cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake Counterfit Bugatchi shirts

I’ve been a collector of Bugatchi shirts for many years. During the pandemic I discovered that sellers were offering preowned shirts ranging from $10-40.  After buying 14-15 of them, I noticed something suspicious in the fit. I compared them to the other 25 Bugatchis and realized that half of the ones I bought where fakes made in China.  I called the manufacturer to confirm that they were not genuine.  Here’s a picture of a fake Bugatchi, followed by a list of what to look for and avoid before you buy on EBay:

researchfellow_0-1623190209483.png

1. The Bugatchi tag:  a real Bugatchi  NEVER has one that says “Bugatchi Oumo” nor will it have a size tag attached. It will only say "Bugatchi." They also have two tiny clear plastic strips attached to the bottom of the inside collar with size and location made.
  2. If a real Bugatchi has an inside fabric hook on the collar, it will say “classic Fit” or “Shaped Fit, not a red blank hook.
  3. Most Bugatchis have a different color strip around the lower inner edge of the collar. This one is too wide and made of a very soft fabric.
  4. Buttons are always side by side, but they always have a stitched button-like hole between them. 
  5. researchfellow_1-1623190209540.png

researchfellow_2-1623190209545.png

Bugatchi doesn’t put a colored band on the inside top of the sleeve.
  6. Cuff buttons are always side by side (many fakes have only one button), and they always have a stitched button-like hole between them. The fake, above, doesn’t have that.
  7. Bugatchi doesn’t put a colored band on the inside top of the sleeve.
  8. Inside the bottom of shirt, sown onto the seam, is a tag describing how to launder. All Bugatchis have a second tag that has a serial number on it to identify the style. Extra buttons are NEVER sown onto the shirt or tag; they come in the small black envelope cardboard tag found on new shirts.
  9. researchfellow_3-1623190209558.png

researchfellow_4-1623190209563.png

The collar is never “classic” long wingtips (needed for using a tie) as shown in the drawing below. Bugatchi always uses a distinctive “spread” collar that does not button down.
  10. Sleeve length: for size Large they are always 26-27”, the fakes that I bought are shorter, often 25”.
  11. researchfellow_5-1623190209571.png

Bugatchi rarely has a pocket. Many fakes have most of the above mistakes.
  12. When there’s a sown insignia, it’s never at an angle as seen in the picture below.
  13. If it has a tag on the inside collar saying “Made in China” and is missing the other key elements, it is a fake.
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Fake Counterfit Bugatchi shirts

Thank you for sharing this. I've noticed a lot of these fakes in places like the TJX stores and even Nordstrom Rack. This is a great guide. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I bought one several years ago at a Rack. Mine doesn't have a tag, but has Bugatchi Uomo embroidered in where the tag should be but it's not crooked and looks fine.  Above it is a white tag that says "shaped fit"

My shirt has a pocket.

Everything else checks out...

Should I be worried?

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

It sounds genuine to me. The company did make a few styles  with pockets. If it have those clear tiny plastic tabs I fixed inside the collar it’s s a certain sign that it is real and there should also be a model number attached to the label that gives  washing instructions

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@hpenryessentials wrote:

Thank you for sharing this. I've noticed a lot of these fakes in places like the TJX stores and even Nordstrom Rack. This is a great guide. 

@hpenryessentials wrote:

TJX stores (Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Winners (in Canada), TK Maxx (in UK) and NR stores don't sell fakes. They get their inventory from legitimate sources. 

While there have been isolated cases in which a dishonest did switcheroos by buying an authentic item and returning a fake, to imply that "lots of items" at those company stores are fake is wrong! 

I don't know Bugatchi so I'm not commenting on the accuracy of the "guide" posted by the OP, but just want to correct possible misinformation posted by others.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I agree with AbA..

We can't start rumors that certain store are frequently selling fakes..

It has happened but I'm fairly sure it was without their knowledge via return swaps or lazy buyers for their inventory, I'm looking at you Overstock..  Counterfeiters be sneaky we know.. 

I believe it's common for outlet store & discount stores like that to receive "seconds" or lessor quality items that are made specifically for those retailers.. This could explain some of the anomalies and differences in attributes normally used for authentication. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

OK, but did you not open item not as described cases on the fakes? 

You have 30 days after the delivery date to do that with Paypal.

At those prices, I believe I'd be spending my time opening cases and save the instructions for later.  

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Hi there and thank you for posting. Just when I thought I was getting a good deal…

Just to confirm - NO Bugatchi shirts are made outside of Italy? I only have to ask as I’ve read many houses have moved factories outside of Italy and France. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

This thread is from a long time ago....Hoping someone can talk about authentic Bugatchi Uomo men's button down long sleeve shirts that have the embroidered brand name. Not the fabric tag.  

Would there be a size tag attached? Would there be a "made in" tag?

Looking at Ebay, based solely on this thread so many listings are for fake shirts. There are listings with fabric labels that say Bugatchi Uomo. Some have sizes attached to that brand tag. Many say Made in China.  And all of these from seasoned sellers (who I assume just don't know).

This brand is new to me so I always do as much research as I can the be sure what I list is 100% authentic. I have an email in to the Bugatchi company to get more info. If anyone here knows the answers to the above questions, or any additional info, I'd appreciate knowing. Thank you!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply