cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking Mini-Risks

I just read a brief post on Etsy about taking mini-risks as a route to increased productivity, which had a link to a longer blog post on the same topic. It seem like a good topic for our group, too.

The blog talks mostly about shy people taking social risks, but I think the advice would apply equally to taking small risks as a seller as well. Like listing something you've never listed before, asking business advice about something, etc.

At least for me, I think it also can apply to taking little risks connected to areas where I have medical/physical problems. I

Here are the links...

http://www.etsy.com/teams/5002/etsy-success/discuss/9927998/?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_...

http://www.jonathanfields.com/blog/how-to-pick-up-a-stranger-or-produce-brilliant-work/

As I posted in the daily chat thread, the first mini-risk I'm going to take is photgraphing and scanning larger items to sell, It may put my upper body into spasm, but it won't cause permanent injury and just may turn out to be no problem at all. And I may make more money, too! 🙂

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.
― Plato
Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Taking Mini-Risks

Great idea about how you can increase productivity ... I find that if I list on days when I am down and depressed, my items don't sell well but if I am in a good space in my head ... well, I am more creative and do better sales wise.

Good luck with your mini risk goal Pat ...

Kate

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Thanks, Kate. 🙂

On days when I have a bad headache, I find it hard to research items or think of good things to say. I know what you mean... I think I probably sound a bit down when I write at those times.

Sometimes I'll do photo-editing on the headache days, which the headaches don't interfere with as much.

And sometimes when I have brain fog, I find doing almost anything active (talking, moving, chores) can help get rid of it, while doing passive things like reading don't help.

― Plato
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Good topic Pat thank you for starting it.

Thinking about your topic. We tend to take mini risks trying to do things our bodies don't want to do. 🙂

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Exactly. When I do take a chance doing something I'm not sure my body (or brain) can handle, sometimes I surprise myself and it turns out fine.

― Plato
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Good article & blog!

I'm in the process of rebuilding my life. Not totally - still have great hubby and family. But my secure, good paying with great benefits, career-for-life is most likely gone forever (due to changing job market, the economy, and my health).

So I have to take risks, lots of them. Either that or sit on the sofa for the rest of my life, getting moldy.

Trouble is, any risk I take affects my hubby. And he is not comfortable taking risks. So I walk a fine line, trying to rebuild my life without increasing his stress.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I know what you mean about the risk of getting moldy! 🙂

I had a career for a long time in high tech. Sometimes I still wish I had some parts of what I used to have... like a steady income and good benefits... but I don't miss the 50+ hour weeks, the commute, and having to deal with various people and job problems.

Some days, though, I could use the external pressure that work deadlines used to impose to make sure I get things done. I find it far too easy to slip on my self-imposed deadlines. 😉

-- Edited by lehman-parker at 03/10/2012 10:18 AM PST

― Plato
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Another concept to add to taking mini-risks, is using the "inchpebble" approach to getting things done. If milestones seem too far out of reach and unattainable, set up inchpebbles... smaller, easier goals... instead.

I find when I remember this and try to at least get some small thing accomplished, often it works. Sometimes I only get the small thing done, but sometimes I'm able to keep on going and get other things done as well. The key thing, for me, is that I didn't get overwhelmed from setting too high a bar for myself.

― Plato
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

This topic is interesting for me. I've not taken many mini-risks. Last year I took a biggie-risk. I moved from New Jersey to Arkansas. Long story but I did it for health and safety reasons. I was able to do it because I took each day one day at a time. On the days I was healthy enough I got more than one thing done. On the days I wasn't healthy enough, I didn't get anything done. Eventually it all got done and I'm better for it!

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Hey sol...we're not far from you in AR--we're over the border in KS, Pittsburg.  We're over inthe Ozarks fairly often for a bible camp for kids--we volunteer our medical skills (very laid back atmosphere) and spend time there in spring/summer months.  Just on the othe rside of Springfield. 🙂

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, lean not unto thine own understandings. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Are you talking about Springfield MO? That's about 2 hours from me!

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Yes. 🙂  It's 2 1/2 hours from us too. 🙂

And my "little" cousin just graduated from U of AR and passed the bar.  She is the first of the Cuban family in the US to go to law school.  Papi is very proud. 🙂

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, lean not unto thine own understandings. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Exactly. When I do take a chance doing something I'm not sure my body (or brain) can handle, sometimes I surprise myself and it turns out fine.

That's true and it feels great when we accomplish that. But sometimes...well. I was getting Remicade infusions for about a year for Crohns disease. The first infusion went well with no problems. But on all 3 of the following infusions, I passed out cold about 5 or 6 hours later on the same day as the infusion.

I also have Type 1 diabetes and my doc thought low blood sugar was causing it because supposedly passing out is not a known side effect of Remicade, but I know better. I've only passed out once due to diabetes in my life, and my sugar was so low when I woke up that it was plain to see that's what caused it then.

Anyway, the last time I had an infusion, we decided to attend an auction about 2  1/2 hours away that same day. You guessed it, I felt it coming on and knew I was gonna pass out, so I went to the bathroom to sit down (didn't want the embarassment of fainting in a room full of people). Well I did black out, and fell over the sink somehow and broke 2 ribs.

My wife got excited and called an ambulance to get me to a hospital to be checked out, so I had the embarassment of gwakers anyway. LOL  Sugar was fine, so I know the Remicade caused it even if it's not a "known" side affect.

For those of you who don't know, a single Remicade infusion costs more than $9000.00 and in my case, I was having one every 3 months. Thank goodness for Medicare.

Anyway, I made the wife get me HOME that night. When I'm sick or ailing, there is NOWHERE like being home in my own bed and near my doctors who know me and my problems, and how to best help me when I'm down.

Charlie
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Wow, Charlie ... you aren't still gettting those infusions are you?

How awful that you passed out and broke ribs ... that is so painful.  Good thing your wife was there ...

I agree ... there's no place like home when not feeling up to par!

Kate

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Wow, Charlie ... you aren't still gettting those infusions are you?

How awful that you passed out and broke ribs ... that is so painful.  Good thing your wife was there ...

I agree ... there's no place like home when not feeling up to par!

Kate

Hi Kate. No I told my gastro doc what happened and that I had had my last infusion. He switched me to imuran for the crohns. Been taking that for almost 2 years now and so far, without very bad or very many side effects. It seems to be working OK for me so far, knock on wood.

Charlie
Message 15 of 18
latest reply