cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know the era of this czech garnet gilt bracelet? TIA

Hi everyone, once again I need your expert opion. Does anyone know the era of this czech garnet bracele? It has very small hallmarks on the jump ring, which I finally made out to be the 900 silver mark for Czech. ( it is the left facing rabit with the number 3. I just do not know when it was made.

Also I do not know the value or best way to list, auction with buy it now, buy it now with make an offer, or even where to begin the auction or what to ask for a buy it now. In researching bohemian garnet 900 silver bracelets the sold price vary a great deal . So any help in this area would be awesone. TIA.

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

My understanding with this community page is that we don't price items.  Best advice that i have seen here is if you put an item up for auction then be sure to put your "happy" price as the beginning bid.  Bidding wars just don't happen that much.  Just saw on an other message which I thought was good advice to put higher priced items on Buy it Now.  Anyway can't help on info on your item but very nice!

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

Thanks so much for your reply. As always great advice. I will wait and see if anyone knows how old the bracelet is. Thanks again.

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

It is really hard to date these pieces.  They were and are being made the same today as they were in the 20s and 30s.  One way to tell if the piece is older is the color of the garnets.  The old "Bohemian" garnets are much darker than the newer garnets that have a bit more rust color to them.  But you have to test the stones to make sure they are garnets.  The glass makers from Czech made some stones that looked so much like deep red garnets that testing is the only way to know for sure.  If these are real garnets then I would date them to about 1910-1930 based off the cut of the stones and the findings on the bracelet.  IMHO

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 4 of 39
latest reply

Thanks Flipping, i guess I will have to take them to a jeweler and see if they will test them for me. Thanks for your help and I will update when I have more info.

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

I agree with Sandy, and you should check out Bohemian Garnet, it is in the style of the older Victorian Jewelry.. I does look like it to me, however get it gem tested too make sure.. Very nice. 🙂

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

The small hallmark you describe on the jump ring ( i.e. the rabbit mark with a 3) was first used 1957, and indicates this is 900 silver.

Up until that point a 2 was used on 900 silver...so this is useful to help pin down a date with hallmarked Czech  items.  This info is provided  on page 71  "World Hallmarks, Vol. 1 : Europe" published by the Hallmark Research Institute 2010.

So, if the jump  ring is original to the bracelet this would date it to after 1957.

When I first looked at this I must admit I saw a  Victorian style bracelet rather than a Victorian bracelet  because of the use of prongs to set the garnets, and also the backs ... I would expect to see completely closed backs in  older jewelry.

BTW, this is a very lovely bracelet!

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

Thanks Arlene, I missed the hallmark info.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 8 of 39
latest reply

Hi, I am just curious - how long is your bracelet?  It's so hard to tell from a picture.  Thanks, Claudia

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

I am so glad you asked this question  because from the pic it sure looks more like a necklace or choker ... but once before I  thought that a bracelet was a belt ... pics can be tricky!

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

Hi everyone, great information. I double checked the mark ( it is very small) and definitely number 3. So made after 1957.

Claudia, the bracelet measures 7-3/4".

I have not taken to jeweller yet. I always have to work up the courage to just pop in and ask about my pieces.

I am so glad I ask questions here before going full throttle after a little research. I saves me listing with wrong information.

Thanks to all of you.
Message 11 of 39
latest reply

Thank you.  I kept looking at this and thinking each link looked about 1" long so that would make it too long for a bracelet.  Pictures can be so deceiving!  LOL  Beautiful bracelet.  Claudia

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

Make sure to put it on the Coming Attreactions thread when you list, it's a beauty!

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

I sure will. I have never posted to the coming attractions post. Are there any rules about how long you need to wait after posting before you list the item?
Message 14 of 39
latest reply

@jeansandshoes wrote:
I sure will. I have never posted to the coming attractions post. Are there any rules about how long you need to wait after posting before you list the item?

Not really.  But it's just a good idea to give it at least a couple of hours to a couple of days before listing.  We haven't had a problem for a while, but there was a time when if you didn't give it a day or two there were certain people that got a kick out of reporting only certain people for advertising.  I know ... duh ... that is what Coming Attractions is for and was sanctioned by eBay.  However if the reporter caught the right person when they reported it could really get stupid.  So a little time between posting and listing is just a good idea.

The thread is designed to give those of us on the board a heads-up on what our fellow collectors are putting up for sale.

Message 15 of 39
latest reply