cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Comics be shipped through the USPS as Media Rate

Can anyone say definatively yes or no? Some clerks will accept packages for this rate and others say No...claim its "Magazines and has advertising" etc. Its been a crap shoot at the post offices I use and I'm tired of getting burnt on large shipments if I can in fact ship Media Rate. They end up using this other rate that maybe saves a dime called Printed Material but is a variable rate based on where its going by Zip Code so many times its about the same as First Class. Tonight at the 24/7 Post Office I figure it cost me an extra $40. I try to kkep my shipping cost to a minimum to my customers but its getting to be a losing proposition when the post office will not cooperate! Please advise and thanks for input Tony
Message 1 of 533
latest reply
532 REPLIES 532

drautosound
Enthusiast
If its has advertising it is not eligible for media mail.
Message 2 of 533
latest reply

What a unique idea for a thread!

Message 3 of 533
latest reply

fulltimer56
Thrill-Seeker
Tony, I'm sorry to say there isn't a yes or no when it comes to Media Mail. I think it is just the luck of the draw!!

Some post offices don't care but others have an hair up their a$$ about it and will not let you ship using it. I guess I'm lucky because both post offices close to me don't care.

Linda

Welcome to Fulltimer's Out of Storage Comics & Stuff

Make sure to come visit us at The Corral!! Check my ME page for the link!

Comics Board Birthday Link

Cooks Nook Board Birthday Link

Message 4 of 533
latest reply

rawk_gurl
Enthusiast
I always am allowed to ship Media mail with my comics.

I was wondering if anyone ran into a problem with getting delivery confirmation? I ship my books in a padded envelope and a very rude Postal worker told me she cant put DC on a shipment unless it's Priority Mail, or in a box. Anyone know if this is the case, I've shipped many comics and never had this happen before?
Message 5 of 533
latest reply

Padded envelopes should be fine, the restriction is based on the thickness of the shipment, has to be 1/2 inch or something small like that. If you have a couple of pieces of cardboard in there then you are all set... if you don't well don't get me started on how to pack comics for safe shipping... it never seems to help.
Message 6 of 533
latest reply

To rawk gurl I can answer the Deliv. Confirmation question. The package must exceed 3/4" thick. The way you get around that is to add shipping peanuts or crumpled paper or anything light so that it exceeds the minimum thickness. Its petty but that's how the are and that's how you get around the 3/4" thickness requirement/Tony
Message 7 of 533
latest reply

rawk_gurl
Enthusiast
Thanks guys!
Message 8 of 533
latest reply

I've never had problems with shipping comics media mail either. In fact, it was a postal clerk who suggested sending them media mail when I asked what my options were for shipping comics.

As far as delivery confirmation, that's never been an issue but I ship with boxes. If the size of the package (that sounded odd) is what determines what qualifies for DC, then use boxes or put more cardboard slabs in the envelope.
Message 9 of 533
latest reply

drautosound
Enthusiast
It is 3/4" of an inch or be in a rigid (ie box) package. Cardboard inside if a bubble mailer should be rigid enough. Ask the clerk to show you the DMM, especially the new re-formatted one, for the description of this.

Nothing that contains advertisements is supposed to go Media Mail.
Message 10 of 533
latest reply

From USPS.com:

You can use Delivery Confirmation with:

First-Class Mail® Parcels - Envelopes and small packages weighing 13 ounces or less. Applies only to boxes or envelopes measuring at least 3/4” at thickest point.
Priority Mail® - Cost effective delivery in an average of 2-3 days.
Package Services Parcels - Send small and large packages, envelopes, and tubes. Includes Parcel Post®, Media Mail®, Bound Printed Matter, and Library Mail.
Standard Mail Parcels - Items weighing less than 16 ounces can be sent at discounted presorted and automation rates. Available only for pieces subject to the residual shape surcharge and mailed at the Electronic rate.
Parcel Select® - Send large volumes of packages at a discount.

So the 3/4" thickness requirement applies only to First Class Mail. I have not seen any exception for rigidity of the package, but that doesn't mean drauto is incorrect.

It's been a little while since we've had a Media Mail thread, so tony5205 cannot be expected to have seen one.

drauto is correct that items containing "advertising" are not eligible for Media Mail. The problem is that different USPS employees define or recognize "advertising" in many different ways. Ads in non-current comics (back issues) may or may not be seen as "advertising" anywhere in the process from mailing to delivery. If you tell postal clerks that you are shipping comics Media Mail, some will not accept them. Others will not care. Same goes for postal inspectors, who conceivably may be examining your package at any point in the process. If the contents of a Media Mail package are deemed ineligible for Media Mail rates at any time after mailing, they will generally be delivered with postage due from the recipient, usually in the amount of the difference between the rate for Media Mail and Parcel Post, which can be significant. Therefore, if you as a seller ship comics Media Mail, you must be prepared to indemnify your buyers if they face additional expense on their end.

That stated, I get approx. 80% of my comics delivered Media Mail. I mail approx. 90% of comics sales via Media Mail. I have never had a package opened and delivered with postage due either way. I have received a sales brochure from Saab - yes, a giant advertisement with no content other than advertising - via Media Mail.

IMO it is nice to be able to offer Media Mail shipping to your buyers. You are certainly not violating the spirit of the law by shipping comic books via Media Mail. The USPS has become more aware of people shipping non-media items like dishes, clothing, etc. at Media Mail rates, so it is because of that sort of thing that packages are or may be getting opened. Just be wary of overzealous USPS clerks at the time of mailing, state you are shipping "books" (which is not a lie!) and hopefully enjoy a greater eBay sales volume.
Check out my "ME" page for a link to The Corral - sweet freedom is at hand!
Message 11 of 533
latest reply

drautosound
Enthusiast
here we go

9.2.2 Eligible Matter
Delivery Confirmation is available for First-Class Mail parcels defined in 401.1.0 as machinable (with no minimum weight), irregular, or outside parcels; for all Priority Mail pieces; for Standard Mail pieces subject to the residual shape surcharge (electronic option only); and for Package Services parcels defined in 401.1.0 as machinable, irregular, or outside parcels. For the purposes of using Delivery Confirmation with a First-Class Mail parcel or a Package Services parcel, the parcel must meet these additional requirements:

a. The surface area of the address side of the parcel must be large enough to contain completely and legibly the delivery address, return address, postage, and any applicable markings, endorsements, and extra service labels.

b. Except as provided in 9.2.2c for machinable parcels, the parcel must be greater than 3/4 inch thick at its thickest point.

c. If the mailpiece is a machinable parcel under 401.1.0 and no greater than 3/4 inch thick, the contents must be prepared in a strong and rigid fiberboard or similar container or in a container that becomes rigid after the contents are enclosed and the container is secured. The parcel must be able to maintain its shape, integrity, and rigidity throughout processing and handling without collapsing into a letter-size or flat-size piece. [S918.1.2]

mmkay
Message 12 of 533
latest reply

drautosound
Enthusiast
I menat to include this link, which is AWESOME for answering question realting to USPS and their guidelines. It is up to you to know the DMM (Domestic Mail Manuel) becuase the clerk can say whatever they want and claim to be right and they are until/if you can prove they are wrong.

Check it out:

http://pe.usps.gov/
Message 13 of 533
latest reply

Thank you, drauto. I was running into a problem where I was shipping sports cards in a small padded envelope and the clerk would not allow DC on them. I got around this by putting a styrofoam peanut inside, causing the package to exceed 3/4" thickness. It appears that this type of a package is a "flat" and not a machinable parcel, though. The clerk just explained it to me as all First Class Mail had to be 3/4" thick or greater in order to get DC.
Check out my "ME" page for a link to The Corral - sweet freedom is at hand!
Message 14 of 533
latest reply

ringfinger1999
Enthusiast
I just say I am shipping books.
Message 15 of 533
latest reply