cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY SALES IN THE TANK???? WHATS GOING ON??

HI ALL ANYBODY HAVE A CLUE WHATS GOING ON WITH EBAY?? NO SALES NO BIDS IN OVER A WEEK?? I HAVE NEVER SEEN IT SO BAD!! ANY IDEAS AS TO WHAT THE PROBLEM IS??

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: EBAY SALES IN THE TANK???? WHATS GOING ON??

In my opinion the market is just so oversaturated with things to sell these days. All over eBay there are sellers from China that are selling products at prices we just can't compete with. Somehow they also seem to be able to ship their stuff for free! It takes weeks to get to the buyer but I don't think that matters when they're getting stuff so cheap. They have websites all over the internet selling this stuff. When you are looking for an item if you don't click US sellers only then you just go through hundreds of posts of the same item from these chinese seller pages.

Message 16 of 52
latest reply

I'm another one that has never seen it this bad!!  I've been selling since around 2001, have changed merchandise a few times and now with the economy so bad for many people I'm concentrating on pre-owned items, including household.  You'd think that people would still need these things at reduced prices, but it's been awful..... 2 sales last weekend.  Nothing all week.... and now going into Sunday with no sales.  First time it's been this bad for me.  Yes, I feel the marketplace is oversaturated, also preference to the really big sellers with search placement, etc. and the middle class just not having the cash to buy all input what's going on.....  not good at all. 

photo nyrose.gif
Message 17 of 52
latest reply

I guess ebay will only have Chinese and big box retailers.

Thanks for all of your comments.

Message 18 of 52
latest reply

Rixstuff:  Not so sure about that.  Mom jumped over to a "vintage and handcraft" site a couple of years back and makes some great bank - she just paid off her car 2 years early from selling old widgets over there.  She left here in a snit after over a decade of selling because she kept getting restrictions and defects that limited her selling but she had over 3000 feedback and 100% feedback when she got limited to 5 items a month....

So she's not doing good on the "vintage and handcraft" website? 

"She left here . . . " means she's not sellling here on ebay.  That's what "here" means to me . . . .  or the other website?

Message 19 of 52
latest reply

@princessfashionstudio wrote:

Rixstuff:  Not so sure about that.  Mom jumped over to a "vintage and handcraft" site a couple of years back and makes some great bank - she just paid off her car 2 years early from selling old widgets over there.  She left here in a snit after over a decade of selling because she kept getting restrictions and defects that limited her selling but she had over 3000 feedback and 100% feedback when she got limited to 5 items a month....

So she's not doing good on the "vintage and handcraft" website? 

"She left here . . . " means she's not sellling here on ebay.  That's what "here" means to me . . . .  or the other website?

These days she is doing better over there than here but it is mostly because she can list hundreds of items over there for 4 months for only 20 cents but was restricted to 10 items or $120 a month here.  Thats just not enough listing to make enough money.

Message 20 of 52
latest reply

Don't lose heart.  People are still looking!  And that's a good sign. Just looking for the right deal. I've watched my listings gather watchers and as the number increases I revised the listing by lowering the price by one or even two dollars.  Not a signifigant amount but enough to motivate for a better deal.  So far, it worked with one item.  I have a bidder and let's hope they keep jumping on board.  It's only been a few hours since I revised, but was pleasantly surprised when I did get one after the revision.  Because the economy is definately different than it was, I think ocassional sellers and full time sellers need to adapt and adjust to keep the doors open.  It will get better in time!  Creative thinking/writing and Deal Makers are  key right now in hard times.  However, I woulnd't be on this board if I didn't think it was tougher now than it was a few years back.  That's all true.  I'm still trying though to come up with creative listings that appeal and make even watchers buy.

I'll re-post if I come up with new solutions.

Message 21 of 52
latest reply

Good Evening Folks I have called ebay three times in last 3 weeks just get runaround answers as you can see I sale automotive parts I have never 

had a recession  or depression  economy with this company that my wife and I created 44 years ago as lon as folks are wrecking their cars I have opportunity 

to sale the parts for repair have been on ebay since 1996 quit them with the changes they made in 99 came back couple years later, quit them again in 2007

came back two years ago now have more than 3000 feedbacks have sold almost 10,000  sales this time. Today my sales have droped from a smooth 15 a day

average to 4 or 5 a day not paying for the relist fees after I list my 500 free each month..This corporation has so much money they do not care about us 

small business only way is hit them in pocket book they understand ..I will go this month and probably let everthing park in unsold and not relist see if they

get the message..

Message 22 of 52
latest reply

what other venues?

Message 23 of 52
latest reply

We arent allowed to mention them on Ebay but it doesnt really matter.  They dont have any buyers because the buyers have never heard of them.

Message 24 of 52
latest reply

It's true that retail sales have been abysmal (except for Amazon's). The "Consumer Discretionary" sector in the stock market shows this, as have the quarterly reports from normally dependable stocks like Macy's.

But I suggest that a large part of the problem on Ebay is the Ebay app, at least on Android. The post-PayPal version is a hodge-podge of non-standard navigation, confusing labels, and bugs that have persisted for years.

In response to a snarky tweet, I was asked to send in my "problem." I sent in a detailed list of many modification suggestions; it was half of my whole list but I couldn't spend more time on it. Very quickly, I received a note of genuine surprise and gratitude, with a promise that it would be given to the developers. Remarkably, I've already noticed at least two items were fixed. It seems painfully slow, but maybe they'll be able to make Ebay useful again before we all leave it for dead.
Message 25 of 52
latest reply

I have seen a decrease as well. I am giving away some items and still no one buys. Another problem is all these Garage sale style apps that have popped up this past year. Some have run commercials on major networks.  They are entirely free to post up and sell your items.  I have used them but noticed folks are very cheap and want garage sale type prices.  So instead of using eBay, folks are using these other venues first to look for what they want. 

Message 26 of 52
latest reply

April 15th!  It'll all even out. ..

Message 27 of 52
latest reply

Message 28 of 52
latest reply

My sales started to decline in the year of 2012, Every year since like CLOCKWORK,  sales have been dropping. It just gets WORSE AND WORSE overtime.  

Message 29 of 52
latest reply

guess its not just me....i get lots of watches on some items. i think Im gonna make a good sale. Then I get one bid.. about a garage sale amount

If i list higher. no interest.

list cheap I get watches and it sells CHEAP

Whats the answer  ?

my friend sells jewelry and makes alot. I sell clothes and never break even.

ive tried jewelry that doesnt sell either for me broken_heart

Message 30 of 52
latest reply