cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Comics be shipped through the USPS as Media Rate

Can anyone say definatively yes or no? Some clerks will accept packages for this rate and others say No...claim its "Magazines and has advertising" etc. Its been a crap shoot at the post offices I use and I'm tired of getting burnt on large shipments if I can in fact ship Media Rate. They end up using this other rate that maybe saves a dime called Printed Material but is a variable rate based on where its going by Zip Code so many times its about the same as First Class. Tonight at the 24/7 Post Office I figure it cost me an extra $40. I try to kkep my shipping cost to a minimum to my customers but its getting to be a losing proposition when the post office will not cooperate! Please advise and thanks for input Tony
Message 1 of 533
latest reply
532 REPLIES 532

WARNING! Scientists have concluded that mailing comics using media mail rates causes global warming.
Message 151 of 533
latest reply

been shipping comics via media for six years. no problems. it's been mentioned at the po that they can examine packages. my own explanation that vintage comics qualify because most if not all the ads are no longer valid or the company's out of businesss was met with nods and i could almost see the thought baloons above the clerks heads, "yeah, that makes sense..."

media mail policy is primarily intended to prevent large business interests from taking advantage of low rates. those interests must pay commercial rates.
Message 152 of 533
latest reply

So Marvel Comics are now basically junk mail?
A very astute observation!

Captain, ... that would be a good retort at the window next time I'm sending packages! A hoot! Thanks.:-)
Message 153 of 533
latest reply

Did I ever tell you that the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT indulges in the practice of sending COMIC BOOKS via USPS Media Mail delivery?

How about that?
Message 154 of 533
latest reply

Okay, let's try it this way...
Message 155 of 533
latest reply

As you can see, my scanner was a bit too bright here, and no I'm not really worried about anyone getting the address listed on the label, it's part of my contact information with ebay anyway. All you gotta do is buy something and you can get it with no trouble.

But, the real point is, you can see the large black stamp which says MEDIA MAIL (although it's a bit washed out). And I can assure you that the parcel contained nothing but COMIC BOOKS which I ordered from an official Government entity, not just some schnook who works for the gov't who decided to use stick it to the man.

Interesting, no?
Message 156 of 533
latest reply

....decided to use MM to stick it to the man, that is.
Message 157 of 533
latest reply

heademup34
Enthusiast
NEW POSTAL RULES ON " MEDIA MAIL" NO MORE COMICS ALLOWED!!

Media Mail
Books of eight or more printed pages with only incidental blank spaces and NO advertising except for incidental announcements of books, 16-millimeter or narrower width films in positive print for viewing (excluding films sent to or from commercial theaters), catalogs of such film of 24 pages or more, printed music (bound or in sheet form), printed objective test materials and accessories, sound recordings, video recordings, play scripts and manuscripts, printed educational reference charts, loose-leaf pages and their binders consisting of medical information, and computer-readable media containing prerecorded information up to 70 pounds can be sent as Media Mail.
Message 158 of 533
latest reply

tokyodays
Enthusiast
OK, it's official then. From now on, no comics through media mail. I'm also going to start counting all my calories, start taking only ONE of 'free samples' at grocery stores, no more nibbling out of the bulk bins, reporting all my garage sales to the IRS, not to mention start telling the truth about how good my wife looks in a thong.

Yeah, baby!

Well, she DOES look good, though...
http://www.chrisjuricich.com/eBay_pics/apic.JPG
Message 159 of 533
latest reply

Those guidelines aren't exactly new, heademup34 - but thank you for posting.

tokyodays - so YOU'RE the one that gets the hair in the bulk oats! :^O
Check out my "ME" page for a link to The Corral - sweet freedom is at hand!
Message 160 of 533
latest reply

I've got plenty of what you would call COMIC BOOKS that are more than 8 pages long with only incidental advertising for other books (if that) in them. So, looks like MM is still A-okay.
Message 161 of 533
latest reply

ringfinger1999
Enthusiast
Hey, they still let me do it.
Message 162 of 533
latest reply

LOL @ tokyodays.

A bit OT, but there was another Postal rampage-mass murder in California today.
I'm just wondering... this has become such a phenomenon - Postal workers becoming insane & going on mass murder, homicide / suicide sprees - has anyone studied this phenomenon or why it happens in one specific field or company?

They say it's something to do with job stress, but there are lots of stressful jobs. They say waiter / waitress is one of the top 10 most stressful jobs, but how ofen do you hear about food servers going "Postal"? Other courier services go through the same types of stress, but you rarely hear about a Fed Ex or UPS murder rampage.
~
Message 163 of 533
latest reply

rawshark40
Thrill-Seeker
and why is it its only US Postal Workers?
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend... Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Message 164 of 533
latest reply

tokyo

You should be okay with garage sales regarding the IRS. I would assume that the cash from sales are less than what you paid for the stuff to begin with. Sales tax depending on local and State jurisdictions, on the other hand, well...

And if I may be so bold, yes, your wife does look nice in a thong.
Message 165 of 533
latest reply