cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with necklace earring set..brutalist? modernist? 60s?

Not sure how to describe..it needs cleaning for sure..is it copper? Brass? Will semichrome hurt it? 20180425_163642.jpg

20180425_163649.jpg

20180425_163703.jpg

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

My vote is Mid Century Modern.  It definitely has a Southwestern USA feel to it, as well.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I would call it modernist.  It does look like copper.  Simichrome is safe for copper but not all silver polishes are, so be careful what polish you use.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

The black film isnt budging. Ugh...was hoping maybe i would find a hallmark or signature under all the black..but its not happening..so..MCM Modernist Copper Robins Egg Cabuchon..sound right?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

abbylil, I think the black areas are the intended result of oxidation - a finishing technique used to create a dark shadow-like effect. It would not be easy to remove.  I think this was done in order to highlight the focals mounted over the black areas. 

From the photo, unless I'm seeing discoloration, the metal looks plated to me, with spots of finish wear along the edges. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I agree that the blackened areas are intended to be that way, and I would probably not try to polish this.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Many copper pieces have a coating over them in order to stop the copper from turning colors and so that the skin doesn't turn green when wearing them.  I think that this has been coated with whatever it is that they use.  I also think that the black areas around the stones are done purposefully. 

A simple cleaner for copper is ketchup. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I agree with everyone and not polish it.  Yes mid century modern.  You should do well with it.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply