cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why on earth are Coach bags so popular?

I see endless Threads on this Board all  the  time asking for information  about that particular Brand.    I don't get it.  To me that brand has always consistef  of  plain boring designs.   And I epeciallly dislike  that dreary  brown color they use most of the  time. 

But there must  be  something terrific  about these bags---or  they   would not  be so popular.  What is it?

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

When was the last time you actually set foot in a Coach store? Maybe you should try it some time.

"On the Internet, no one knows if youre a dog.
EVERYONE knows if youre an idiot."
Message 2 of 34
latest reply

I'm not a big fan of the newer Coach bags but the older so called "Vintage" bags that are all leather and no lining for the most part are timeless examples of leather craftmanship that will last for decades if treated right. My 2 Cents.

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

I'm just a lurker here, but you're right.  My vintage Coach and Dooneys will always be my favorites.

I've never heard of anyone but Coach who made a handbag so durable that it could be washed in the sink.  They spring back to life once thoroughly dried and look better than ever.

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

My opinion only:  I TOTALLY disregard the newer Coach bags.  I think they are not even worth considering.  But I LOVE the fabulous style and quality of  vintage and older Coach.

If you are the person who wants the newest and latest "frou frou" bags…then Vintage Coach is not your thing.

Many questions here ARE about the older bags.

Vintage Coach bags are classy and will ALWAYS make a statement about your personal style. 

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

@garmentvarmint2004 wrote:

And I epeciallly dislike  that dreary  brown color they use most of the  time. 

I'm not sure which is the "dreary brown color" you see so often but these examples are a very incomplete example of some of the many color choices that are available.  More to come in following post. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

More: 

albertabrightalberta

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

Coach-vintage-16.jpg

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

@coach_purse-oot wrote:

Coach-vintage-16.jpg

@coach_purse-oot

Is that picture taken at the archives? 

albertabrightalberta

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

ALBERTA..

Thanks  for that information.   I see now that the  color I so much dislike is  called Saddle. 

OK.    The reason people like Coach is  the QUALITY  of these bags.    Both the leather  they use-and the  superior  construction.  (IMO it could not  be the attractiveness of  their designsSmiley Surprised.)

All   right.  I sort of understand now.  HOWEVER  I  mysef  am  going to  stick with Brahmin.Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

FASHION...

To answer your question,  I have never been in a  Coach store!   Years ago  one of those stores  opened up on the  Upper West Side in  Manhattan.   I stopped to look in,  and I could to  believe my  eyes,  I thought  this  New Brand  was  so  unattractive!   Then   I saw the  high  price on  one of   bags---   I shook my head ----and  I  walked right away.  

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

Just my opinion but Coach isn’t that popular anymore. Maybe popular to sell but not really popular to buy. where I live, they are yesterdays news. Coach was popular for a while but now Michael Korda is the popular brand. I’m not a fan of either brand. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 13 of 34
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

Just my opinion but Coach isn’t that popular anymore. Maybe popular to sell but not really popular to buy. where I live, they are yesterdays news. Coach was popular for a while but now Michael Korda is the popular brand. I’m not a fan of either brand. 

To the best of my knowledge, Michael Korda is a writer, not a purse designer.

"On the Internet, no one knows if youre a dog.
EVERYONE knows if youre an idiot."
Message 14 of 34
latest reply

I'm sorry, I feel like an interloper here because I know nothing about fashion items and luxury goods. But I took a quick look at your OP and chuckled — a bit of "The Emperor's New Clothes," I guess.slight_smile

But I do have a little experience with Coach. I needed a new wallet and I had a little money to burn from a modest inheritance. So I went to a Coach outlet store and found a serviceable wallet (don't remember exactly what I paid for it). It felt much heavier and sturdier than any wallet I had ever owned, which was nice. But it was also so stiff that if you put more than five bills in it it wouldn't fold all the way over. So I kind of began to regret the purchase.

That was almost 10 years ago.  Now, it barely shows any wear even though I use it almost every day. It's much more supple, but it doesn't feel worn. And the leather has aged to a rather handsome dark brown.

I honestly don't mean this as either a criticism or defense of Coach goods. But as someone who is used to using cheaper stuff, it certainly has been a different experience.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.Smiley LOL

Message 15 of 34
latest reply