cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers using strongly perfumed detergents

hi all,  occasionally i buy clothing on ebay and half the time the seller has tried to do the right thing and make sure the item is clean.. which, of course, i appreciate.. but because of my physical condition i cannot tolerate perfumes  ...so i use fragrance free detergents and dish soaps in my house... 

some of the smelly detergents are worse than others but when i run the item in the wash THREE TIMES  and  hang it in the sun for 4 or 5 days and it Still Smells...  well, lol, i just had to come looking for you guys to see if you could pass the word ...

maybe a new policy that is strongly encouraged that detergents used be Fragrance Free?  they do not cost any more 

i would so appreciate this. 

thanks  

:  )

(currently have two shirts and one skirt on the line outside giving ol ms sun a chance to desmellify them)

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Sellers using strongly perfumed detergents

Very well said, jsales.
Years ago I got rid of all chemical cleaners/soaps etc in my home, not because of smells - because I am a bit of a tree hugger and believe they are bad for us and the environment. BUT - I do not expect everyone else to share my views. I can only control things in my own home. I buy quite a bit online and in thrift shops - it all gets washed immediately anyway, because who knows where it's been. I, too, practically sprint through the aisle with all the smelly things in them (sprays, fresheners, etc), but that's just ME. Heck, I even switched to 'natural' perfumes (there are some amazing ones).

Anyway - my point is - those are my views, but I don't expect everyone to have the same opinion.

PS - @lalatheartist, if you receive a stinky clothing item, try adding a cup of white vinegar to your rinse water. It's great at removing odors and the vinegar smell will dissipate in the dryer.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Dr. Martin Luther King
Message 16 of 24
latest reply

I too am sensitive to smells. I think, for me, the problem got worse when the companies started making the scents last for days on end.

I once had to stay at my MILs house and my SIL generously gave up her bed. Except I could barely stay there because everything was washed in the ultra strong detergent that last forever. I did it and didnt complain because I didnt want to be that person.

So I dont wash my clothing in fragrence detergents, but totally get that some do.

Putting vinegar in the wash may help take the smell out, if you can stand the vinegar smell.

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

so! I just got some sort of message from the EBAY community asking me to decide which one of your replies with a solution to my problem. But none of your replies were solution to my problem. before I even came in here and started this discussion I was already doing all of those things with the vinegar and baking soda and washing the clothes many times and hanging them out on the line for days on end.… I came in here hoping for a discussion about hell wouldn't it be neat if clothing being sent out to customers... be fragrance free. But that didn't happen ...that discussion.

instead, what happened was a reiteration about what i hadalready said about what I was doing to make the bad smells go away, with an occasional rude little snipe accusing me of dictating how you should live your lives.

in my opinion, some of you enjoy your private little group of people here and you don't like other people coming in and upsetting your little boat.…… I'm here in the real world it's called Power tripping.

and you can have it.

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

and i just want nothing to do with it. when i first came on the internet 20 years ago i got caught up in this kind of drama and figured out really really soon that it is just stupid. evidently some of you havent figured that out yet.

i was in here once before, about 5 years ago, and pretty much the same thing happened then too which is why it took 5 years and me forgetting, lol, about it.

this time i will never forget.
Message 19 of 24
latest reply

your reply started out nice enuf but towards the end nosedived into dark accusation... my "rant" is merely me being polite enuf to answer everyone who has offered a reply to me... there is one of me and lots of you. i am getting no friendliness here... the final words are all thngs like "rant" and "dictate"

i don't really expect any of you to "get" this because if you were going to you would have understood what i was doing in the beginning.
Message 20 of 24
latest reply

and finally, one last thing... i feel sorry for you all. i sincerely feel sorry for you. here was an opportunity to have a genial discussion with a new person on your boards and you got so caught up in suspecting that person of Telling You What To Do that you were not able to see that that person was not doing that.

i hope you all can take deep breaths and get centered and realise what you did here to me. . . you don't know who i am and what my life is like. you. have. no. idea.

lucky for me i have a great support group in my life and so the cruelty i experienced in here has just rolled off my back... but i must say, yes, it IS satisfying to spell it out to you !

good luck. you really do need it.
Message 21 of 24
latest reply

I really hope that wasn't directed at me because I did my best to be polite.  

You only stated in your opening paragraph that you washed things multiple times sometimes and then dried in the sun. You said nothing about baking soda and vinegar.  I was only trying to help by telling you what works for me. 

You have to understand that we as sellers have been put through the wringer by ebay and unscrupulous buyers for YEARS.  The reaction you got from some folks, right ot wrong, is the result of that. Ebay now tells us to take returns at all costs and time frames, to offer free shipping and returns,  pretty much everything but hand delivering packages to the buyer........so to be told that we should only use fragrance free detergents - really ignited some folks, and with good reason. 

Frankly - the person who suggested that if your sensitivities are that bad, then perhaps you shouldn't be sourcing your clothing second hand was right.  Your sensitivities are not our problem. 

There. That's my not-so-polite answer.  Geezus.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Dr. Martin Luther King
Message 22 of 24
latest reply

@petals_and_vines wrote:

I really hope that wasn't directed at me because I did my best to be polite.  

You only stated in your opening paragraph that you washed things multiple times sometimes and then dried in the sun. You said nothing about baking soda and vinegar.  I was only trying to help by telling you what works for me. 

You have to understand that we as sellers have been put through the wringer by ebay and unscrupulous buyers for YEARS.  The reaction you got from some folks, right ot wrong, is the result of that. Ebay now tells us to take returns at all costs and time frames, to offer free shipping and returns,  pretty much everything but hand delivering packages to the buyer........so to be told that we should only use fragrance free detergents - really ignited some folks, and with good reason. 

Frankly - the person who suggested that if your sensitivities are that bad, then perhaps you shouldn't be sourcing your clothing second hand was right.  Your sensitivities are not our problem. 

There. That's my not-so-polite answer.  Geezus.

@petals_and_vines

No, the tirade is directed at me, the big bully.

Didn't you notice the friendly nonbullying way she tagged my posts?grin

Some peeps clearly don't like hearing opinons even after asking for them.

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Cruelty? Seriously? I have absolutely no response to that other than I do still think that you have ranted through this entire thread and the only bullying or rudeness that I have seen is the tagging on River's early response.

We are not a club and do not know one another with occasional exceptions. Many of us donate a ton of time here strictly to try and help other ebayers but when an ebayer posts what seemingly all consider unrealistic expectations, they will be called on it.

May you never experience "bullying or rudeness" to a greater degree than what was posted here. I wish that for all.

Message 24 of 24
latest reply