cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake and real jewelry

I’ve bought quite a bit of jewelry off eBay that in the description says genuine stone (whichever stone in each case) and sterling silver. Once received it’s obviously not real. Some has even been stamped 925 but turns fingers green and then the so called genuine or natural stone is made of plastic. Sometimes I don’t mind getting something that’s not real because it looks good and it’s cheaper but I like honesty. If it’s fake don’t try passing it off as real. ☹️

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Fake and real jewelry

@apriclem-0 

"Honesty is the best policy. "  

FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION

Jewelry, Precious Metals, and Pewter Industries

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Fake and real jewelry

Let me guess, you are buying from China.  Do not expect to receive "real jewelry"

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Fake and real jewelry

Unfortunately, not just china. india is getting just as bad. not to mention all the fake stuff floating around the secondary market in states. I get fake sterling all the time - which is relatively cheap when you buy in auction lots so you toss it in the costume boxes. The ones I get peeved about are the bit sold as gold that can't pass a basic acid test much less a xlr analysis.

Silver is the worst because it is cheap to make fake bits and nobody feels like they need to go get it tested after the bought it. As the OP says, "it looks good" and doesn't usually have the price tag of gold jewelry.

Cheers

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Fake and real jewelry

@apriclem-0 

"Honesty is the best policy. "  

FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION

Jewelry, Precious Metals, and Pewter Industries

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Fake and real jewelry

"China" gets a bad name because of eBay, Alibaba, etc. sales, but without a doubt, there are dozens of factories that manufacture whatever you want or need, with most showing and selling at the major trade centers like in Yiwi. And yes, with the reproductions there as well, you can compare side to side real from fake.

Meanwhile, that ring machine does not care what metal is put into it and why you will see plated pot metal with a 925 stamp. I.E. it will make 925 rings, but often using worn out dies not suitable for quality. In fact, the auction photo will often be of the original; beautiful, shiny, smooth finish, etc.  .... but not what you receive.

We will often hear you get what you pay for, but that is a relevance issue to the selling platform. Who goes to an auction to pay retail? You can buy name brand tools on eBay for less than half (or less) of retail, so should you expect junk? Sadly, with imported jewelry, you probably should. It is a numbers game. When 95 to 98% of ignorant buyers leave positive feedback, there is profit in fraud and the seller will call it whatever will sell. Have too many legitimate returns and eBay will slap your hand or worse.

For us, the problem is time and time is money in a business. After 40 years, we can spot most imported fakes, most plated item across the room. We do buy 'shorts' and samples on eBay as a search for new suppliers, but to be honest, have yet to obtain real 925 items from China or now India and worse, the same items are now being sold by US sellers. Fact is, they are getting better at avoiding detection by using pot metal of zinc and aluminum that is non-magnetic, but still silver when cut in half. Of course they fail the acid test or better and faster, the xlr analysis.... but not everyone has a $15,000 piece of equipment laying around.

People have different body chemistries. For the novice, a magnet will seldom work for rings or bracelets. The green finger is from the copper bleeding through on plated, but the black ring finger can be from real silver, or the now plated aluminum and zinc bleeding through, or from nickel, cadmium, etc. in the plating, or etc. It is buyer beware and you should be aware to the best of your abilities.

Just look at the finish of imports and if small bubbles where the plating did not adhere, or if the finish appears like it was brushed on, it is poorly plated whatever. That does not work so well for older costume jewelry because gold was $35 ounce and Silver far less, the plating or more often filled was government regulated and very high quality that lasted through time; also required a valid stamp for content. The industry policed itself and not worth the risk when the metals were very cheap in comparison to today.

That said, with 925 Silver about $14 a Troy ounce that will make a lot of rings, you will not find US manufactured fake 925 items... only imports. And that ultra shiny finish, albeit rough and or bubbled inside the ring is not silver, but rather it is zinc that is increasingly blended with cadmium, a known carcinogenic.

As far as stones, don't expect anything real from mass manufactured imports. And don't confuse Cubic Zircon with real natural Zircon that is more rare than diamonds. Oddly enough, companies like Zales used to use natural Zircons in place of diamonds because they were cheap. Not so today, so learn about Zircon when in the thrift stores or estate auctions. And learn how to do a cheap specific gravity test to identify stones, or at least eliminate most of the fakes in conjunction with a hardness tester.

That said, with the exception of CZ's and Moissanite's, we have yet to purchase one real stone as advertised on the auctions from China or India. And even those are subject to being mis-graded as represented. It is what it is.

Always happy to help when I have some free time,  enjoy collecting...

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Fake and real jewelry

I agree with doortek.
Items described at silver or 925 for .01 or.99 BIN from sellers in Asia are apt to turn out the way OP describes....
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Fake and real jewelry

One of the biggest business disputes ever was between Ebay and Tiffany because folks were buying stuff from the "Tiffany Outlet" to resell on Ebay.  The scammers figured out pretty quickly that they made much more money scamming a seller into buying hundreds of fakes than by selling one or two at a time to buyers.  I fear that too many folks are buying in bulk from overseas and without testing pass it on to buyers.

I buy and seller REAL vintage jewelry - sterling, gold filled, and real gemstones every day here.  I also test it.  Not everybody is set up to do testing of both the gems and the metals.  If you get something that ISNT what it claims to be, file a SNAD dispute and return it.  As others have said, you may want to see if your seller is selling just one or two from their own closet or is offering hundreds of the exact same item.  It isn't a perfect test but it helps.  You may also want to invest in a Rare Earth Mineral magnet to test. It isn't 100% and some non-silver may slip through but it will very quickly weed out the fakes when they stick to the magnet. 

You can also learn as much as you can about the gemstones, where they come from, and their history so you know what you are buying. I see tons of listings that just don't make any sense and I don't buy from them.  

I like to tell of the time I sold a vintage rhinestone necklace.  The buyer wrote back after a week and said she took it to a pawn shop and they told her the necklace was "fake".  Well, YEAH.  Rhinestones ARE fake.  But that was a buyer who wasn't clear on what she was buying. Don't be that buyer.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Fake and real jewelry

That is going on all over Ebay. Sellers from China and India are selling 925 stamped jewelry, that is really silver plated. And then Buyers in the US are buying from them and then selling it as real also. I find that a lot of US Sellers don't care. Because they don't get caught. I try turning the item in but nothing happens.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Fake and real jewelry

before China and India,there is Mexico and Thailand.

A jewelry dealer goes to Thailand every year and bring back a suitcase of s/s925 jewelry.

The US customs caught him not declaring them,they called in their expert and found they are not ss 925,so he is safe with US customs but stuck with less than 925 jewelry he has to unload.

They are not enough silver 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Fake and real jewelry

There are US silver jewelry makers using less than 92.5% silver and stamp it 925,crooks can be found in any country,not just China or India.

Gold is worse. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Fake and real jewelry

I have purchased a lot of new jewelry on eBay, marked Sterling, many pieces with stones.

Being a trusting sort, It took me awhile to realize it's probably all fake.

I first realized it when I gave a ring to a friend for her birthday, and it turned her finger green.

That was embarrassing, and I quit buying new from what had been my favorite seller. That seller is still out there, having tens of thousands(mabe hundreds) of good reviews. 

That being said, I have also bought a lot of vintage/ Preowned jewelry that is indeed Sterling.  I have some lovely vintage pieces, many in a certain category, I  collect.

I bought a bit from a seller in Thailand who had beautiful things. But, it's just too hard to find things from other countries without digging through all the Chinese, Indian stuff. Ebay needs to give buyers the option to filter by country.

Right now, there is Sterling jewelry for sale on ebay, where the seller will not end up with scrap prices when sold. ( Part of this is due to increased shipping and Ebay's fee on it).

Many of the new pieces are so fake that a novice like me it's obvious.

Sometimes, they claim a certain stone, but do not say it is real!! There is created turquoise , that can have crushed turquoise  mixed with epoxy, to create a stone. I'm sure it's possible with other stones. 

And they don't wear well, metal turning color all the time. 

I still wear some, so....

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Fake and real jewelry

Many REAL gemstones can now be grown in a lab.  If you question whether the stone or metal are real ask the seller if they have tested them.  I test ALL my stones and even the stamped metals.  I get MANY older items with NO stamp that turn out to be real gold or silver.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Fake and real jewelry

Yes! Filter by origin and shipping location would both be helpful.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Fake and real jewelry

Gemstone business is in the toilet--I have real untreated natural rubies from afghanistan and I am afraid on this platform would be lucky to sell for a dollar a carat. Never have received a bid on Tsavorite, Aquamarine, etc, the american market is pathetic----but everyone expects real gold 22k and authentic emerald ring for 200 bucks---COME ON!!!!

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Fake and real jewelry

Sorry but no - they expect it for $35 not $200. Gemstones aren't rare, just rare to find some good enough to make jewelry out of.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply