cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identify vintage bead material on necklace. The necklace does have some weight to it.

IMG_2652.jpeg

Jewelry links

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Identify vintage bead material on necklace. The necklace does have some weight to it.

If it's weighty and beads are cool, I'd say Glass Pearls. Difficult to judge from a photo. Look for spots where the underneath is exposed and you should be able to see the clear glass with a loupe/magnifier.

Also, glass has a bright sound when you clink it on your tooth. It's not very sanitary, but I've become a pro in discerning glass from plastic or wood via the tooth clink method over the years. I've also received many inquisitive looks at sales & stores, lol. Whatever works...

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

The tooth grit test is also a go-to. (Gently rub across your front tooth, if it's gritty, it's a pearl.) If the beads are individually knotted between each, that's also a good sign. Be careful like @bauble-babes said, because if they are high quality glass or (gasp!) the real thing, that nacre is a pretty important thing to protect. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for your reply!  I appreciate the info on pearls! 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

If it passes the grit test (fwiw, I use the backside of my upper front teeth) and looking down the drill holes there is no sign of glass, then what you almost certainly have are freshwater cultured pearls that have undergone a treatment for the color.  Processors use irradiation in addition to old fashioned dye.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for the information on the grit test.  I appreciate it and am sure I’ll use it in the future!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply