cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with these early 1800s letter?

A friend gave me 2 early letters and asked me to sell them for what we could get.

The 1st is an 1818 letter/document from the 2nd Mayor of Pittsburgh[John Darraugh with his signature. DSCN7200.JPGI'm going to list that  at auction Friday evening and see what it will bring. Couldn't find another example of his signature so hoping it might do well.

The 2nd letter is 1806 post marked Lancaster, Pa. from Stacy Potts of Trenton, NJ. Apparently Stacy allowed the 1st President of the Continental Congress to use his house from Nov. 1774-Jan. 1775. In 1806[date of letter] he became the 5th Mayor of Trenton. 

I am not sure how to proceed. Is there anything here that might be of value beyond any letter from 1806?

If so, where do I ask or ?...DSCN7212.JPGDSCN7211.JPGDSCN7216.JPGDSCN7217.JPG

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: What to do with these early 1800s letter?

I guess I don't know what you want.  You said, "A friend gave me 2 early letters and asked me to sell them for what we could get," and that you're putting them up for auction tomorrow.  So...?   What...?  What are you after, at this point? 

-

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

If these were mine I wouldn't be so quick to list them on eBay if that's the auction you are referring to.    Or are you giving them to an established auction house that deals in historical material?  I'd be doing a lot more research on the names, content, etc.  and possibly getting them appraised before attempting to sell them.

Rita

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

What you have are "stampless covers". Before listing you should research why they are called stampless covers and how that knowledge might affect your items. Research your items for bigger bucks!!!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Actually, they are both stampless letters.

I had planned to auction the 1st one because I thought it is fairly basic. The 2nd mayor of Pittsburgh 1818. 

The 1st may[Ebenezer Denny]or only lasted 1 year[1816-17]. The other name on there is Irwin Wallace. There was a William Irwin Wallace that was 10th mayor of Pittsburgh[1840-41] but he would have been only 15 in 1818 and probably not signing documents. His father was John Irwin. 

The 2nd letter I was planning to do more research but my question is, how do I start? I can get the basic name info  by searching google but how, who, where, can I get info on there values? I found an almost identical post mark from 1804 Lancaster. Until then, I wasn't even sure it was a Lancaster post mark.

I don't know where to go next?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Actually, in the trade. they are referred to as "stampless covers".

Here is a link where you can learn a bit about them.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

What to do with them?

Put them up for auction on eBay and let the market determine the value.
Oh wait, you already said you are doing that. Well played promotion!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Try contacting the historical societies in the towns cited on these documents (Pittsburgh, Lancaster, Trenton, etc)  They may even be interested in purchasing them from you.  

Rita

Message 9 of 9
latest reply