cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does a buyer have to open a case and request a refund, lost items?

I have been selling phones through craigslist for a few years and decided to become more active on Ebay. I am beginning to think I should end selling on ebay because the seller protection sucks against lying buyers.

How long does a buyer have to file a dispute for a phone after receiving it? Is it really 45 days from what i have been reading???!!!!! Anything could go wrong with technology after a few days of being purchased. "knock on wood" Now I am scared to list anything here again. Ebay has been making $800 a month in fees from me, it might not seem much to some but I have had returns that absolutely had no issues and buyers just wanted a refund.

Please tell me 45 days is wrong. More like 7 days to file a claim would be perfect this is ridiculous.

Another question that I have is, How can you file a claim for a phone that goes missing from the postal office. I always ship everything with insurance and signature confirmation but what do they require the seller to confirm the price of the phone? Everything that I buy is straight off good ol craigslist and i do not get any receipts for anything obviously.

Message 1 of 205
latest reply
204 REPLIES 204

Re: How long does a buyer have to open a case and request a refund, lost items?

Anyone?

Message 2 of 205
latest reply

I'm having similar problems as well . I just sold a phone that was described as a "bad imei" phone and clearly mentioned that it wouldn't work with t-mobile. Now buyer is asking for a refund because he was told that it wouldn't connect.
I sent you a pm so we could discuss these issues more
Message 3 of 205
latest reply

Buyers have 45 days to open an Item Not As Described or an Item Not Received case with PayPal.

Shipping with Signature Confirmation will protect you in an Item Not Received case, provided you ship to the address on the PayPal transaction details page and the tracking shows as delivered or a signature is captured.

If you use USPS insurance and you need to file an insurance claim, they will usually accept a printout of the PayPal transaction details page as proof of the phone's value.

Message 4 of 205
latest reply

I think I am out from selling on Ebay. I dont know if its just that i have had bad luck lately but i have had to refund 4 buyers. Now today I received a message from a seller that purchased a phone 2 weeks ago saying that the phone is bad imei. He said that he contacted Verizon and they told him that the phone is pending activation. Does this make sense? I checked online at checkesnfree and it clearly shows that the esn is clear. Im going nuts with this. And 45 days is way too long for anyone to file a claim item not as described thats a whole lot of Bull on ebays part. I think 2 weeks should be tops for brand new items and at least 30 days for used no more simple as that. Im not liking you ebay do you hear me!!!!

Message 5 of 205
latest reply

I think ebay should change its policy to 20 days max for a buyer to open an item not as described case. This is more than enough time imho

Message 6 of 205
latest reply

I recently sold a phone as broken,spares or repairs but now the buyer is saying that the phone is barred/blocked and he spent money trying to get it fixed for nothing. He was rude,told me to reply ASAP 3 times today,said he wanted a refund and I'm a fraud And he'll be reporting me to whoever!As you can imagine I was not too impressed to say the least. I have contacted the seller telling him the phone couldn't have been blocked as I bought it from eBay and it worked fine with my sons contract sim until my son dropped it,I then put it on eBay so there's no way it's blocked. I have also checked the IMEI number online and it states what I already know,the phone is unlocked so I haven't a clue what the buyer is on about. Sounds to me he just changed his mind.can i present the evidence i found online of it being unlocked to eBay? Sellers rights are terrible on eBay,why should I reimburse a liar. Also the buyer has had the phone for over 3 weeks now and said he tried to get it fixed so god knows what he's done to it. Please advise what I can do as this is not right

Message 7 of 205
latest reply

savetoday234
Enthusiast

I would state from now on, in your postings in bold that the phone is in working condition and that if it does not work after a week that you will no longer give refunds for any reason due to the fact that anything can go wrong or they could possibly break the phone in that amount of time!

Message 8 of 205
latest reply

bobgeneric
Enthusiast

45 days to open case.

20 days for opened cases. After this, the case will close automatically.

What to do if you don't receive an item or it doesn't match the seller's description

Message 9 of 205
latest reply

jdhndwh
Enthusiast

Well Ebay is not allowing buyers to call in and get a longer time to open a case and request a refund.   I just have a case opened against me from almost 90 days ago!  I called Ebay and they said people can call them and request to open a case against you even if it is AFTER the 45 days.  How fair is that?

Message 10 of 205
latest reply

jdhndwh
Enthusiast

OOPS I  meant to say is NOW allowing them to open a case past the 45 days

Message 11 of 205
latest reply

That is ridiculous.

Message 12 of 205
latest reply

Allowing someone to buy, receive, and then use the item you sold them for 90 days followed by possible abuse, damage, loss of parts, etc and then expect you to refund the buyer is ludicrous!
Do they think all of us sellers are Costco or what!?
It really shows one the direction that ebay has taken here...it is all greed.
Sellers make them their money but they treat us like used car salesmen!

If an items arrives you should have 4 days to open a dispute as really if you cannot notice that your item is not as described, missing parts, or damaged in 4 days then you have serious problems and probably should not be buying off ebay.
Message 13 of 205
latest reply

U are so right. I just had a claim against me on the 45th day like who waits 45 days to use an item and then complain what a joke of a seller protection
Message 14 of 205
latest reply

I have lost hundreds of dollars due to Egays policies....Hello swappa....Check it out,flat $10 to sell on Swappa.com!!!

Message 15 of 205
latest reply