cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentic vintage Burberry scarves and do copies of them exist?

Hi! 

I am checking out some auctions for the abovementioned, and I came across this, for example: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Burberry-Cashmere-Scarf-Women-s-Pink-One-Size/303104493770?_trkparms=aid%3D...

How to confirm its authenticity, and how to tell real old labels from fakes, if they exist? 

Thanks in advance,

Vesna

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Authentic vintage Burberry scarves and do copies of them exist?

That scarf is fake and in answer to your question, Burb scarves are faked. And there are lots of them!
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

What did you base the statement on, please?

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Nova check pattern is wrong, fringe is incorrect and label is fake.
albertabrightalberta

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I do know that they are among the most faked items, and I can tell difference with new scarves and fakes... But not for the ones made before 1999. That is why I am asking what should a genuine vintage scarf have, label-wise and the rest. 

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I'm not sure anyone is going to be too specific because some details can help the counterfeiters make better fakes.
albertabrightalberta

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

That label is sewn on crooked. The pink check print, called candy check, would have had tan plaid with a light blue line. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Ok, thank you both. How about this one? Is there any group or something I can post the future links to, for checking? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BURBERRY-CASHMERE-100-RAINBOW-SCARF-168CM-x-30CM-RUNWAY-DESIGNER-FASHION/18...

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Wait for @mupcycledcouture's opinion on this one but I have a comment.

IMO, you shouldn't buy such a highly faked item from a brand new user without any history and someone who has already sold 6 of the same item for way less than retail.

I see huge red flags.
albertabrightalberta

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Another comment.

CHeck out the completed listings and look through them. There are several other sellers with identical pictures.

If you look at the listings, all the sellers claim to be in Canada but item locations are Hong Kong.

I'm 99.9% sure they're scams.
albertabrightalberta

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I can not say if the rainbow one is authentic. I also cant say it is a fake. I have never seen a scarf with that type of label, but that does not mean anything. Companies change labels all the time. Looks like they added the rainbow check print in spring of 2018, so they may very well have used a different label recently. 

I expect for a 100% cashmere scarf to have a bit more loft than what I am seeing in this photo. But again, it could be the quality of the photos or the seller did some pilling removal which altered the way the fabric appeared. 

Edit to add: I saw another scarf on fashionphile using that same tag. So Burberry is likely using them on scarves, which kind of stinks because they are easily removed so the resale of Burberry scarves will suffer. But I  am sure that is what Burberry wants. 

That being said, if alberta is saying that the seller is selling multiples of an item and is using duplicated photos, it isnt good. I would steer clear. 

If you really want this scarf, I suggest having it professionally authenticated. Not sure f a4u does Burberry scarves or not. 

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Yeah, I believe you are right. I usually do not, but this one seemed like a genuine piece not sure about the box, though - box that I know for sure is original has an equestrian knight on it 😕 

However, neither seller's experience can guarantee item's authenticity, sometimes. Even though I think that branded items are not as worth as they cost (most of the money goes to celebs for advertising 😑), it seems that I will have to splurge and go to Burberry shop, after all 😑 Unless any of you know of a trusted seller or website that sells them second-hand? 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Yeah, the rainbow collection was made in support of LGBT community. Label was confusing for me, too. 

As for the items coming from HK (I think it's the same seller), there's a lot of rich Asians here and many of them come from HK, Singapore or Taiwan, so it wasn't an alarm at the time. 

I am also reluctant to order and then pay for authentication, because if it turns out to be fake, I will be at a loss for at least the authentication price 😑

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I am less worried about items from Hong Kong then I was 10 years ago. Lots of people are building wealth in China and from my experience, they love designer goods. 

Even if I thought this was authentic, I would hesitate just because this seller is showing multiples of the same item using the same photo to sell said item. That is just a red flag. 

Keep looking. You will find what you are looking for.  

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

JUST FYI....

For those that are new, you can bank 100% on authenticity given from Alberta, Fashionclubgirl and Jsales. there are some more knowledgeable folks on here also, but those 3 especially are top notch folks who know labels and product well. if they say its good  ITS GOOD.   they have been around for many years.  also keep researching items yourself as well go to the retail stores look and feel and google things look at completed listings.  see what they type as far as description or details of the item and look at the photos are they clear can you see the details, stitching, fonts etc. I was told once a long time ago that you must have a basic knowledge of the labels you are listing for sale, if not it is always going to be a shot in the dark and those always misses their mark.  ebay will not put up with listing fakes or not knowing about your item your are selling,  you can't post and say i do not know if it is real or not. you must know. its alot of work but you can do it.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply