cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confirm This Gucci Beaded Evening Bag is NOT Real?

Hi all. I fell down a bunch of internet rabbit holes trying to figure out if this is authentic. I was only 75% sure that is a fake until I finally looked at the stitching on the back of the label. Now I'm up to 99% sure... but would appreciate a second opinion. I found this among my mom's things, so it's hard for me to be objective. Plus, I know nothing about fashion, purses, stitching, labels, fabric... (list goes on).

From what I can gather, the size of the beads, asymmetry of some shapes, loose stitching (especially the loose/sloppy stitches holding on the label) make me think this is a fake.  It "feels" heavy/sturdy, though. I'm not sure about the label itself.  It says "Firenze" instead of "Florence". Unsure if using the Italian name is a "tell" or not.

Thank you to all that are willing to look.

IMG_5731.jpg

IMG_5733.jpgIMG_5734.jpgStitching on back of labelStitching on back of label

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Confirm This Gucci Beaded Evening Bag is NOT Real?

I’m still looking and I think it’s much earlier than I thought. Definitely get it check out. All you can lose is $7.50 I think that label is maybe 40s?

Did your mother buy vintage designer items? If genuine that bag was a fortune in it’s day and it’s old. I think significantly older than I thought when I looked on a phone. 

Are there any stamps on the inside on the frame? Take a good look with good light.

Anyway authenticate4u will be able to tell you what you’ve got. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

You need to spend a big ole $7.50 for a professional authentication but IMO you have a vintage 60s Gucci evening bag that could be made pristine with a few added beads. Once you have a professional authentication you may want to go to Gucci and ask their advice about restoration.

Assuming it’s genuine hardly surprising that you have a few loose stitches after 60ish years.

I think it’s a beauty.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

nm

"On the Internet, no one knows if youre a dog.
EVERYONE knows if youre an idiot."
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

And thats why I stick with Coach. 🤐

"On the Internet, no one knows if youre a dog.
EVERYONE knows if youre an idiot."
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Wow, really?  Is it appropriate for me to ask for a recommendation to an authentication service here?  I have seen a few online. It would be great to find one with a good reputation.

If it really is legit, I would like to know more about it.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Sure-it’s fine to ask. Use authenticate4u. Contact them through their Facebook page and pay through PayPal.

Its worth $7.50 to find out. It looks like an old frame and a satin lining. Someone could have just sewn a Gucci label in it. All Gucci in my experience has Gucci hardware or something but I really don’t know a thing about mid century Gucci evening bags. Let us know and hope it is a legit Gucci bag, if it isn’t you can just have the label removed if nothing else is marked.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I’m still looking and I think it’s much earlier than I thought. Definitely get it check out. All you can lose is $7.50 I think that label is maybe 40s?

Did your mother buy vintage designer items? If genuine that bag was a fortune in it’s day and it’s old. I think significantly older than I thought when I looked on a phone. 

Are there any stamps on the inside on the frame? Take a good look with good light.

Anyway authenticate4u will be able to tell you what you’ve got. 

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Thank you for the referral and for having another look.

My mom was not into designer items, but could have inherited it from a relative from Europe.  It makes me wonder if perhaps the "Firenze" label was for the European market, where "Florence" was for the US?

I examined the frame with a loupe and did not see any stamps or maker marks.

I will check out authenticate4u and post back with whatever I find out.

Thank you so much!

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I’m really curious too. It’s hard to tell from pictures and I don’t collect bags of that age but if it’s really from the period it appears to be it looks legit to me. 

The “Firenze” doesn’t bother me at all if it’s that old and from Europe. Gucci didn’t export until into the 60s. My mother didn’t buy Gucci until the late 60s/early 70s and she brought them back from Italy. Your bag if genuine is way earlier than that but to the best of my knowledge Gucci did put his name on everything so that part is odd to me.

Looking forward to hearing back!

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

I'm going to tag @ postingid2017  as she's a vintage Gucci expert. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

I’ve seen similar bags before, this is in my opinion authentic and dates back to the 1960’s. 

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

The Rome branch opened in 1938.   Branches in New York and Milan opened in 1952 and 1953 respectively and were incorporated into GUCCI labels.  Therefore, I would think your handbag dates to sometime between 1938 and 1950ish. 

Debora

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

That pretty much coincides with my revisal that the label and bag looked 40s and the OP did think that it was brought back from Europe which would make sense with the Firenze label. Their labels vary wildly. 

Interesting to know that NY boutiques existed in the 50s. I thought they came later. I worked right by the 54th St. store. 

I’d love to hear from @postingid2017 also but I believe this bag is way before her Gucci expertise and there’s nothing stamped.

I truly believe that authenticate4u will call it genuine. 

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

BTW OP after you get your authentication (crossing fingers) you may want to contact Gucci and send them pictures. I know nothing about their vintage acquisitions but that’s a rare bag in seemingly great shape and they could possibly be interested in it for their own archives. 

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

The handbag looks to be from the 60s and the label looks good.  I think I skimmed through this post with the mention of 40s and 40's bags depending the year were released were either smaller or larger before and after WW2. 

The OP's bag is beautiful and looks to be in excellent shape - some (including my mother/grandmother's) did not hold up well.  The beading on either came loose.  However, if it were me I would have it authenticated prior to listing here - I'm good on Vintage Gucci's, but I would still get the item authenticated for protection, just in case.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply