cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Comics be shipped through the USPS as Media Rate

Can anyone say definatively yes or no? Some clerks will accept packages for this rate and others say No...claim its "Magazines and has advertising" etc. Its been a crap shoot at the post offices I use and I'm tired of getting burnt on large shipments if I can in fact ship Media Rate. They end up using this other rate that maybe saves a dime called Printed Material but is a variable rate based on where its going by Zip Code so many times its about the same as First Class. Tonight at the 24/7 Post Office I figure it cost me an extra $40. I try to kkep my shipping cost to a minimum to my customers but its getting to be a losing proposition when the post office will not cooperate! Please advise and thanks for input Tony
Message 1 of 533
latest reply
532 REPLIES 532

To the Post Office:

Hey I own the government pal and I says that media mail is okay for comocs!

Signed 😛

Message 196 of 533
latest reply

Been using Bound Printed Matter rate since I started selling. No problems. Rate and delivery times are similar to Media Mail. If it's within a few states, have found it to be almost as quick as first class. My slowest ships are to states in the south or northwest(NM, AZ, ID, MT)Main draw back is the 15 lbs weight restriction. After that, it's Parcel Post. Check USPS.com for the restrictions and details. Technically comics do not fall under Media Mail requirements. Most sellers use this rate not knowing the restrictions. Many Postal employees do not know the difference, do not rely on their judgement. Have heard of sellers getting their packages inspected and having a hassle to get them back. It's a low risk but unnecessary with the rate options available. Hope this helps!
Message 197 of 533
latest reply

illuminated
Enthusiast
Heads-Up! One issue with BPM is that undeliverable packages are discarded, rather than returned to sender, UNLESS you mark each package with "Return Service Requested".

Check out my eBay Store !!!
Message 198 of 533
latest reply

illuminated
Enthusiast
If PayPal included BPM in their shipping options for USPS, I'd imagine a lot more folks would be using it.

Check out my eBay Store !!!
Message 199 of 533
latest reply

I took a package of comics to the PO once marked BPM, the clerk asked what it was, I told him comics and he changed it to MEDIA MAIL and told me it would be cheaper. I figured, hey okay! It's his baby now!

Message 200 of 533
latest reply

jch1966
Enthusiast
You can definatly send comics and the "Bound Printed Matter" rate up to 15 lbs. In some cases it's cheaper & others it's not much higher.
Message 201 of 533
latest reply

fulltimer56
Thrill-Seeker
I put "Return Service Requested" on almost all of my package no matter what class I send it in!

Linda

Make sure to come visit us at The Corral!! Check my ME page for the link!

Comics Board Birthday Link

Cooks Nook Board Birthday Link

Message 202 of 533
latest reply

Linda: That's fine, but keep in mind that it's merely requested - there's no requirement for the Post Office to honor your request.
Message 203 of 533
latest reply

If they honor "Return Service Requested" in the same way they honor "Do Not Bend," we're in trouble!
Message 204 of 533
latest reply

4zack
Scout
dpx, You must write "Fragile - Do Not Bend" on the envelope and then everything is fine. You must remember the "Fragile". That makes all the difference.

Message 205 of 533
latest reply

fulltimer56
Thrill-Seeker
:^O @ 4zack!! Oh yeah, FRAGILE makes all the different in the world!! 😉

Linda

Message 206 of 533
latest reply

4zack
Scout
You got it, Linda. It is a mystical Word Of Power. You can bag & board, sandwich, bubblewrap and packing peanut all you want, but "FRAGILE" is the only way to guarantee it will arrive in pristine condition. Trust me on this. I'm a dabbler in the mystic arts, so I know of what I speak.

Message 207 of 533
latest reply

fulltimer56
Thrill-Seeker
4zack, are you off your meds again? :^O 😛

Message 208 of 533
latest reply

4zack
Scout
No, Linda. Just sniffed too many paint fumes. Thank you for your concern. 🙂

Message 209 of 533
latest reply

william8464
Enthusiast
IT DEPENDS ON THE POST OFFICE HEAD AND THE PERSON RUNNING THE COUNTER!

Few books get shipped back when the post office allows it. BUT there are some idiots that want a higher rate!

IF you run into these people....go to another post office!

MY local does not even allow books to be sent at MEDIA rate?:| According to "HIM" nothing applies.

My fav PO - - - lets just say that I go there and they know what I ship - - - AFTER scoping the clerks out.

They know the regs, and have no problem - a non-current book is media. OTHER places make books AND anything with an advertisement/copyright out-of-bounds!

IF you have trouble shipping your comics media....GO TO ANOTHER PO!

MOST po's have no problem! IF you get pulled then just smile and pay up. Find another PO or hope that you don't ship to that ZIP again;-)
Message 210 of 533
latest reply