cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half.com will be closing on August 31, 2017, Very Sad!

Half.com will be closing on August 31, 2017. half.com an ebay company  View in: Browser   Dear Seller,

This letter is to inform you that Half.com will be closing on August 31, 2017, and you will not be able to sell on the platform following that date. Returns will continue to be processed until October 31, 2017.

We would like to thank you for your support of Half.com – some of you have been with us since we launched in 1999. We have enjoyed being part of your selling journey and wish you ongoing success. For all of your future marketplace needs, visit the eBay Seller Center to learn how to grow your business on eBay.

If you have any questions about this letter, please reach out to us at service@half.com or visit Half.com Closing FAQ for more details.

Sincerely,
The Half.com Team

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

Start your own site. Sell from Facebook, network that way.
Message 31 of 67
latest reply

I lowered my prices to move what I can before HDC closes.  I don't like Amazon with all the $1.00 sellers and ebay is a PIA.  I did have a HDC sale this month, hope to have a couple more by 8-31.  My small inventory will go to half priced books.  I need a new hobby.

Message 32 of 67
latest reply

I hear ya... I've been at this for 17 years and have sold hundreds of books through half. I certainly felt it was the best, most convenient place to sell (easy listing, no listing cost, easy to organize my inventory) not to mention BUY books, but this past year has been really sad, sales-wise. I did a clean out of inventory in the Spring before the announcement, but I still have 1900 listed. I've known for a while that it is time for me to move on, and, as sad as it is, it is a blessing that Half is closing for that reason - it forces me to clear out my shelves. I will really miss all you old-timers that kept us all talking and entertained on the old boards and here. I'll miss half.

As for other places to sell ... eBay has my attention for a while as I clean out my house. Amazon is fine if you have a book that has some worth (seriously - who sells for $.01???). I also swap books at www.paperbackswap.com and sell some homeschooling-related items at www.homeschoolclassifieds.com. I'm curious to check out a few others that have been mentioned.

Good chatting with you all! I wish you all the best in the future! Good-bye, Half - you've been great!
Message 33 of 67
latest reply

Books for 0.01 are pretty much gone from Amazon ever since they increased their fees and started charging commission on shipping (because they also let Professional Sellers set their own shipping rates).  The result is that the cheapest is now about $5 with shipping.  (Anything cheaper means the seller may not have noticed yet that the fees went up!)

I find eBay better than half.com for DVDs, which is not to say that my sales are great.  But nothing was selling on half.com and I sold a couple on eBay.  (I also got people offering me ludicrously low offer prices--$4 for a DVD listed for $23?  Really?

It's the eBay 50-listing limit that gets me (since re-listings every month count against that monthly limit).  I sell nowhere near enough to warrant a store.

Message 34 of 67
latest reply

I started moving books to E-bay and am having to pay listing fees.  BOO

Message 35 of 67
latest reply

You can list 50 items a month with no fees, but a relisting, even an automatic one, counts against your 50.  They do occasionally have an offer of an additional 50 free auction listings.

Another gotcha is that unless you have an eBay store (which involves a fee) you cannot put your listings on vacation.  You have to end them and then relist when you return, which can mean more fees.  The logistics are a lot trickier than half.com.

Message 36 of 67
latest reply

HDC appears in its last days to be reviving an old flaw. In the past 2 days I have recieved two orders for books that were oreviously sold  and delisted. 

Message 37 of 67
latest reply

One more week to the JUDGEMENT DAY for HDC

😌 😌 God Bless You 😌 😌

Message 38 of 67
latest reply

I'm going to miss the posters here.  I can't say I'll miss the sales--I've had only four this year, up from three last year.  Which of course is indicative of why it's closing--too much maintenance for too little return for half/ebay.  I wonder, though, what the megasellers brought in--I must admit that once or twice a year I would "book-binge" with a half-dozen or so 75-cent books from a single mega-seller (to take advantage of the shipping discount).  The River has no "multiple-book-order" discount for 3P sellers. 😞

I'm migrating some of my stuff to eBay.  Basically I'll do 30-day non-renewing listings for my 50 free listings a month, dropping stuff that gets hardly any views, and use the occasional 50 free auction style for 10-day auctions trying out new stuff.  (And I'll sart with all the stuff I can't sell on the River--vintage carving/knife set, anyone?)

Message 39 of 67
latest reply

I loved Half.com so much, first as a user, then as a developer. I'm very sad to see it pass. So I wrote my own little eulogy for it.

https://medium.com/@rayhill/half-com-shutting-down-again-farewell-old-friend-33d758fe30b

Message 40 of 67
latest reply

Two days to go before HDC pulls the plug.   Is Amazon the #1 spot for books or is there another favorite among booksellers.  Chime in and tell us what your HDC-AD plan is.

Message 41 of 67
latest reply

I have never solf on Amazon due to other sellers complaints. There are ABE.Com  & of course eBay.

Message 42 of 67
latest reply

Amazon has higher fees, but also more "eyeballs".  The fees make it unprofitable for ordinary sellers to sell even a mass-market paperback for less than $4, and of course the DVD and CD markets are pretty much closed to new sellers as well.  (For the latter categories, eBay seems the best choice.)

The eBay limits of 50 listings/relistings per month, and 100 maximum listings at any one time make it difficult for the medium-sized seller to use as their only outlet.  It's fine for someone selling a dozen items or so, or for a store selling hundreds of items (because they can afford to become an eBay store), but for a small seller who has a few hundred books that are not flying off the shelves, it's a problem.

Most of the other bookselling sites require a monthly fee; the exception seems to be Biblio.com.

Message 43 of 67
latest reply

SO SAD ABOUT THIS! IS TODAY REALLY THE LAST?
Message 44 of 67
latest reply

Will the last one here Please turn off the lights. Via co dios.

Message 45 of 67
latest reply