cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antique Jade Necklace Set

Hi. Can anyone tell me what I've got here? I don't really know anything about jade. Like what kind of green is it and is the other color lavender jade? I don't think the chain is sterling...it's not marked. Is it Chinese export? Any help would be fantastic! Thanks so much.006.JPG011.JPG014.JPG

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Antique Jade Necklace Set

@cckettle 

As the owner of real jade pieces, unfortunately yours is costume jewelry. Often a resin type base is used and colored to look like jade, lavender included.

If you ever run across real jade it feels cold to the touch and smooth as a baby's behind and often paired with 14k or 18k.

Your piece is still fun to wear and sellable just don't use the term jade in title or description,  buyers don't read well! Lol.

As for what to call the color of the green, " Seafoam" may work and describe as a " disk pendant drop". Best to you, Silver

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Thanks so much. The pieces are very cold and don't warm up after being held. That's why I thought they were jade.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@cckettle 

CC, the 2nd one in the photo with chunky end piece..

Screenshot_20230725_195039_Chrome~3.jpg

 are your sure there is no marks on this chain anywhere especially where I have it circled? And look on the clasp ring. This looks more older than the other necklace.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I can't identify Jade as well as @silverstatetreasureboxes  can, but if it's any help, that snail chain makes me think it's an older piece. No speculation as to the stones or value, just that if it's faux, it's faux from longer ago. 

ALSO, DOUBLE CHECK THE ABSOLUTE HECK OUT OF IT. Silver is right. I can't tell you how many times I've missed a mark that only a loupe and taking light could reveal. 

Best of luck. 

M

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Silver....I've louped the heck out of it...with double reading glasses on! The piece you have circled is a bracelet. The clasps are a different color than the chain. The chain itself is not marked. The two pieces are very old. That's why I thought they might be export. I had thought that because the chain was not only a different color from the clasp...and this is so on both pieces...that perhaps it had been replaced. I did a magnet test on the silver chain and it did not stick to the magnet...my husband said that only means it's not steel. The two pieces are from a very old estate sale and I purchased a very large amount of Chinese or Asian antique to vintage jewelry. 

Mayday...thanks so much for jumping in!! I know pretty much about jewelry but never really got to know very much about jade. Yup I'm actually going to go over the two chains again. They're so tiny I can't imagine where they'd be stamped but I'll try again. 

Silver and Mayday...here's another perplexing piece. Again...cold and doesn't warm up after being held for a while. If you are willing I've got a number of pieces I could us help with.001.JPG002.JPG

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@cckettle 

I do understand it's frustrating sometimes when a piece looks valuable and has no markings on it!

Your pieces represent more of Nephrite than actual Jade, they are still in same family. Nephrite is more abundant and is favored by designers for carving and the color can be influenced by adding dyes or even blueberry juice for the lavender color.

Here's a picture and info on Nephrite...

Screenshot_20230726_083714_Chrome~2.jpg

 Now whether your stones/ beads are real or faux they need to be tested by a jeweler on a gem tester. The one thing with the Silver chain piece that bothers me is that it's draped over the jadeite ornament with bare metal constantly scraping against this piece. This would result in damage if indeed it were jade.

I like your last piece

Screenshot_20230726_053054_Chrome~2.jpg

 this looks more in line with Nephrite and a soft silky cord would protect it from wear. I would have this gem tested before selling.

As for the silver snail chain, like Mae stated it's an older style chain and the fact that it doesn't stick to a magnet it maybe Sterling, so that needs to be tested as well.

The original owner from the Estate may have purchased all these from overseas, vacation but it looks like they truly liked this oriental look

You stated you have more pieces for us to view? If they are different than this topic may want to start a new one so it gives others a chance to chime in!

@maeday76 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

As a Graduate Gemologist, let me warn you that jade is a specialty item.  You need an experienced expert to make determinations.  Besides jadeite and nephrite, serpentine is also frequently misidentified as jade...not to mention glass and other molded imitations.   Further, genuine ("real") jadeite can be injected with fillers to fill in microscopic voids, and it can be dyed.

While I was comfortable appraising inexpensive nephrite and serpentine, there were instances when I turned down appraisals on jadeite.  Jadeite can be incredibly expensive when it is the "good stuff"!  It is not the kind of thing where you can just go ask your local jeweler.

There are helpful websites like this that can help you identify what you have:  Jadeite, Nephrite & Serpentine (epigem.de)   When our store needed an expert opinion on jadeite, or if we needed to order jadeite for stock or special order, we used Mason-Kay:  Natural Jadeite Jade and Jade Jewelry | Fine Jadeite Jade | Designer Jade Jewelry | Classic Jade Jew...

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for all that info Ideal. I definitely have to go to a jeweler. I mostly sell vintage signed costume jewelry....that's what I know about. I try not to get involved with gold or silver unless it's signed and tested. Jade is not in my wheelhouse. lol

Message 9 of 9
latest reply