cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

? re plastic barrel clasps

I see necklaces with plastic barrel clasps being called vintage in various listings. Just how old are they? Here are photos of the necklace I picked up today, tested for bakelite - it isn't.

DSC00188.JPG

DSC00189.JPG

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

I have a cold and couldn't do the sniff test.  My son tried it and thought he could smell something faintly.

Would a jeweler be able to tell just by look/feel? Or is this a fairly specialized thing the average jeweler might know?

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

dont black lights help with amber?

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Yes, I think Arlene has done some research with the UV / Blacklight.

I also test for amber by rubbing my finger over the surface. I find amber resists like it is a bit sticky compared to plastic.
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

I tried running my fingers along it and it does feel slightly sticky; also did it on a plastic necklace which was very smooth and not sticky at all.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

It is not a very scientific test but I use it on the fly 🙂
Message 20 of 22
latest reply

@pheasantvillecollectables519 wrote:

Would a jeweler be able to tell just by look/feel? Or is this a fairly specialized thing the average jeweler might know?

I very much doubt a jeweler would be of help here, you and I probably know more about amber than the average jeweler. 

This type of amber is treated. It does not occur naturally in this form. It is still amber, just not in its original state. I always think of the boat brooches produced in Russia when I think of this particular amber. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xamber+boat+brooch.TRS0&_nk...

Often folks think they are plastic, but they are  heat treated amber. 

I am 99% sure your necklace falls into this category. 

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

@old.crows.nest wrote:
It is not a very scientific test but I use it on the fly 🙂

And it is one more check mark on the list of tests:)

Arlene_v, is ambroid or pressed amber the term you were trying to remember?

I found this page that mentions them.

http://www.green-crafts.com/content/how-recognize-genuine-amber

Message 22 of 22
latest reply