cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will ebay act to stop listings of fake SSDs?

Recently, I've reported to ebay several listings of what are clearly fake SSDs. Typically, these are for 1TB or 2TB drives and include doctored but clearly identifiable images of products from major manufacturers such as Samsung and Western Digital. As others have noted before, multiple "sellers" carry the same selection of listings. Since reporting such items I've seen the number of sales of them climb as the listings remain in place. Why is ebay not shutting down these scammers?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Ebay typically doesnt remove items with one report..it would take several snad complaints to do that.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Because you could easily be a competitor. So, your report is ignored. 

Reports are more for clear violations; not opinions. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@ffrogman wrote:

Recently, I've reported to ebay several listings of what are clearly fake SSDs. Typically, these are for 1TB or 2TB drives and include doctored but clearly identifiable images of products from major manufacturers such as Samsung and Western Digital. As others have noted before, multiple "sellers" carry the same selection of listings. Since reporting such items I've seen the number of sales of them climb as the listings remain in place. Why is ebay not shutting down these scammers?

Because the company you mentioned are not a part of the VERO system, so you saying its fake will get nothing done.

You like me are just a user name: and eBay has no idea of what my knowledge or education is: or if I am telling em the truth etc.....

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

"Reports are more for clear violations; not opinions. "

One of the categories in the invitation to report an item is . . .

You suspect that a listing is fraudulent

Perhaps reports in that category are summarily dismissed, as you suggest. I wouldn't expect an item to be withdrawn or a seller barred simply on the basis of someone's suspicion, but wouldn't it be prudent of ebay to investigate such reports and, where they find fraud, protect buyers from being conned?

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Unfortunately, I think many of the people who have fell for the ruse did not find out [or have yet to find out] until long after any compliant could be filed - when I buy any SSD or micro/usb memory I immediately test it with a program, then MBG asap, I do the same with lithium batteries.

This problem is not eBay specific as amazon is having it happen to them too - they just seem to react a bit faster, probably because of their infrastructure.

I no longer buy these so called 'good deals' on electronics and just buy from the industry leader - if it is cheap, it is probably because some dumpster diver in China pulled out a load of defective product and are now reselling as labeled - and/or in many cases just rewriting the master boot record.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply