cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Comics be shipped through the USPS as Media Rate

Can anyone say definatively yes or no? Some clerks will accept packages for this rate and others say No...claim its "Magazines and has advertising" etc. Its been a crap shoot at the post offices I use and I'm tired of getting burnt on large shipments if I can in fact ship Media Rate. They end up using this other rate that maybe saves a dime called Printed Material but is a variable rate based on where its going by Zip Code so many times its about the same as First Class. Tonight at the 24/7 Post Office I figure it cost me an extra $40. I try to kkep my shipping cost to a minimum to my customers but its getting to be a losing proposition when the post office will not cooperate! Please advise and thanks for input Tony
Message 1 of 533
latest reply
532 REPLIES 532

ringfinger1999
Enthusiast
Good point!
Message 181 of 533
latest reply

With all due respect (one of my favorite hackneyed expressions on message boards, used to indicate that the poster has, in fact, very little respect for the comments and/or poster referenced) lizard, perhaps you should have read all of the other comments before posting, as then you might have been able to add something useful to the discussion. With that in mind, are you trying to imply with your last sentence that somehow a seller's reputation will be irreparably damaged if a Media Mail package of comics arrives postage due?
Check out my "ME" page for a link to The Corral - sweet freedom is at hand!
Message 182 of 533
latest reply

stickerangel
Thrill-Seeker
yes you can send it media mail.

<
Message 183 of 533
latest reply

cracked_fan_site
Enthusiast
My two cents? On 03/20/2006 I sent the following email to pmgceo@email.usps.gov

"I've taken a few hours to locate this email address. I hope it's not in vain.

I'll get right to the point. The definition of Media Mail has me perplexed, specifically with regard to advertising. I believe that the original intent was to prevent extant advertisements from passing as Media Mail. I often mail back issues of magazines and comic books. They typically contain advertisements. Today, I mailed old comics which did contain advertising. My typical response from my local branch was to upgrade to Priority Mail. Nowhere have I seen any information regarding obsolete advertising.

I have many comic books and magazines awaiting sale (thousands). If you've ever read an old comic book or magazine then you can appreciate my dilemma. They typically contain advertisements for a variety of products. I anticipate that there should be a cut-off regarding the duration of active advertisement. The current "blanket" ruling seems preposterous. I think the initial rule anticipated that I was trying to sell via the advertisement. I simply acquired the magazine or comic and want to sell it. I'm not advertising anything other than the specific issue for sale.

In a nutshell, do back issues of old comic books and magazines qualify for media mail?
p.s. I firmly believe that they should!

p.p.s. The United States Post Office normally provides exemplary service. I can only recall one instance where a parcel was lost because it was jammed in a machine. A few years later the parcel was recovered intact. Overall, keep up the good work!"

I wonder if they'll respond?
Message 184 of 533
latest reply

Good try, but don't hold your breath! 😉
Message 185 of 533
latest reply

You know, I used to receive DVDs from AMAZON.COM marked MEDIA MAIL all the time. A typical movie or TV show DVD contains advertising for other products. Why are comics discriminated against?

Message 186 of 533
latest reply

For the most part, they're not, except by a few anal-retentive people who like to personalize their interpretations of very simple ideas.
Just about EVERYTHING that Media Mail allows contains advertising (Books, CD's, DVD's, Video Tapes, Cassettes, etc.)
The restrictions were originally invented to prevent Media Mail from being used to send junk mail (shopping flyers or mail with no other purpose than to advertise, etc.)
It's just evident that the USPS, like most bureaucracies, can't seem to get it's act together by simplifying & qualifying their own rules, regulations & definitions.
~
Message 187 of 533
latest reply

fulltimer56
Thrill-Seeker
Nuff' said!

Make sure to come visit us at The Corral!! Check my ME page for the link!

Comics Board Birthday Link

Cooks Nook Board Birthday Link

Message 188 of 533
latest reply

cracked_fan_site
Enthusiast
Hey they did respond! I suppose that's the final nail in the coffin regarding comics and media mail.

Dear Mr. Everett

I am the Manager of Mailing Standards for the U.S. Postal Service. Your recent email to the Postmaster General has been referred to me for response.

Eligibility for the Media Mail rates was originally contained in Federal Law (former Title 39, United States Code, section 4554(a)). The requirements and definitions are carried forward today in the postal regulations you see in the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) including sections that define books.

Comic books are not books eligible for the Media Mail rates for two reasons. The first, comic books are generally "periodicals publications" published at ongoing intervals with an indefinite lifespan. Many such comic books are mailed by publishers as Periodicals mail, similar to national and local magazines and newspapers. The second hindrance to being eligible to be mailed as a book at Media Mail rates is the presence of advertising in comic books. No advertising, except incidental announcements of other books, is allowed in books eligible to be mailed as Media Mail.

The rates available for mailing a comic book are Express Mail rates, Priority Mail rates, First-Class Mail rates, and Bound Printed Matter rates depending on how quickly the mailer wants the material to reach the addressee. These are the same rates available to you, or any other member of the public, for mailing magazines and newspapers regardless of their age.

Thank you for the nice compliment regarding the service we provide. I hope this note provides the answers to your questions concerning Media Mail.

Sincerely,

Sherry Suggs
Message 189 of 533
latest reply

...and what about comics that are Specials or One-Shots that don't contain advertising (the comic stores are littered with them)?
What about independent comics, many of which may not be periodicals and may only contain advertising of other books published by the creators.
What about Trade Paper Backs? They're not periodicals and don't contain ads outside of incidental ones. Same for Graphic Novels and an assortment of other types of comic books.
Is the USPS going to differentiate between all these different types of comic BOOKS and sort out the ones that qualify from the ones that don't?
~
Message 190 of 533
latest reply

cracked_fan: Would you please post the address of the person who responded so that those who care to can address these issues further?
Message 191 of 533
latest reply

cracked_fan_site
Enthusiast
Your wish is my command!

sherry.l.suggs@usps.gov
Message 192 of 533
latest reply

TYVM. I'll see if I can get around to composing something this week...
Message 193 of 533
latest reply

illuminated
Enthusiast
"I suppose that's the final nail in the coffin regarding comics and media mail."

What coffin?

There is no finality on this issue. One reply from the USPS does not mean that the rules will be applied uniformly.

I am worried, however. Now that gallinator's on the case, harrassing officialdom, they may get really peeved enough to begin a crackdown just to spite him.

Check out my eBay Store !!!
Message 194 of 533
latest reply

Did I ever tell you about the time that the Federal Government shipped me......

oh, never mind.

;)
Message 195 of 533
latest reply