cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Illegal

I've had a package go missing. The USPS tells me that it's illegal to have turquoise shipped to USA from foreign countries through US mail. Has anyone else ever had a similar experience?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Illegal

I certainly am no expert about the legality of importing turquoise.  But I wonder if someone at the USPS conflated turquoise with tortoise (tortoise shell)?  That seems a lot more plausible to me.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

No. They didn't mistake turquoise for tortoise shell. The usps has informed  me that "turquoise is prohibited in the mail stream." My package worth $1,000 has been held by my government for nearly 3 weeks now. It is sitting in Queens, N.Y. I HAVE RECEIVED NO OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS .

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

According to this USPS document, covering international mail regulations, precious stones and jewelry are allowed, but they have to be sent by specific classes of mail. For outgoing packages, that is First Class Mail International with registered mail service, or Priority Mail International.

Maybe your package was not sent by an equivalent service.

https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc1_013.htm

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I agree with @lacemaker3.  Your shipment was probably sent with an inappropriate mailing method and lacked necessary customs documentation for something that would be subject to duty and possibly a special licence.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

No. The package was 1st class registered mail.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

No. That was not the case. Registered mail. Sent to reject bin. Reasons given for USPS rejection change daily! The usps has told me that it is prohibited trail turquoise internationally. That's just not true. I think my package was stolen by a usps employee. Or, they rejected it improperly and are bending over backwards to try to justify their mistake.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@qcani_53, USPS has a US$400 declared value limit on outbound First Class International packages, registered or not.  There’s probably a similar restriction in place for inbound equivalent shipments.  

Why do you say the value of the item’s value and shipping method are “not the case”?  Only First Class International can be registered in the US.  Similar services in other countries are often called “Small Packets.”  Registered mail is a service that gets tacked onto First Class International, Small Packet, or international letterpost.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

It was sent registered. And turquoise is a semi- precious stone.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Was it just turquoise or jewelry with turquoise? If it was jewelry made to look like Native American jewelry than it is illegal to ship that to the US.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Honestly it was probably fake and confiscated. Importing turquoise isn't illegal, but fake turquoise is. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Read the feedback on one of the sellers u purchased from and I'd say it was fake turquoise. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply