cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identifying Native american jewelry markings

Would appreciate any help identifying the maker's mark on this interesting sterling and lapis pendant.  It appears Native American to me, but I am open to other thoughts.  Thanks for your help

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Identifying Native american jewelry markings

The real question is .....will you be able to part with it ? It's so pretty . Congratulations and Good Luck ( if you do ) .
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Stunning piece, and substantial, too. Good eye on the Yazzi mark, I was also thinking it did not look NA.

Looks like the bail was added on and not part of the cast -- maybe it was meant to start life as a brooch? I also looked at his stuff online and loved it. I find I am more and more drawn to Navajo designers who are "fusing" with Zuni. He does it exceedingly well. Beautiful colors.

Thanks for posting this beauty and thanks to eclectic for letting us in on this artist.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

“Let’s work the problem, people. Let's not make things worse by guessing.” -Gene Kranz, Mission Control Director (played by Ed Harris), Apollo 13
Message 17 of 22
latest reply

I am not sure I am going to be able to part with it!

I have taken some close-ups of the bail and will attach to this post.  For some reason I seem unable to attach more than one photo per post, so I may have to submit 2 posts to send the 2 photos.

Thanks again to everyone!

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Leo Yazzie's work goes for 3 figures and more.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

Except for the handwritten mark I never woud have guessed NA.
Message 20 of 22
latest reply

It is lovely work.  I'm glad to have learned about it here, so thanks to you all.

Enjoy it, dewdropvintage, whether you end up keeping it or not!

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Leo Yazzie does integrate the bails right onto the pendants. I don't think the bail on yours is anything but original.

Check out this one;

hthttp://www.fineindianart.com/product/leo-yazzie-lapis-sterling-silver-necklace/#!pretty

From the only photo of Leo Yazzie I was able to find online he is elderly. I imagine his jewelry prices will only get pricier posthumously. Not wishing him any ill health, of course. 

Message 22 of 22
latest reply