cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential bidder asking for IMEI number?

A potential bidder has just emailed me asking for the IMEI number of the phone I have up for auction. Isn't that the number used to unlock it? Are they checking to see if it's stolen? That's just info you don't need unless you win the auction - which of course they'll find out when they get it anyway.

So why would they want it? Any ideas?

Message 1 of 185
latest reply
184 REPLIES 184

I just looked at my email and I have someone asking for my imei so he can verify. I don't know if I should give it to him
Message 46 of 185
latest reply

@nerdslogic wrote:

Personally I wouldn't provide IMEI or MEID until phone was sold. That is me though....once sold I would provide it (they are going to get the phone and see it anyway) so they could "ease" their concerns.

Why would you deny that if someone asked?

Message 47 of 185
latest reply

I would provide the number.  Doesn't change anything, and it eases the buyer's concerns.  Maybe you could sell it even at a higher price if the buyer know the ESN is clean.

Message 48 of 185
latest reply

Wow.  I guess that's why all the ads do not provide the IMEI numbers.

Message 49 of 185
latest reply

I agree here.  If you can't come to terms and understand what your buying first, just like sellers want, then move onto another seller.

Message 50 of 185
latest reply

Is there an article or info, legit info, that has examples of this scam?

Message 51 of 185
latest reply

I've heard two examples of fraud but many examples of buyers needing the number to make sure.  Maybe some paranoia here?  Sounds few and far between so far but maybe more would chime in.

Message 53 of 185
latest reply

why is it "stupid" that the seller would be wary of you potentially cloning the phone with the clean IMEI? the internet is full of scammers, just like there are scammers who sell phones with locked IMEIs. 

sounds like the best way is to buy the phone and ask for the IMEI before they ship it. then, if the IMEI is locked, you can file a claim and won't have to pay for the return shipping. 

either way, it's not "stupid" that the seller would be wary about giving it out, just like it's not stupid for you to be concerned about it.

@mindyzoey wrote:

So it sounds to me like this is a no win situation. 

In the past month I have purchased 2 phones on ebay. Both sellers stated clean esn/verizon phones.

It wasn't until I paid, waited for shipping, received the phone and tried to activate it, that I found out the IMEI was invalid. 

Then I had to ask for a refund and pay $20-30 for return shipping. This happend TWICE. I still havent received either of my refunds, i'm out almost $60 for return shipping, and on top of it all I still dont have a phone.

So i asked Verizon how to prevent this again...they said "ask for the IMEI and verify it before purchase" 

Problem is nobody will give me the IMEI (because they think I'm gonna clone the phone or something stupid like that) unless i pay first which defeats the purpose of asking for the number in the first place.

So now i'll never buy another phone on ebay unless the seller is willing to fork over the IMEI. Ive decided to try Swappa.com instead. The staff verifies all phone IMEIs there and some of the sellers there will even post the IMEI for anyone to verify

Message 54 of 185
latest reply

yes, the buyers can file a claim within 45 days if the phone is not what it's supposed to be.

what can the seller do?

i think the best way is for the buyer to pay, and then the seller can send the IMEI before they ship. thus, if it's fraudulent, the buyer can file a claim without having to pay return shipping, etc.
Message 55 of 185
latest reply

And how does the seller know that you don't know how to clone an IMEI, that you just want to protect yourself?

The buyer has protection if the item isn't what it's described to be. But the seller has none if you are a scammer.
Message 56 of 185
latest reply

My wife gets them.
Message 57 of 185
latest reply

It may be rare but I'm not willing to risk a couple hundred bucks on a chance.
Message 58 of 185
latest reply

The safest option is to never give out the number electronically, period.  If a buyer is scared, then they shouldn't be buying a cell phone on Ebay.  It's really that simple.  I offered to call the persons cell phone provider as a middle man in the transaction.    It's the best any seller/buyer can do to assure protection against fraud.  It's careless of a seller to give out the number, and any buyer purchasing a phone from a seller willing to give out the number is an idiot honestly.  Who's to say he/she didn't give the number out to cell phone hacker, and that hacker scams you, the owner, 6 months down the road well after the transaction was completed,  It could even be in another country.  Who knows?  That number is unique to that phone, and it needs to remain that way.  Never give out the number,  It is for everyones protection.  Just imaginre, on day 1 of a 7 day auction, you give out the number to hacker.  By day 7, your number could have been activated rendering your phone as the stolen phone.  Don't give it out.  It's not worth it.  The buyer at least has some proctection through eBay and paypal, and possibly has some protection on his/her credit card.  The seller is completely hosed at that point.  I wouldn't even give it out after the sale.  They'll get the phone soon enough.  

Message 59 of 185
latest reply

Interestingly enough, after I offered to call their cell phone provider to verify the phone, I never heard back. 

If they were serious about the question and really wanted my phone that I was selling, they would have at least replied.

Don't do it. Don't even think about doing it.   This is for buyer and seller protection.  Would you really want to buy a cell phone from some guy who's been handing out your phones serial numbers to any Tom, Dick, or Harry on the internet?  I wouldn't. 

Message 60 of 185
latest reply