful, is that a siggy?

Screenshot_20231111_124603_Chrome~3.jpg

 These appear to be tourist related, perhaps Hawaii or Bahamas.  They could be handmade and painted like poster Wastingtime stated. The look 1950s or earlier. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Are the covers glass or acrylic? They are very pretty

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I think these may be cuff links but i am not sure.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Unfortunately they aren’t signed.  I checked every mm with a loupe, including the posts.  They are definitely hand painted and are not exact in their replication.  The sky appears flat, but the sea, boat and tree appear dimensional.  I believe the glass covering magnifies the painted image, as the image size is only 1/2” x 5/8”.    IMG_2933.jpegIMG_2936.jpegIMG_2937.jpeg

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@the_cajun_trader 

Here's 2 pieces I found, cufflinks and brooch..

Screenshot_20231111_151931_eBay~2.jpg

Screenshot_20231111_152112_Chrome~2.jpg

 That's what I would tend to think, lucite. The cufflinks are around $ 34, so between $35-$45 should be a point.

Seen some more cufflinks and the typical tropical scene is Florida. Definitely sold to tourists in shops and stands.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Wow!  Thank you so much!!  I thought lucite too, but I tapped it on my teeth and thought glass because of the feel.  The previous owner was a well traveled lady and I wondered if perhaps they could be European.   Her treasures were abundant!
Thank you, again!  So much!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

If these are glass, you might check out Goofus Glass.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply