cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ancestry DNA Kits Sold on Ebay

I purchased two Ancestry kits from a seller with excellent feedback.  The price was excellent--less than half of what Ancestry.com sells them for.  I was skeptical, but I looked at their feedback.  I also Googled "buying Ancestry kits on Ebay".  I also scoured the Ancestry.com website for "warnings" and threads.  I found nothing, so I went ahead and purchased them.  They arrived, on time and sealed.   I opened the kits and proceeded to create my accounts on the Ancestry website.  I entered my activation code, but received an error message.  Not the type of error message I would have expected with a bogus product.  Instead, the error message said something like "Oops.  Some data isn't loading.  Some things may be missing on the page. Try again later".  I tried different computers, different browsers, I tried Googling this error, etc.  I called Ancestry's Customer Service and they immediately shut me down when they learned that my kits were purchased on Ebay.  They told me that they do NOT support kits purchased outside of their website or Amazon--the only other authorized reseller.  They would not help me at all.  One customer service rep went so far as to imply that my seller was a "scammer" who purchased his kits from them, then cancelled their order to receive a refund, and then re-sold me their kits.  Makes no sense.  Anyway, I have requested a refund from the seller for defective kits.  I am awaiting his response.  But this brings me to my questions:

1.  Has anyone else had this issue with the activation codes? I really wish they would work. 

2.  Why are there no message threads about Ancestry not supporting kits bought on Ebay?  If I was scammed, why wasn't there a warning somewhere out there?  Ebay is full of threads warning folks about fake jewelry, fake fashions, etc.  

Bottom Line:  Ancestry will NOT give you customer support on any kits purchased on Ebay.  You've been warned.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

I suspect that they are fake, maybe stolen.  There were some being offered locally in some of the drugstores (also fake pee test "paternity tests" in dollar stores) here in DC (from China) that were NOT from Ancestry (and didnt work either).  You get what you pay for.  Ancestry (and 23 and me) also registers you into databases to do family searching and matching and can be expanded to look for inherited diseases.  So why would they provide help or support for someone else's products?

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

If you've only asked the seller to refund you, you should go ahead and file a claim for SNAD==
significantly not as described. There are time limits for claims, and some sellers will string you along. You can also try paypal for a refund.
Janet
Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Sorry, but haven't you heard: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. I'd go to official Ancestry page first, read all the disclaimers, FAQ, forums threads and etc. to make sure everything would be OK and then would've bought it.

You still have a chance to get your money back if Buyer Prot. Period hasn't passed already. Open an IND case and write your situation down: official manufacturer/distributor doesn't want to accept them or claims it's fake.
Message 4 of 32
latest reply

I agree with the last two answers. Sometime in the past month I remember reading a MSN NEWS story on problems with ancestry searches. I am certain a more thorough search would have helped you before buying.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

i found this on the ancestry.com web site in their terms and conditions, so it is not permissible to resale the kits:

3. Additional Terms Applicable to Your Use of DNA Services

As used in these Terms, the “DNA Services” refers to the use of our DNA collection kit, processing and handling of your DNA sample, genetic testing of your DNA sample, and our web or mobile app-based tools that provide you with ethnicity and other genetically related results and associated services, offer you the ability to view genetic matches that can identify potential relatives, help you explore your ethnic and family origins, and make new discoveries through your DNA.

The purpose of the DNA Services is to provide genetic and genealogy results and related reports for your informational, recreational, educational and research use.

Requirements for Using the DNA Services: By using the DNA Services you also agree:

• You will not resell DNA test kits;
Message 6 of 32
latest reply

Most sellers of Ancestry DNA kits are involved in a huge e-commerce theft ring and use stolen credit card numbers to buy the kits, and they're having the kits sent straight from Ancestry to the buyer. Ebay is well aware of this, as I reported it several times over last year. They do not care, unfortunately.  All eBay does is eventually remove the seller account, and the thieves simply make new accounts.  Ancestry has also been made aware of this issue, but I do not know what they have done to confront it.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

I've noticed a lot of sellers, selling 23andme kits really cheap and the sellers have 0-2 feedbacks and that's it. When I've questioned several, I received no replies. Make one wonder.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

I just had my credit card stolen and used to buy kits on ancestry.com. If you are buying kits on eBay, it is likely someone is being robbed.
Message 9 of 32
latest reply

The same thing happened to me twice with 2 different Sellers.

When I contacted the Seller they sent me different kits.

I found if you activate them as soon as you receive them

they will register.  However, if you do not activate them

right away they become invalid.

I have no clue as to why this is the case but there must be something

shady on the part of the Seller.

If you contact the Seller and he offers to send you new kits be

sure to activate them immediately.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

This exact scenario just happened to me.
So, I called ancestry and they looked up the two serial numbers I had from two ebay sold kits. Ancestry said they were previously purchased from them, and mailed out, and then the buyer canceled the transaction (he bought and resold eight tests like this).

I currently have a dispute with this unscrupulous, shameful seller.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

I called, and ancestry.com said the seller of my two kits, canceled his order of 8 kits from ancestry, after he received them (and before he sold them on ebay). ancestry automatically nullified the serial numbers when this guy canceled his transaction and received a refund from them.

It is a huge disappointment, as one kit was a birthday present for my son.

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

AncestryDNA does not honor kits bought on eBay. My son bought 2 brand new kits, one for his dad and one for his sister. They will not activate or replace. They do not honor kits purchased on eBay. They suggested we open a dispute and try to get our money back. Please do not sell an ancestryDNA kit to an innocent buyer. We just spent two hours on the phone trying to figure this out. It's not worth the stress and we are out payment for two kits.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

If it makes you feel any better, many people return FAKE Chanel purses for repairs under warranties that they didnt pay for.  No surprise that Chanel KEEPs and DESTROYS the fake purses.  There is a reason a real Chanel purse costs $800 and up.  If you want the cache support, you need to pay for the cache support and buy from the legit seller/manufacturer.

And FYI - many of the kits sold here are actually MORE EXPENSIVE than what you can find on the legit sites buying directly.  There are also often sales and coupons you can use to lower the cost if it is too much for you.

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

May I ask who was the seller I just bought a new kit of eBay and now I'm having doubts ,this is the seller who I bought it from.

trangtran95

Message 15 of 32
latest reply