cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Animals

Been noticing many others are old softies when it comes to lost animals. 

What is it that makes them so good at getting us to want to help them?

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Lost Animals

they are innocent and they give us stinky noisy humans unconditional love! They are more loyal than men and more greatful than children. I love my 2 beasts, and if you told me 5 years ago I would own a yorkie and a pitbull, I would have laughed at you. I write this as one rescue dog is sleeping at my feet and the other is nuzzled up under my arm. I am in heavan!!

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Ahh ... my daughter and her boyfriend own a pit bull ... she is the friendliest dog I have known ... affectionate and loving around children.  How nice that you rescued one. 

Kate

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

That was a perfect posting katesmom, I can just picture them being there with you.

Welcome to our group. A group hug from all of us.

DWB

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

(((((((((((group hug))))))))))))

Kate

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

I relate better to animals than I do people most of the time 🙂  Especially dogs.  I keep a slip lead in my car and treats to catch any stray dog I see so I can get them back to there homes.  Here in Tucson AZ a stray is just a meal wating to happen, as I know is true in some of your areas too.  

When I was doing dog training before my back got worse I offered free training assistance for any rescue dog.

Having a real hard time right because my 13 year old golden mix rescue is on the fast track for the rainbow bridge due to liver failure.  She will only eat chicken breast, dry cereal and of all things cole slaw but not enough to really get enough calories into her.   I have tried cooking so many different things for her this last week my husband was upset that there was no food for him.  Smiley Frustrated

My 3 year old shepard mix either has a torn ligament in her left rear leg ACL or she has early onset arthritus.  I can kick myself I almost bought pet insurance this time too!   At least it would have covered the surgery due to injury whcih is what i think it is.  I am in the "let's try this"  part of the treatment with the vet.  Rimadyl then KLASER treatment, cold laser that helps healing. 

So long story short that's why I haven't been on the boards much lately.  Plus trying to post a lot more listings for the holidays takes up a lot of time with my hubbies collectibles.   

Hope you're all doing ok. 

Jen

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

Somehow our cats and dogs know when we need them the most. I've had a spate of days in bed this past month and every time I'm stuck in bed, both my kitties know mommy isn't well and they spend the entire day with me in bed. My friend and I were talking about just this subject today. She has a yorkie. Before she had her surgery she was in a lot of pain. The dog would lay by her side and if the boys or her husband would come into the room, the dog would give them the "Leave my mommy alone...she's sick" look and that was that.

I don't know how many of you are on Facebook. I've noticed a lot of my Facebook friends (I only have 17) have been posting memes that have to do with how people are mean, nasty, greedy, backstabbing, etc. My kitties do have a way of getting on each other's nerves at times and they are certainly mean to the mice and bugs they hunt. But they are always unconditional in their devotion to me...as long as I feed them!

P.S. All my pets have been rescues. Don't know if Lil G is considered a rescue...I can't bring her into the house but she's being fed and I gave her a warm bed/house outside to sleep in.

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

Glad that LIL G is hanging around, sounds like she knows a good thing.   

Cheyenne won't eat at all today.  Probably going to have to put her to sleep Monday or Tuesday.   Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

She is the black and tan godlen mix.  The shepard mix in the kennel is Heidi just after I adopted her.  She came from an older couple who were not able to walk her etc so when I got her at 3 years of age she had no idea how to play with toys or what so many things in the world are. Thankfully once she smells something, even if she's afraid of it to begin with she's ok.  Very smart dog, I taught her in one day to "seek" her toys after I hid them in another room.  Unfortunatley she probably has a torn ACL so may need surgery.   I am lucky that I can afford to do the surgery, I may have to put off some other things but new cabinets do not snuggle up to you.   

Well I better get back to work, got Christmas ornaments to wrap and ship. 

And my first international sale of $236 to Australia 🙂 

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

WE once ran our business on our farm up in Tax-achusetts.  The farm was loaded with animals that died of old age instead of a slaughter house.

Everyone brought us stray or no longer wanted animals. We had so many cats ..... at night they would all gather together in what we called "the cat pile". There were more than 30 of them. Hard to count cause they were very active.

Plus all sorts of things would wander in from the massive forest that wrapped around us. AT night it sounded like a zoo.

There was a row of junk cars out in the back. Every one had an animal or two living inside. Some had babies in the junk cars. We'd make sure everyone was fed and comfortable before going in for the night.

The trees were loaded with multiple kinds of hens, roosters and other interesting things. We built a duck pond which was loaded. We even built them a slide which they figured out how to use?

The feed store knew us by first name. They would deliver....Smiley LOL

Really enjoying reading the postings in this topic. Seems we are all animal lovers,

DWB

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

Sadly we had to put Cheyenne to sleep yesterday.  My other dog Heidi was very unsure about eating today since she always had to wait until Cheyenne was fed first. 

I will start looking for a playmate for her soon, a rescue dog of course 🙂 

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

So sorry to read about needing to put Cheyenne to sleep. I can feel your pain. Been through that with so many pets.

You are smart to come up with what we would refer to a "A Don't Wanna".

A pet that the previous owner did not want.

Every animal we ever had was "A Don't Wanna".

Hope you are feeling better about it today,

DWB

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

Thanks for the concern, it's getting easier. 

Yesterday was hard though because my sister in law also lost a dog a day before Cheyenne. He was a sweety Aussie Sheppard that was about the size of a shetlon pony.   He was only 5 and devopled aplastic anemia practically overnight. .  They are trying to figure what caused it by doing an autopsy.  

We had a wonderful dinner at her house but she wanted to talk about him a lot and that set my 27 year old niece to crying and we almost all joined in. 

I didn't mind talking about him, I am one that likes to "talk things out", can you tell 🙂

Hope your Thanksgiving was nice.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

Yesterday there was someones domesticated bunny rabbit walking around out here. A big beautiful light brown one. He would kind of come towards us but then decide not to. We put water and some munchies out for her.

Then last night a lost kitty cat appeared. He found the munchies and the water. No more signs of the bunny rabbit. Kitty cat was afraid to get close also.

In this area there are gators, bobcats, panthers, bear, and many other wild animals. Hope they do not get ahold of these 2 lost animals.

Hope your pain will go away over losing your Cheyenne. 

DWB

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

Thanks.  It's always hard loosing a pet.  My husband for the first couple of days said he didn't want to get another dog ( or any pet) other than the two we have because it hurts too much to loose them. 

Then he saw the pictures of my sister-in-laws new chocolate lab puppy.  Big softy metled and is ready to go find a puppy at the humane society asap.  Still need to get my other dogs leg healed up.  The cold laser treatments are working though. 

Hope the stray kitty and rabbit know how to run faassssst!  Coyotes, bobcats and various hawks and owls are the predators here.  

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

Interesting how "big softeee" is starting to consider another pet. Seems we all go thru that deep hurt for a week or so when losing a pet. Then we begin looking at another one. We always take in "don't wanna" animals too. The ones nobody wants.

You may have seen the story on the news about a bear mauling a woman here in Florida yesterday. We are in their forest. They were here first. Been a lot of this going on. The place is loaded with bear. They are everywhere. The experts say there are way too many of them and its time to bring back the hunting. Not sure what the right answer is on that one.

Message 15 of 35
latest reply