cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does a buyer have to open a case and request a refund, lost items?

I have been selling phones through craigslist for a few years and decided to become more active on Ebay. I am beginning to think I should end selling on ebay because the seller protection sucks against lying buyers.

How long does a buyer have to file a dispute for a phone after receiving it? Is it really 45 days from what i have been reading???!!!!! Anything could go wrong with technology after a few days of being purchased. "knock on wood" Now I am scared to list anything here again. Ebay has been making $800 a month in fees from me, it might not seem much to some but I have had returns that absolutely had no issues and buyers just wanted a refund.

Please tell me 45 days is wrong. More like 7 days to file a claim would be perfect this is ridiculous.

Another question that I have is, How can you file a claim for a phone that goes missing from the postal office. I always ship everything with insurance and signature confirmation but what do they require the seller to confirm the price of the phone? Everything that I buy is straight off good ol craigslist and i do not get any receipts for anything obviously.

Message 1 of 205
latest reply
204 REPLIES 204

Re: How long does a buyer have to open a case and request a refund, lost items?

@fleamarketgoods wrote:

Unfortunately, this is a fairly common thing and one that I am currently dealing with also. I tend to run into the buyers remorse thing from time to time. I also find that it is generally from relatively new ebayers. I'm going to change my profile to not accept purchases from new ebayers and that they must have purchased a number of items or for a certain amount of time before I grant them the privilige of buying from me. Good luck.

Horrible idea.  I have had so many new buyers sign up for Ebay SPECIFICALLY to buy what I was selling and most went on to become repeat buyers.  Buying from you isnt a privilege - it is a necessity FOR YOU.  We none of us get so many sales we cant turn away paying customers.

Message 196 of 205
latest reply

I wasn't aware it was 45 days and that if I said no returns that means they can keep the item and get a refund, I'm a casual seller on eBay. This policy is crazy wrong, If I buy a game from any dept store once you open it you can't return it and if it's used you have a certain time frame to request a refund or exchange if they have the same title but nothing like 45 days. eBay needs to set time-frame guidelines for certain items. The seller I sold a video game to is now requesting a refund, they didn't state they wanted to return the item just that they wanted their money back. The kicker is it's 45 days to the date of when it was delivered (suspicious right) and when the asked for a refund and they sent two emails to me, the second one was asking me to hurry up and response on the same day.... I really wished I would have waited a day but they probably would have put the request in anyway saying I didn't response. I know the game I sold wasn't scratched and was in perfect condition but the pictures they took show a disc with scratches. I had asked the seller if they could take pictures of their sons installed games on his PS4 and a picture of the error message saying that the game won't install, instead I got pictures of what could be any game disc. I'm wondering how many other people might have just caved in and gave them a refund and if that happen eBay might not have records of this buyer constantly requesting refunds all the time right?

The seller claims when they got it back in Nov it had scratches but they thought it would still work so they didn't bother to inform me until the 45th day that their's a problem now. I have contacted eBay about this seller and what was said on our correspondence and asked if they could check their account for similar activity. I'm furious cause I sold other items around that time and now I know that other buyers can do the same and if they do have to send the items back it might not be anything, the same items I sent them or the items will be well used. I do believe this will be the last time I sell on eBay, it only take one bad apple to spoil the bunch for me. I will continue to buy but no longer sell regardless of the outcome. I still have pay pal to deal with after eBay if they do decide to side with me and PayPal's policy is 6 months. Who needs 6 months for a video game? Both companies need guidelines for certain items, a car I could understand a 6 month policy.  I'm really just venting, I've read so many stories about seller beware that I'm not too optimistic about my outcome.  Thanks for reading my long reply

Message 197 of 205
latest reply

I don't run a business and I'm just a casual seller, getting ripped off by someone will no matter what the cost still upsets anyone. I paid full price for the item, if we don't use it why not sell it. I sold it it wasn't suppose to be a freebie, otherwise I would have keep my item and let it collect dusk. I could have sold it to game spot for store credit instead of losing shipping fees and the item as well. You do know people shoplift and commit crimes on honest people and business, they don't care as long as they get something free.

Message 198 of 205
latest reply

Yes, I just had a buyer decide after having a new, out of the box mechanical item for 25 days that it was defective.  He wanted it in a hurry and asked me change the listing to buy it now so he could have it immediately then waited the 25 days to file an unsubstantiated defective claim, with just his word and no proof of any kind.  Ebay supported his bogus claim which could have involved user error, incorrect install, and many other variables which I outlined to support my case but they went unheard and ebay supported the buyer.  Sucks...

Message 199 of 205
latest reply

I totally agree with you on this.

Message 200 of 205
latest reply

Well said This Buyer bought a phone from me so she said that she has been trying to unlock it and get it connected with her company.. The phone can be unlocked but it has to be unlocked by experts and or Professionals and people that know how to unlock a phone besides the Company that is currently locked to.. Buyer is responsible to unlock the phone not the seller.. This buyer has clearly lied to me and eBay to get away with opening a return and issuing the money back.. This buyer opened a case against me with her lies saying that the Phone was defective and in Non working condition, When I went to her account to see what items she had for sale she had 0 but when I looked at the completed listing there was the phone listed as new other so this buyer tried to sell the phone I sold to her here on eBay  and then ended as an error on her listing.. Then she opens a case on me to get away with her false information.'' I reported all this to eBay even her Harrassing Threats and Profanity as well... 

Message 201 of 205
latest reply

The low lifes will use or damage the cell phone and Ebay alows them to get their money back.  Do not sell cell phones on Ebay.  there are a lot of byers that will knowingly rip you off.

Message 202 of 205
latest reply

I have sold phones on Ebay and the low lifes will use  a phone for over 30 days or damage the cell phone and Ebay alows them to get their money back.  Do not sell cell phones on Ebay.  there are a lot of byers that will knowingly rip you off, and Ebay is OK with it.  The offshore customer service personnel are insulated from the complaints and really dont care.

Message 203 of 205
latest reply

I wanted to make this known… If you have a counterfeit items and you have proven it it is AGAINST THE LAW to ship that item!  not against eBay's policy blah blah blah it is against the law to ship counterfeit items PERIOD

So if eBay tries to get you to return a counterfeit item you tell them know it is against the law to do so...  if you have any doubt to this call any shipper because I have FedEx UPS USPS all of them say it is prohibited to ship counterfeit items If EBAY asks you to do so they are asking you to break the law

Message 204 of 205
latest reply

I wanted to make this known… If you have a counterfeit item and you have proven it it is AGAINST THE LAW to ship that item!  not against eBay's policy blah blah blah it is against the law to ship counterfeit items PERIOD

So if eBay tries to get you to return a counterfeit item you tell them NO it is against the law to do so...  if you have any doubt to this call any shipper because I have! FedEx UPS USPS all of them say it is prohibited to ship counterfeit items If EBAY asks you to do so they are asking you to break the law

Message 205 of 205
latest reply