cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please tell me which decade "suits" this gown. Thank you.

I give up. I have searched and searched online, trying to date this gown and its petticoat.

Any help appreciated greatly. Year? Dress type/style? I believe the dress material is rayon (?).  The petticoat seems quite old, even antique: cotton at the top and then tiers of stiff linen. Are they different eras? The lengths fit very well together.

The dress has a 13" side zipper. The petticoat has side hook and eye closure.

Thank you in advance for any help with this.

P3043852.jpgP3043854.jpgP3043849.jpgP3043859.jpgP3043838.jpg

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Please tell me which decade "suits" this gown. Thank you.

It's really hard to tell from your photographs because the waist isn't in its proper place.  Given that, 1940s I'd think.  The petticoat, which is of inexpensive quality, looks original.   The dress wouldn't have been expensive in its time either.   Here's a period pattern for something similar.

Debora

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I also was guessing 1940's, and it could possibly be a costume. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

It's certainly costume-ish but I don't think a costume.  Think inspired by 1940s Hollywood films set in "exotic" Latin America.

Debora

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for the suggestion. Makes sense and much appreciated. I will look into your idea.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Okay. 1940s, but I still can't find anything like it length-wise or with such a full skirt. Like something from the play "Oklahoma," perhaps?
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thank you. Just having a decade to research helps a lot. And thank you for including the shot of the pattern. I did see it on Etsy during all of my searching for the right era.  Much appreciate your kindness.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply