cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does PGX Rating Bring Down The Value Of A Comic?

Over the years I have tried to sell a number of PGX rated comics with very little to no success.  Similiar comics rated CGC were no issue for me to sell.  I have contemplated taking the comics out of their PGX case and sell them outright as a raw ungraded comic.  Please give me your two cents worth on what you think of my question.  It may be kind of hard to believe taking a book out of it's case but when buyers seem to "turn up their nose at the PGX rating I feel it may be a good option.

Message 1 of 176
latest reply
175 REPLIES 175

I have never seriously considered PGX for my books. I have sent in to CGC several times and have been satisfied with grading for the most part but disappointed with the long turnaround times.
I have been prepping a new batch of books for grading and am considering CGCS but am still undecided.
Their prices are slightly less and the turnaround time seems better but I am still considering. One reason I'm still leaning towards CGC is that I prefer to have my books pressed and have dealt with Matt Nelson several times even before he was with CGC.  One time I sent in a batch of books for pressing and he contacted me personally to say 2 had flaws (both of which I had missed) that he deemed non grade worthy. He could have just pressed them and sent them to CGC but instead he sent them back to me at no extra charge.

Message 166 of 176
latest reply

CGC, PGX or CBCS ? In my opinion a graded book no matter which company grades it should be worth more than raw. I have graded books from all 3 and have no problem with any company. You read stories about PGX missing things or over grading. Is it really over grading if it's a third party doing an unbiased opinion? PGX books have been cracked, sent to CGC to return with a lower grade all the time. Let me ask you this, how many times do you here that someone has sent a book to CGC and were shocked that it received a lower grade than expected? You hear that story time and time again. I've also heard that CGC starts there grading at 9.8 and goes down from there. Isn't the grading supposed to start at 10 then down. Something to think about. With that being said is PGX really over grading? Just a thought. Most of my comics go to CGC or CBCS only because I live about 20 minutes from both and don't have to pay for shipping,  but I do buy PGX books.

Message 167 of 176
latest reply

first of i am in the uk sell loads of books i have no probel selling pgx books i have just sent some books to pgx/cgc/cbcs all sent at the same time amazingly i got my books back from pgx in a stagging 24 day return i am amazed why is this i had to phone up cbcs and to be told they had no record of my order turning up. i told them they had them as they was signed for on the 29th sep. took them nearly 6 weeks to confrim the had my books no responce and no idea when i am going to get my books back. same with cgc. the new look case. from pgx are better in my appinion than the old cgc holders i have already sent another bach to pgx and have put in for 8 day turn around why are cgc/cbcs sitting on the books and taking so long to return them as soon as they get the books first thing they do is take your money well maybe they need to do a faster turn arouind to there customers and stopp giving the top 3 us dealer. preferance and look after there customers first i am sending all my comics to pgx my customers over here do not care as long as it is slabbed and graded.

Message 168 of 176
latest reply

Message 169 of 176
latest reply

I don't see how a PGX certification could bring DOWN the value of a book. Heck, buy a book because it's cheaper in the PGX case and then crack it out! Seriously though, I think the question at this point is whether a PGX certified book is "worth" less (or more precisely, will sell for less) than a CGC or CBCS certified book, and the answer to that question is obviously and factually yes. In my long experience here and with ComicLink and ComicConnect and dozens of other dealers both local and national, it is simply an accepted fact that PGX is not looked upon with the same degree of respect and confidence as the other two certifiers. The degree of trust accorded to CGC and CBCS is clearly higher.
Message 170 of 176
latest reply

i have done it and it works i even got pgx comics ebay for 30 bukcs take it out of the case and got 60 for it so i really belive is better of i use pgx for my personal collection just because they cheaper and they got better with time but as far it goes to sell people out there they just pay less for pgx

Message 171 of 176
latest reply

I'm reading this thread because I wanted to get some information about PGX due to an incident that recently took place regarding an X-Men #1 comic book they certified (it was graded in June of 2018). The book was given a 4.5 grade with no notes on the label regarding any major issues, but when the buyer shipped it to CGC  (still in the PGX holder), CGC found that 2 pages were missing from the book and gave it a 4.0 Qualified (Green) label, drastically reducing the value and desirability of the book.

I don't see how a company can claim to be competent at something when they can't even get the proper page count correct on an easy book like an X-Men #1. There are only 16 pages in that book and 2 of them were missing (the 12th and 16th pages).

To me, this type of mistake on a key Marvel book is likely one of the reasons that PGX books don't sell very well.

In my view, not all grading companies are the same...some of them actually know what they're doing. Considering the volume that CGC deals with, they are clearly the more trusted choice, especially for books that have real value.

Message 172 of 176
latest reply

True. I find people always over grade their raw comics, even if it is a reputable comic store. 

As far as grading between PGX and CGC, back  in 2005 when I sent comics to both, including opening a graded PGX and sending it to CGC for grading, they usually came back with an identical grade.

Message 173 of 176
latest reply

CGC has many more people that support them and like to talk down their competition. I have personally had some terrible experiences with CGC grading comics much lower than should have been. After a couple of those experiences I stopped using them.
Message 174 of 176
latest reply

boy this didnt age well...
Message 175 of 176
latest reply

but they do immediately profit from the grade. higher the grade means higher the value means higher they charge you for their service...
Message 176 of 176
latest reply