cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcing: Wholesale & Dropshipping

Can anyone bless me with some leads for REAL Wholesale and Dropshipping companies? I do enjoy the hunt for finding those gems to flip, but the income isn't steady and so I'm lookin gto expand my store with some regular merchandise - thus the quest for REAL wholesale and/or dropshipping companies. I don't have a niche market yet and am open to various ones. Just finding some genuine profitable sources seems to be taking priority. I've been researching for quite some time only to be left with a pile of stress from all the fake companies. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re: Sourcing: Wholesale & Dropshipping

No.

Because why would anyone set up a competitor and reduce their own income?

However, if you are willing to do some work yourself.

Go to the Yellow Pages. The paper one. If you don't have one yourself, go to the Public Library.

It doesn't have to be the latest one, in fact there are benefits to having older imprints.

You may need to get the YP for the nearest metropolis. One you can drive to preferably.

Now choose something you know something about. If you are a plumber, look under plumbing. If you are a hairdresses, look under Beauty.

Look for wholesalers, jobbers,  manufacturers and importers.

Phone the companies and make an appointment.

Discuss with the sales rep what they have available and what sort of terms and conditions they offer.

If you are asked for a sales tax license you have met a Real wholesaler. If not, you are paying full retail.

This is because the company gets a rebate on their own tax remittances when they sell to a re-seller, who will be remitting tax on the higher priced item.

Jobbers and liquidators have more varied stock.

Seconds, abandoned stock, deadstock (items that have not sold at regular retail, but a lot of this business is now handled by companies like Winners or TJ Maxx), unclaimed airport baggage, overruns, expired or close to expired items. Also returned merchandise.

This requires close inspection.

Does a TV program called The Liquidator play in your area? That gives you a very good idea of the business and of the markups.

Now, payment.

At first you will be asked to pay upfront. Most will accept a credit card, which will give you 30 days to pay.

Later the company may allow you 30 days or 60 days to pay. You have to be a very good customer to get 90 days.

The company won't accept returns.

Above all.

AVOID THE INTERNET.

The reason the older YP books are best is that it takes about 6 months for them to publish from first contact with the company advertising there.

So the company you reach has been in business for at least 6 months.

An internet scammer can put up a convincing website, including fake reviews, in a few hours. Once he had your money, he can disappear, only to reappear with a different name and website a few days later to repeat the process.

Go to the company. Inspect what you are going to offer to sell.

Understand what warranties the company will give and what they won't. (Most won't warranty items sold online.)

KNOW WHAT YOU SELL; SELL WHAT YOU KNOW

If you go into dropshipping, you don't ever see the product. If your buyer is unhappy, he blames you not your supplier.

You don't control packaging. If your buyer is unhappy, he blames you not your supplier.

You don't control shipping . If your buyer is unhappy, he blames you not your supplier.

You don't control returns and repairs. If your buyer is unhappy, he blames you not your supplier.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply