cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Gucci wood burl veneer clamshell bag- has ANYBODY ever seen this? Can't find a thing.....

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Odd Gucci wood burl veneer clamshell bag- has ANYBODY ever seen this? Can't find a thing.....

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@jsales0 wrote:

The stamp was still used in the 80s But I’d guess the bag could be even older too. I didn’t do stamp comparisons. Hopefully albertabrightalberta or genemaat can comment. 

I have stamp comps but I'll tell you, getting clear, crisp and detailed pictures of that stamp is one TOUGH chore! Between the shininess of the gold and the texture of the leather, I went through about 20 pictures before getting the following (best) comp which is the best I could do. 

I no longer have the bag so I can't try to get more pictures but at the time, I clearly had a hard time getting good shots! 

Perhaps @genemaat will chime in. To my eyes, the stamps look identical.

Great job! And yes, I agree the stamps look identical to me too.

"It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble, it's what you know for sure that just ain't so." —
Message 31 of 45
latest reply

Re: Odd Gucci wood burl veneer clamshell bag- has ANYBODY ever seen this? Can't find a thing.....

Thanks Guys...looks good to me too.

Message 32 of 45
latest reply

UPDATE: Just waiting on authenticate4u to "do their thing". I will keep everybody posted. Max
Message 33 of 45
latest reply

Still waiting for authenticate4u to do their thing- they say they are working on it.

Message 34 of 45
latest reply

@madmax69trojan wrote:

Still waiting for authenticate4u to do their thing- they say they are working on it.

In this case, I'm not surprised that it's taking a while. Look how long the original discussion went on and how many experts and opinions you got. 

Thanks for the update. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 35 of 45
latest reply

Hey everybody, Authenticate4u just authenticated it so I am all set. Will re-list it tonight. Thanks for your suggestions and help everybody, I appreciate the advice and followed it to a TEE.I still wonder... Has anybody had a dispute on an authenticate4u verified item and lost, or has this official authentication been enough?
Message 36 of 45
latest reply

Congrats! I don’t think any authentication protects 100% but the odds are highly against you having any issues with an A4U authentication. 

It’s much more expensive but I know they have a service available in the unlikely event of a claim but realistically, IMO, your bag is such an esoteric oddball that it’s most likely only going to go to a true Gucci collector or archivist who will know exactly what it is and A4U’s email authentication will be enough for them.

i find it highly unlikely that your bag will sell as a “generic” Gucci evening bag to a “doubter”.  I wouldn’t even consider that scenario and should it ever happen, you’ll deal with it and you’ll have A4U there too. 

Hope you do great with it!

Message 37 of 45
latest reply

I am very exited for you. There will be many watchers if you list it for Auction, I wish you all the best.

Message 38 of 45
latest reply

Put "gucci wood burl" into the ebay search, it has an initial bid of $200 already, and it will go for much, much more. The QUEEN HERSELF could carry this Gucci! I am exited too. Thank you everybody for your suggestions and guidance. I will come back and report the final deal. Authenticate4u is a wonderful service. Much appreciation to all you fellow sellers, Max
Message 39 of 45
latest reply

Ebay item # 303228430909 Gucci wood burl purse.
Message 40 of 45
latest reply

@madmax69trojan wrote:
Hey everybody, Authenticate4u just authenticated it so I am all set. Will re-list it tonight. Thanks for your suggestions and help everybody, I appreciate the advice and followed it to a TEE.I still wonder... Has anybody had a dispute on an authenticate4u verified item and lost, or has this official authentication been enough?

So happy for you!!!!

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 41 of 45
latest reply

Well its over and I am sad that there was no bidding war. If the bidder does not pay, you could have another shot at it and may use Best offer. How are you feel about the outcome ?

Message 42 of 45
latest reply

Personally, I don’t really think the outcome was that off although higher would not have surprised me. IMO it’s never about label alone but about label, the specific item, and condition which IMO is an issue on this piece. It’s an evening bag and I know I wouldn’t carry a formal bag that’s in that condition. I would need it to have it refinished which is a very expensive process so IMO that piece would best go to either an archivist or someone pretty young who’s going for “the name” at a price.

Auctions are so about that specific moment in time and not always an indication of actual value. If the buyer doesn’t pay I’d suggest resisting it as a BIN with Best Offer so that there’s no possibility of disappointment and the seller controls the price IF an offer is accepted. JMO

Message 43 of 45
latest reply

I feel the same way, while I love the bag, I wouldnt be comfortable carrying a wood burl evening bag, I didnt think it would go for much more than the opening bid...a specialized piece indeed.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 44 of 45
latest reply

I was watching this auction and hoping that it would do spectacularly well.  Someone certainly got a great buy.

One thing - just an afterthought.  Personally, I would have bid on this handbag for myself, it's just quirky enough to suit my taste,  but not this late in the month.  It the listing had been set to end on the 1st, or whatever is the first weekday of the month - I would have bid for sure, but with unexpected wallet-emptying expenses, I just couldn't manage it.  Have to wait for fresh cash.

When I'm selling, sometimes I notice that there's a slight uptick in sales mid-month and on the last day/first days of the month.  Has anyone else found this to be true too?

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 45 of 45
latest reply