cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duncan & Miller Tear Drop question

I need a "Tear Drop" expert to settle a question about the pickle dish vs. the bottom of the butter dish, specifically the length. Some places say that the pickle dish is 6" long, some say 7", some 7-1/4". There seems to be agreement that the two dishes LOOK the same, but are different lengths. My "elegant" glass book doesn't give the sizes for either one. So, what's the verdict?

thanks,

bb

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Duncan & Miller Tear Drop question

Replacements.com gives the pickle dish length as 7-1/4", but doesn't give a length on the butter.
Oh, and some places use "Tear Drop" and others use "Teardrop". Which is correct?
bb
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I'm no expert but my Gene Florence 6th edition list the pickle dish as 6" long .hopes this helps
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

it also list relish as 7"
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thanks.

All of the "relish" dishes shown in two of my books have dividers. Mine doesn't have a divider, and it's 7-1/4" long, so it has to be the pickle or the butter bottom. The pickle is 6" in my Florence "Elegant Glassware" book, but 7-1/4" on Replacements.com. Neither gives a butter size. Either of those has been wrong in the past, so I don't know where to turn. 😞

bb

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

A picture would probably be helpful. My Duncan book shows a picture of the Pickle dish and is described as "6in. Hld. Pickle", (no divider).  The only other relish dish that is 6" long is the 2 Compartment Olive dish. The rest of the relish dishes are 11". It doesn't even list a butter dish.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

The pickle and the butter look the same, but are two different lengths. Supposedly. But, which is which?
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Several years ago, there was someone on this site almost daily who collected Teardrop. He would have known for sure. Rats, I can't even remember his name anymore.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

FWIW, I looked in HMW2, which has 3 pages in her book, which represents of 12 pages of catalog reprints, of this pattern.  She notes the catalog reprints are from 1943.  Nothing is identified in the catalog as a butter, but that doesn't mean it wasn't produced.  It may have been available in other years, but not 1943

There is a 6" handled relish, that has additional measurements of 1 1/4" high and 3" wide.  The only other handled, undivided dish that might be called a relish was an 11" celery, 1 1/2" high and 3 1/2" wide.  

Message 9 of 9
latest reply