cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does ebay let people sell fake/mislabeled seeds?

I ordered 5 different variety of exotic peppers and blackberry seeds a few months ago. I got a bunch of Bell peppers and mustard seeds. The seller has been doing this for over a year without retribution. How do I get this guys info so I can sue him myself? I don't know that the plants are wrong until they start bearing fruit which takes more than 90 days. They need to change how they sell seeds on here as I can't even warn people now because of the review time constraint. This is a class 1 misdemeanor where I'm from. How to ebay not liable? He also has 100s of reviews saying his a scammer and the seeds are fake. Does ebay ever ban sellers anymore?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Why does ebay let people sell fake/mislabeled seeds?

Court? How will you prove that the plants you have came from seeds you bought from a particular person? 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I don't know that the plants are wrong until they start bearing fruit which takes more than 90 days.

eBay is not a good place to buy things that cannot be fully evaluated within thirty days of receipt, since after that point buyers are unable to use the money back guarantee. And feedback can only be left within sixty days of a purchase.

You may still have some recourse through your payment method; PayPal and many credit cards offer up to six months protection from the date of purchase.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Sympathies! I grow some flowers from seed and I stick to only growing what is native to my area. I do lots of research before I buy seeds from any seller. Maybe see if you can speak with the legal department of EB to see if they have any ideas to help you? I truly hope EB makes some provision so that seed feedback can be left 6 months after purchase exactly for this type of situation.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Sometimes it's research on what the seeds should look like.  Sometimes it's common sense, but some people don't know the basics and just rely on the listings.  Just look on here how many listings there are for blue/black/purple strawberries and rainbow roses.  All those plants have NEVER existed, yet plenty of listings for them with some poorly photoshopped pics or just color changed pics of the real thing.  Of course it's seeds, so the buyer has no way of knowing it's all fake until months later.  Personally, I buy bulk bareroot strawberries or done my own divisions and I've never had a problem.  Also growing roses from seed is nearly impossible, but again that's just research and people don't want to spend $30 on a rose bush, but they'll spend $10 on magic rose seeds that will never grow.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

For the very reasons that you've cited here, would not ever buy seeds on eBay.  Surely there are enough other sources for the things you want to plant?

Did this seller have feedback that mentioned these same problems?

And how would eBay have any idea that a seller was listing fake or mislabeled seeds? 

You are free to report this to eBay, but your options of receiving a refund through eBay are gone. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply