Necklace with fabric backing...

made this way or somebody's repair job?

DSC00334.JPG

DSC00337.JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Could be either one. I got this necklace at Lane Bryant a couple of years ago and it came with a velvet backing. If someone was having a reaction to the chain, maybe this was their solution. Does it have a makers name on it?

DSC05257.JPGDSC05258.JPG

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Could be wrong..but  think the braided backing is original to the necklace..it just looks right & doesn`t look anything like the backing on the modern items. 

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I had a similar neckace and several years ago it was id'd as west germany here on this board - although there were no marks

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Early Miriam Haskell pieces have similar cord construction but the leaves and beads on this feel newer (1980s plastic) to me. I could be wrong though about my thought on date. Others have handled a lot more jewelry than I have and are more experienced.

Info on Haskell is available here. You can see she used cord backing but finishing is different.

http://imageevent.com/bluboi
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

No maker's name anywhere.

I would have sworn those leaves were metal, just from looking at them, but, you are right ocn, they are plastic.  The little yellow beads feel like glass.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

My first thought was West Germany too. I have a necklace of MOP leaves on similar braid, but with a different clasp. If you want to clean the braid (mine was filthy with makeup) try OxyClean for babies.

flotsamlogo
Message 7 of 7
latest reply