cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Comics be shipped through the USPS as Media Rate

Can anyone say definatively yes or no? Some clerks will accept packages for this rate and others say No...claim its "Magazines and has advertising" etc. Its been a crap shoot at the post offices I use and I'm tired of getting burnt on large shipments if I can in fact ship Media Rate. They end up using this other rate that maybe saves a dime called Printed Material but is a variable rate based on where its going by Zip Code so many times its about the same as First Class. Tonight at the 24/7 Post Office I figure it cost me an extra $40. I try to kkep my shipping cost to a minimum to my customers but its getting to be a losing proposition when the post office will not cooperate! Please advise and thanks for input Tony
Message 1 of 533
latest reply
532 REPLIES 532

thedesertcactus
Adventurer
I have read that in the threads and that just doesn't work here. We sell romance novels as well as other things, so we have books at the ready, but I have talked to them about what you are suggesting and this is NOT how the info is meant.
Now before I get slammed with a ton of messages, I am referring to MY po's in MY area. IF your's allows you to do that then great! But I can not knowingly do something that is considered wrong around here and jepordize my business.
Message 331 of 533
latest reply

You should ask them to explain section 4.1 and why comics don't qualify as "printed matter". I'm curious to know why your PO refuses to allow for this specified allowance stated in the postal regulations that my PO fully accepts.
Message 332 of 533
latest reply

ripley209209
Enthusiast
I send most comics via media mail. They are not 'magazines'-I do not however send 'Heavy Metal' media mail, but for a small fee bump it up to first class. Some packages are actually nearly the same price sent priority, depending on the weight. I had decided to quit eBay due to their new policies and have not been listing or buying. But have decided that if I do, from now on I will send priority only.
This is because by the time ebay takes it's listing fee, final value fee, and whopping paypal fee, ( ebay ofcorse ouns Paypal) and buy shipping materials, end up covered with shipping tape, accidently tape my cat to my dog, cut cardboard to the exact measurement, and pay 75 cents for confirmation I think I am paying ebay for my time.
So if I ever decide to come back, it will be priority only for shipping. The buyers wil recieve their books faster, and it will keep me from doing fisticffs with packaging.
Hope this helps.
Message 333 of 533
latest reply

I can understand where giff is coming from.

I believe his interpretation to be correct.

However, no matter how well prepared a person is for his "day in court" an opportunity is often never provided to explain oneself.

That is kind of a tangent, and maybe not appropriate here. What I'm saying is that is appropriate here is that IF a package got uprated to Priority and the buyer was told he had to pay $5 more, that's all that would matter to the buyer. The seller could protest all s/he liked, but it wouldn't make a lick of difference to the buyer, and might not make a lick of difference to the USPS. The real world is full of arbitrary decisions and actions.

All that said, the key to shipping comics via media mail is to NOT ENGAGE postal employees.

The best way to avoid confrontation is to avoid confrontation. It's a way of life. On the bus. Just add water; Makes it's own sauce.

Print the labels on-line. Drop on the drop box. Move on.

IF you are not near a PO with a drop box and MUST go to the counter every time AND have complete tools for clerks, THEN yeah, you pretty much can't use Media Mail for comics. But I receive comics via Media Mail about five days a week. No problemos.
Best Match is The Devil!

The DEVIL !!!
Message 334 of 533
latest reply

I had to wait in line at the PO the other day. The clerk got all upset about everything. Do you have a lot of packages? (I had four, and there was no line.) Why was I bringing postpaid boxes to the window? Because they're international, and the instructions said I should, I replied. She tried to say that I should place the labels in the sealing envelope myself. I said that that was contrary to what other clerks had told me. (They must be behind the counter for a reason, as well.) Why did I bring the postpaid priority Envelope to the window? I should just drop that in the box, she said. I replied politely that the instructions at the site were clear that I MUST present the package to a postal clerk. I was so very close to a "Listen Lady" moment. But I bit my tongue and carried on.

I understand their frustration with complicated customers with many packages. But it's called work, and it's what they're there for.

But I digress.

I'm adding here to my point about avoiding avoiding confrontation and engagement with postal staff. Some folks go into the post office prepared for a media mail argument, so much so that they bring it on themselves. Like I said above, print the labels and drop it off. The best way to avoid confrontation is to avoid confrontation. The best way to avoid confrontation is to avoid contact.

Now, to the issue of upcharges for Media while package is in transit. It's my suspicion that some packages may get upcharged due to accidental opening in transit. Not saying that random inspections don't happen. they do.

Pack for the trip. A well packed box doesn't fall open. Further, if I'm working in a mail facility, the boxes which will bring my most attention are those that are improperly packed or sealed. (Most of these are addressed to Ken.) Why be a target? Pack securely. Tape all seams. Make the box a brick. The gorillas in the back room have a keen eye for bad boxes. Those are the ones they take their frustrations out on. Those are likely the ones that are most targeted.

When at the counter, the patron must be polite.

When in transit, his package must be a well-behaved package.

The best way to avoid detection is to avoid attention.

The best way to resolve conflicts in life is to avoid them in the first place. (The best way to avoid them is to steer well clear of message boards!)
Best Match is The Devil!

The DEVIL !!!
Message 335 of 533
latest reply

bdunndchi
Enthusiast
I mark my packages ahead of time so the clerk doesn't usually ask me what's inside. I write media mail on the outside.

Definately YES, they can. There, I said it.
Message 337 of 533
latest reply

The book is a Media Mail item and according to PO you can add printed matter that qualifies for standard mail (i.e. magazines) as loose enclosures with a media mail item and it can all be shipped at the media mail rate.

Periodicals don't qualify as Standard Mail:

2.0 Content Standards for Standard Mail Letters

2.1 Definition and Weight
Standard Mail consists of mailable matter that is neither mailed or required to be mailed as First-Class Mail nor entered as Periodicals (unless permitted or required by standard) and that weighs less than 16 ounces. Standard Mail includes matter formerly classified as Standard Mail (A) and third-class mail.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/243.htm#wp1048240

Barbara
Message 338 of 533
latest reply

Well, how about this then? Comic books do not qualify for Periodicals prices because they are back issues (assuming you're shipping back issues).

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/707.htm#wp1186502

"Other mailings of back issues or reprint copies, including permanently bound back issues or reprint copies, are subject to the applicable First-Class Mail, Standard Mail, or Package Services prices."

So if it is subject to Standard Mail prices, then according to:

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/173.htm#wp1060547

it is "printed matter that is mailable as Standard Mail," and "may be included loose with any qualifying material mailed at the Media Mail prices."

Yes? No?
Message 339 of 533
latest reply

jrharp
Enthusiast
Officially no, but package beforehand, buy postage online and just hand the package to them. You don't have to say it is a comic. Just say book if they ask.
Message 340 of 533
latest reply

illuminated
Enthusiast
Media mail can still be incredibly slow at times.

38 Days Slow.

But it got there.
Message 341 of 533
latest reply

"For sending small and large packages consisting of books, film, manuscripts, sound recordings, video tapes, and computer readable media (such as CDs, DVDs, and diskettes)." Many e-tailers stretch this definition to extend it to collectibles like comics and such. Window clerks adhere to a strict interpretation of the instructions because you might be a mystery shopper checking on their performance. I am a supervisor with the postal service who sells comics and collectibles on eBay and I always use first class or better. The reason is simple: media mail goes through the bulk mail system. Everyday, any mail received through the windows at a station first goes to the main office for that city and then to the processing plant for that area. Finally, media mail is then forwarded to the local Bulk Mail Center, which is a separate mail stream altogether, which is why it takes so much longer. I stand in line at the local post office (yeah, I have to stand in line like everyone else) and watch customers save a few pennies to beat the system and severely delay their service to their customers. I am hearing rumors that they are planning on closing some of the Bulk Mail Centers to save costs by consolidating processing. This won't help the situation.
Message 342 of 533
latest reply

Window clerks are like outhouse lawyers. They're all married to extras from Battlefield Earth, but nobody wants to take the garbage to the curb. Well, I've got some news for Charlie! I just got back from my World Tour with my band, the Cleveland Steamrollers. There are indeed some membranically insane USPS window clerks out there. They think they know everything. And now, eBay is encouraging more and more sellers to use Media Mail for more and more. Maybe the service will be discontinued one day. I hear rumors that John Travolta is working on channeling L. Ron through an eMeter, so they can ghost-write Grease 3 in tandem. I hear footsteps of Deuce McAllister in the back alleys of Chinatown. I hear dead people. Most of all, I hear YOU, America! When you go into that ballot box this November 11, please remember the eternal words of Thomas Jefferson: "Vote Pepsi Clear".
Best Match is The Devil!

The DEVIL !!!
Message 343 of 533
latest reply

cwcai
Scout
🙂
Message 344 of 533
latest reply

Ah yes...Wonderful Media Mail. Pony express is significantly faster. But for the sake of discussion...Let's say that the prospective buyer lives on the west coast and the seller on the east coast. By godfrey, I do believe that I have a solution to this one most pressing 'all-important issue"_The seller and buyer will both drive to Oklahoma City to meet for the comic exchange thus saving the buyer $3.00 (give or take) on postage. Sound reasonable enough. Good! It's settled.
Stay tuned for my next media mail/ envelope scenario.
Message 345 of 533
latest reply