cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple stain removal

This may have  been posted before, if so I apologize for the repeat. I usually skip over the stain removal posts b/c I can't find the ingredients posted.

Someone posted this one on FB today. It's just Dawn, peroxide, and baking soda.  They had it as a mixture but i just poured a little of each on two different spots on two items today.  I had already tried shout, fels naptha, dawn alone, and the stain removal that comes with Dryel. They didn't budge.  I let them soak, rubbed it in, and let them set about 2 hours. 

Stains are gone.  No sign of them.

If you are like my husband and you have to measure everything, it's

1 tsp. Dawn dishwashing detergent
3-4 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide
couple tablespoons of baking soda.

Scrub on with a brush. 

Message 1 of 135
latest reply
134 REPLIES 134

Re: Simple stain removal

I ironed a pair of NWT Mossimo shorts after spraying them with tap water (just to get a pic without the wrinkles) and ended up with altered colors due to that tap water.....I left Shout a tad too long on a spot on Wrangler denim jeans and ended up with a bleached spot..I used automotive paint reducer to "melt" a spot of paint on Levi jeans and had success..

My point is that stain removal is SO contingent on the quality of the "dye-ing" process employed by those southeast Asian clothing producers, and others, making it a  "stain remover beware" scenario.

.And my experience is based on running a highline auto detail business (in a prior life) where I confronted carpet, upholstery, leather stains on a regular basis.

Message 91 of 135
latest reply

Yesterday I listened to an interview on NPR with Jolee Kerr, she has a book out "My Boyfriend Barfed In My Handbag And Other Things Martha Can't Answer" and I immediately went to Ebay and purchased two!  This woman is not only funny but her interview was enlightening and practical.  Check her out!

Message 92 of 135
latest reply

I find whink for stain removal works best. It's advertised for removing rust stains but it worked on my counter tops also, when nothing else would remove the stains. Whink is usually sold in hardware stores. Try it it works well on lots of stains but in particular rust stains.

rita farmer
Message 93 of 135
latest reply

I am a great believer in Oxiclean.  I mix the powder in warm water.  Not only does it remove many fabric stains, but it is a great all purpose household cleaner for showers & tubs, blinds, carpet, just about anything!  Just be very careful if you use it on hard surace floors as it makes the floor EXTREMELY slippery!

Message 94 of 135
latest reply

I  have used straight hydrogen peroxide on numerous jeans dark and light - put it directly on there and scrub with a tooth brush - if not all gone repeat - worked like a charm and did not remove color

Message 95 of 135
latest reply

Does it matter which scent of Dawn is used? There are so many now and I usually get the hand renewal

Dollar Got The Blues
Message 96 of 135
latest reply

"blue Dawn" (original) is typically what's recommended.  Sometimes you'll hear others saying they've had success with other types, even generic brand blue dish soap.  Right now I have the Hand Renewal as well (I'm getting so sick of the smell, even sticks to my hand washed pans, ugh), and I've had success removing stains with this recipe.

Message 97 of 135
latest reply

I didn't read this entire thread so if someone has already posted about this product I apologize in advance.  It's especially for vintage linens & it dones a wonderful job removing stains & yellowing.It's says it's safe for most fabrics, is enviromentally safe & easy to use. It's calleed Restoration. it's made by engelside products of Lancaster, PA.

I've used this a lot on vintage linens & it works miracles. It hasn't had a bad effect on colors either. It says it's color safe. It also removes odors.

I purchased some vintage pillow cases that were beautifully embroidered. They were literally dark brown from age. I used this product & they came out bright white & the colored embroidery was fine too.

I would think that it would work great on stains on clothing too.

Message 98 of 135
latest reply

What is the product called that you use for vintage linen?
Message 99 of 135
latest reply

I was listening to NPR the other day, and in some bizarre interview about stains, a woman swore that Spit, yes our actual SPIT will remove a blood stain... Creepy, eh?

Message 100 of 135
latest reply

Anyone know how to remove pit stains? Silk fabric. 

Message 101 of 135
latest reply

Thanks! 🙂
Message 102 of 135
latest reply

How would this formula work on vintage cotton tablecloths that have yellow stains?
Message 103 of 135
latest reply

That makes sense, sorta gross, but the enzymes in saliva that begin the digestion process would probably work on an organic stain like blood. Interesting.

Anyone who thinks that money can't buy happiness has never paid a shelter pet's adoption fee
Message 104 of 135
latest reply

Denatured Alcohol will remove most ink stains.  That is the ingredient in hairspray and sunscreen that dissolves the ink.  The pure stuff works much better.  You can buy this at a paint or hardware store,  It is not the drug store stuff.  Rit color remover will remove the pink. washed with a red sock color from whites.  I would love to find something that would remove it from colors.

Message 105 of 135
latest reply