cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help on this maltese cross and the mark on back

IMG_0117.JPGIMG_0118.JPGIMG_0119.JPGIMG_0120.JPGIMG_0122.JPG

Hi  I found a few like ones on ebay but none marked with the number and I think none had the pattern on the back either  Anyway  I thought this was vintage/antique, silver and from Israel   Was not sure what the number 06 was for but someone else emailed me and said they thought it was actually a 90 and meant that it had something to do with plating but they mentioned that it was German numbering     What are your thoughts on this piece?   I want to list it properly   I also thought that the chain was married to it but I found one with the excart chain on it  My chain is not marked    I have not scratch tested anything yet and the magnet sticks to nothing       Thank you for any help you can lend  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Help on this maltese cross and the mark on back

That's a Jerusalem cross. It's 900 silver. If it's stamped on European flatware it's a silverplate mark. The Israelis and other folks in that area used 90 for 900. Someone went to Israel and brought this back as a souvenir. A lot of them have amethysts in the center.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I believe that is 90 for 900/1000 Silver. My guess is Middle Eastern or Italian Region.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I agree that it's known as a Jerusalem cross, or crusader's cross,  I had a website showing all the different styles of crosses, but lost it with the new computer.  You might be able to find it under the name seiyaku.  There's a lot of meaning in this style  

photo rose_zps07ff3a19.jpg
Kay
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

ah! ok Tyvm I was so confused when the person told me about 90 meaning plate or thickness but thought I remembered hearing something like that Now i remember it was for flat\ware lol I think my brain is on overload lol Thank you I'l dig a little more and then post it again Anyone have any thoughts on the chain?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I think the Chain style looks correct for the area.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@the_jeweled_feline Yay I saved it I too lost everything when I switched my pc TYTYTY

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Beautiful design
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thank you If you look them up they are almost all quite beautiful in different ways!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply