cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APRIL - MAY - JUNE CHAT

SPRING HAS SPRUNG ... for some of us.

flipping_treasures_0-1648851107363.jpeg

Come in, smell the flowers and chat with us.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 1 of 110
latest reply
109 REPLIES 109

Re: APRIL - MAY - JUNE CHAT

Cat bullies!

Message 61 of 110
latest reply

She knows where the food is in the neighborhood!

Message 62 of 110
latest reply

Oh the bun does have a home! That's too funny about he being a she and being named Sierra! lol But I'm glad her human found her, and I'm sure she'll be back, she knows where the nanners are! LMAO

As predicted we're cold here, again, today. We did get the camp yard cleaned up and mowed on Saturday and it was a really lovely day, weather wise. I'm hoping we're getting a bit warmer temps as this week goes on.

I've almost finished my Roseanne Granny Square Afghan, I'm putting the border on it now! I'll post pics when it's done. It was a labor of love, that's for sure!

Hot freight...pays good...Inline's gots ta go...whoop & ride, Honey, whoop & ride...Clark T Berendes 2-5-78 to 7-5-10
Message 63 of 110
latest reply

Eager to see your afghan, fredie!  I keep thinking about buying some yarn again..but I have about 60 cotton dishcloths I need to get the ends woven in..just keep putting it off.

I`ve really missed the bunny today.  Found myself constantly looking for her all day..but I doubt her human will be 'letting her out' again anytime soon.  I hope not anyway..is a miracle she hasn`t gotten caught by many of the dogs runnin loose at night around here.  She can`t be 'street savvy' that`s for sure.

Beautiful here today...is 81 right now.  I did a bit of yard work..hoping to plant my tomatoes, peppers & sow beans Saturday. 

This is the scawniest bunch of seedlings I`ve ever grown..I hope they do ok..if not I`ll be headed to the nursery a few blocks away.  I`m sure the peppers will be fine once planted..but I don`t have much confidence in the tomatoes  lol 

I ordered some Malobar Spinach seeds this weekend..it is a summer growing spinach & a climber.  Most spinach is a cool weather plant.

I gather it`s pretty prolific..says 2-3 plants would do a family.  I love raw spinach salad..not a big fan of cooked spinach..but I can eat it no problem. Always like to try something new every year. 

I have some cuke seeds to sow..but gonna have to decide where to plant...all my boxes & containers are spoken for.   Thinking about buying a kiddie pool to grow in

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 64 of 110
latest reply

I'd love to see the afghan too Fredi, sounds beautiful.  

I'm kind of sad that the bunny's owner has been found.  Maybe you should get one of your own?  Bunnies make great pets.  

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 65 of 110
latest reply

Sarah, a kiddie pool is a fantastic idea for a planter, never would have thought of that!!

My mom has a garden, but she cuts it back every year, so it's probably time I start my own, lol

House bunnies are the best (I had one a long time ago!) They can be litter trained like a cat!

My interpretation of the Roseanne Granny Square afghan is finally finished! Yay!!!! I'm so very pleased with the way it turned out!

Finished.jpg

Finished 2.jpg

I took those photos before I washed and dried it. Now that's it all the way done some of the ends I wove in are coming back out. Grr. I don't know how to prevent it from doing that! Anyone have any ideas?

Fluffed .jpg

Fluffed 2.jpg

I told the Plumber (when I was in the middle of weaving the ends in) that anyone who wants one of these, the cost is gonna be $1200. I said it, kinda like a joke. He said ain't no one gonna pay you $1200 for that. I said I know, I'm kidding, kinda. Then I said ya know, that's exactly the reason why I can't stay home and crochet all day, or do other crafty/quilty stuff. No one wants to pay for it! I have a minimum of 100 hours in that afghan (it took me a year and three months to make, in my spare time) and Illinois minimum wage is $12, so there's my hours, not even counting the yarn. It made me kinda sad to think that way, but only for a minute...then I looked at my afghan, again and I wasn't so sad, lol.

Hot freight...pays good...Inline's gots ta go...whoop & ride, Honey, whoop & ride...Clark T Berendes 2-5-78 to 7-5-10
Message 66 of 110
latest reply

Oh wow!  That is gorgeous, fredi!  I gotta admit (a bit embarrased)  I had no idea what ya meant by a Roseanne afghan  lol 

I think multi colored afghans are so fabulous..but I dislike changing colors so much  

As to the ends..I dunno what to tell you..what I crochet, I very seldom change colors, but when I do have to add a new skkein,  I leave long tails & weave them back & forth before cutting..haven`t had any peek out (that I know of).   But with so many colors....that has to be a nitemare! 

But oh so pretty!!

YOu`re right..nobody wants to pay what an item is worth...how people make a living with crafts is beyond me..unless you`re Amish & can quilt!  LOl

Message 67 of 110
latest reply

Fredi, have you ever tried gem tac? Don't know how it will work for yarn but I have used a light coat to stop threads from unraveling beyond what I want on fabric.

Message 68 of 110
latest reply

Thank you!! I'm very very excited about how it turned out! I should have made it way sooner!

I've talked to a few people and I'm going to try to weave as much of them back into it as I can and see if using a tiny drop of fray check, wiggled in the stitches will work. I don't want to use too much as fray check will cause it to get a bit crunchie. I'm not at all sure if that will hold during a wash, but I shall see! haha

Sarah, that's what kept me from doing one for so long, all the color changes. FTR there are no two granny squares a like in that afghan! I was telling my boss about it and he's just looking at me like who is Roseanne? I'm finally like the TV show! I grew up watching that show and loved it!

I keep thinking, one of these days, one of these days I can stay home and craft and be so much happier, lol, but that day is not today (or tomorrow, lol). If I thought I could make it work, I'd start working part time at a 'job' and part time at the crafting/quilting/crocheting...

Message 69 of 110
latest reply

Great job on the afghan, Fredi! I'm working on one for my daughter's baby. I had a substantial start going but I was worried at first that it wouldn't lie flat. Then I became totally convinced that it wouldn't. The center was pooched up like some sort of idiotic floppy hat. So I started over this morning. Got a long way to go, and I want to give it to her in about one month. Guess I won't be doing much other than crocheting!

A. 

Message 70 of 110
latest reply

Thirry, I really really really hate frogging any of my crochet projects, lol. So I feel your pain!

I posted this photo on facebook a couple of weeks ago, with the caption:

Be kind to everyone you meet today, you never know who had to frog almost half of their crochet project last nite...

Frogged 04 14 22.jpg

What? No one else keeps their yarn a cakes or skeins in a coffee can on the floor? It's the best yarn holder, lol.

Message 71 of 110
latest reply

That's a great post, Fredi. It's very appropriate for me right now (and others, I'm sure).

We had coffee cans when I was a kid but later on nobody drank enough coffee to justify buying it in quantity. My grandmother (on my father's side) drank gallons of coffee, pretty much all the time. I used to beg for a cup when we'd have supper with her. I'd load it with sugar and coffee mate (she never bought any other brand). The tiny amounts I drank were mostly sugar and coffee mate with very little actual coffee. The adults would all tell me it would stunt my growth. I'd protest and they'd keep teasing me. They thought they were sooo funny. Unfortunately, I stopped growing in the 5th grade and I only got to 4'11". I was haunted for years, afraid I'd had too much coffee. Pretty funny now. I come from a long line of short women. I'm the shortest, tho. 

A. 

Message 72 of 110
latest reply

Ain`t nuttin worse than to have to unravel & start over!!!   The coffee can is a good idea! 

Wonder how the  'coffee will stunt your growth' phrase ever got started.  

I got everything planted yesterday..was whupped last night worked outside from 8:30 to 4..but is done.   30 tomatoes & 31 asstd pepper plants..plus cukes, spearmint, more lettuce, & green beans.  All plants were standing this morning  But they`re so puny. worst seedlings I`ve ever set out!  LOL.  But..they`re still alive as of now  

I have one 4x4 box left..I`ll plant some okra in it  & hopefully when beans are done..I can plant some late tomatoes in that box..But I still might add a few more containers   Still thinking on a kiddie pool lol  But whatever I do..will have to get some more cinder blocks to get containers off the ground.  Unless I can rig up something else  lol  

Walmart finally decided to deliver soil from store..it`s been on mark down..they limit ya 6.  I`ve bought 2 times & just ordered 6 more for delivery tomorrow.  If I don`t use it this year.(still have window boxes if I decide to plant them)  I`ll have it for next year.  Will try & get some more before it goes back up in price.  I just pray garden does good

Was whupped last nite..but felt good to have it done (for the most part)  Guess this means I`ll be forced to some some spring cleaning now in order to have something to do! LOL!  

I actually had a sale the other day! First in a long time, it seems.   To show ya how Pitiful has been..when the email came in..took a moment to figure out what the cat hair tommy it was all about!   Now that`s BAD!  LOL

Not much else happening...Sierra was back again Thursday & stayed all day.  Then I didn`t see her Fri, but she came back yesterday around 5ish.  Dirty & starving. I asked her if she`d been out partying..maybe some baby bunnies headed our way?  I hope not!  LOL  

She was halfway in my lap for her nanner!  She ate half..then ate some of her bunny food.  I can`t get her to drink from a bowl tho.  I bet she has a bottle attached to her cage to drink from.  I`ll probably have to get her one & hopefully can attach to our fence. Poor thing..I don`t like to see her not drinking as warm as it`s been. She stayed in back yard till late.  I`m scared a dog is gonna get hold of her..too many running loose at night
Message 73 of 110
latest reply

FINALLY  able to get back in here after being unable to all day yesterday & till just now.   

Message 74 of 110
latest reply

Glad that you were able to get back in.  

Sounds like you are in the planting mood.  

Been busy here.  Trying to decide what I want to keep and what to let go of over to the house.  Had to do some rethinking on how I'm going about things.

We have our first trip planned for July.  Going up to Missouri at a campground on Table Rock Lake for a month.  Michelle's mother lives around there.  Should be fun.

I traded my KIA Soul in this weekend for a newer Blazer.  I wanted a heavier car for driving all over the country.  Just feel safer on the highways.  But it was really hard giving her up after seven years.  But needs change.

Hope everyone is doing OK.

Message 75 of 110
latest reply