cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with a vintage jacket I've had forever and it won't sell

Some years ago (abt 3) I went to an estate sale and bought the attached jacket by Jutta Covian.  I never heard of her so I went to Youtube and watched her fashion show.  The jacket is mixed media, silk, nylon, snakeskin and very colorful.  But the style is hard to describe.  Is it vanguard?  Ultra-futuristic?  Anyway I have tried selling this everywhere online and it won't sell.  So,

a) I want your honest opinion about this jacket.

b)  How would you describe the jacket?  Vanguard?  (Vintage - yes!) Ultra futuristic?

c)  I'm thinking about taking it to alterations and have them redesign the jacket, streamline it to make it more modern; thoughts?

I paid less than $10 for the jacket.  I thought about keeping it, but it's not for me.  Thanks all.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Actually, I don't think the jacket is too bad. I do not care for the sleeve style and never did.

The sleeve style really dates the jacket.

To me, the mixed media adds interest but I am sure it can't be thown in the washing machine.

Only have the jacket altered if you want to keep it. Alterations are expensive. You have had no luck in selling it so I don't see how you could recoup your money after an alteration.

You don't have much money into it so it so I would just donate.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

people that do estate sales usually have a pretty good idea what things are worth...

if you paid less than $10 for it, it's probably worth less than $10 and those looking at a listing for it either know that or don't like it... altering it to make it more salable sounds like throwing good money after bad...

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I agree with other posters

Jacket not bad but personally  not my cup of tea 

very dated and not in a good way

not machine washable that may be one of the issues

How much were you asking for it?

Just curious

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Don't want to sound mean, but I'd say donate it🙈

I think M C Hammer is looking for his jacket.

Grandma 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

OH NOOOOO.....Now I can't get M C Hammer's, Can't Touch This out of my head...NOOOOO.

My granddaughters think I've finally succumbed to crazy!!!!

😉

Maybe a good Halloween Costume!!!!

Grandma

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

How would you guys "give this jacket away" on Ebay to a designer or fashionista who would repurpose it?  Should I list it for auctin starting at 99c?

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I'm not seeing any pictures but my suggestion would be to list it as an auction with the lowest starting price you're willing to receive (as you suggested, 99 cents) and see what happens. It might end up selling for just the starting price but you can take the loss on your taxes if necessary. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I did just what you suggested.  $1.99 starting.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Looks like a woman's jacket to me, and it kinda looks of the Disco era, like in, just a steel town girl on a Saturday night looking for a fight, she's a maniac, or something like that; I guess that kinda fits with the hammer, lol lol, maybe a little before the hammer. Anyway, what I'd do, is pack it away for a while, them try selling it at a later date, because stylish behavior forever changes. 

Good luck

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

First thing I thought was those are "Dolman sleeves" 

So I went to look at your listing and this is just a suggestion. You need better pictures, the first photo is kind of blurry and you really can't see what it is supposed to be. Need pictures of the care and fabric content labels.

This is Vintage (I don't like that word in a title)  1980s Avante Garde Applique Dolman Sleeve Women's Jacket Jutta Covian 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

That's a classic batwing jacket and those are popular again.  I've just sold several.  It's pretty cool.  I would not start your description by apologising for it, though - no need. Boost its merits as you did later on!

ETA: Stuff that doesn't sell here sells other places - two of the sites  I use have a generally younger demographic and that's where those jackets went.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 12
latest reply