cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know the era of this czech garnet gilt bracelet? TIA

Hi everyone, once again I need your expert opion. Does anyone know the era of this czech garnet bracele? It has very small hallmarks on the jump ring, which I finally made out to be the 900 silver mark for Czech. ( it is the left facing rabit with the number 3. I just do not know when it was made.

Also I do not know the value or best way to list, auction with buy it now, buy it now with make an offer, or even where to begin the auction or what to ask for a buy it now. In researching bohemian garnet 900 silver bracelets the sold price vary a great deal . So any help in this area would be awesone. TIA.

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

UPDATE: I just came from the jeweler and the stones are glass😞 not garnet. I am so glad that I did not list this as garnet. Thanks for all of you help.
Message 16 of 39
latest reply

Did the jeweler use a gem tester on them or just look at it ?

Message 17 of 39
latest reply

I expected Garnet too Smiley Frustrated

Message 18 of 39
latest reply

He just looked at them under magification and said that they were glass. 

Message 19 of 39
latest reply

Hmmm. I think you should get a second opinion on that. Not all jewelers are competent I'm afraid. One told me CZs were diamonds, so ....Do you know anyone who has a gem tester?

Message 20 of 39
latest reply

I don't know of any that has a tester. I have been thinking about getting on for myself but need to research a good inexpensive one.
Message 21 of 39
latest reply

I have a tester and would be happy to test this for you, I have done it for other boardies. You would send it to me, I will test it and send it back the same day. If you feel comfortable with that let me know and I will message you my address Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 39
latest reply

I would also get a second opinion.. Sorry I do not have a tester either.. I call everything glass unless I know, however that is so nice I would take someone up on the offer to test it.. I wish I could afford a gem tester or even a gold tester.

Message 23 of 39
latest reply

Update, Udate, Mforjan was kind enough to test these for me and the stones are indeed glass😞

Thanks to everyone who has helped with this bracelet. I am going to ask Santa for a gem tester for Christmas, does anyone have any suggestions.
Message 24 of 39
latest reply

😞

WoW! That is surprising. Garnets are not expensive so it is strange that a fully hallmarked item would have glass stones.
Message 25 of 39
latest reply

I agree to have the garnets double checked. f the jeweler didnt use a tester, just the eyes, there's a chance they made a mistake.

One thing Ive learned about the pretty garnet pieces is that the cut of the stones was used for some time.  One way to distinguish the older items is that they always? (or at least almost always) have closed backs.

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 26 of 39
latest reply

I trust Marie's results 🙂

It seems strange to use glass but maybe it was a question of colour since new garnets are not the same red as older ones?
Message 27 of 39
latest reply

I was bummed when they came up glass, I was really hoping garnets!

Message 28 of 39
latest reply

I have several pieces of Bohemian garnet jewelry from Victorian era through the present day.

All test as garnets, the oldest is a Victorian bow pin and the stones are open back. I have an 835 silver cross from the late Vic/early 20th century but those are closed.

The newest are made to look old in vermeil and they are open back.

I'm not sure there's a rhyme or reason to it, I can post pics if anyone would like to see.

I'm surprised these turned out to be glass though.

Message 29 of 39
latest reply

Yes please, we wana see the pretty pieces heart

Message 30 of 39
latest reply