cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Might This Plywood Panel Be?

Covid cleaning and found this plywood panel reinforcing a wooden shelf in a basement closet. It’s about 2 ft wide by 10” tall and a quarter inch thick. What the actual?! I’m imagining this was perhaps once part of a baby’s/child’s bed or crib? The artwork appears to be embossed or burnished. I’m not sure if the screw holes were originally there or if they were created when the panel was used to reinforce the shelf. Any clues would be appreciated.
0292B6C2-02CF-4994-B8B2-F1A2C664D90E.jpeg595570E4-8F57-4A85-9516-2643670AE194.jpeg6C9332BB-F511-4618-AE54-511D4D61FE12.jpegBackBackThicknessThickness

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: What Might This Plywood Panel Be?

"... that even if the person delivering your mail just sneezed on your package be, there's virtually no reason you should fear being infected by touching the package days or even hours later. With all due respect, I don't think we have any evidence supporting the degree of transmissibility you're suggesting."

That surely sounds like advice to me.

" so there's no point in being alarmist about handling packages. "

Different packaging and sealing materials. Tyvek type packaging and slick tapes/labels will have a different transmission time span than a porous paper/cardboard box.

Just one last thing, why do hospitals lazar focus on having a sterile environment as possible with multiple redundancies? Sorry you had COVID and glad you recovered. How did you catch it?

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

I'm a retired carpenter.  Looking at this piece, the only original cut edge is the bottom (under the clown's feet).  All the other edges were cut by hand, so I would this is not the original shape.  Could be part of the decorative panel from one end of a 1950's crib.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 

"That surely sounds like advice to me."

To my way of thinking, advising someone is to recommend a course of action. I didn't advise anyone to do or not do something. I merely expressed my opinion as to the safety of opening mail based on the science I've read.

"Different packaging and sealing materials. Tyvek type packaging and slick tapes/labels will have a different transmission time span than a porous paper/cardboard box."

I don't disagree. I just haven't read anything suggesting there's any sound reason for even vulnerable people to wait days or weeks to touch or open a package.

"Just one last thing, why do hospitals lazar focus on having a sterile environment as possible with multiple redundancies? Sorry you had COVID and glad you recovered. How did you catch it?"

Thanks. Since I'd been housebound for several weeks at the time, we are pretty sure my partner (who works in a hospital and had experienced mild symptoms a couple weeks prior to my symptoms presenting) gave it to me. Again, I'm not a doctor but my guess would be that a hospital would be the one place where overkill absolutely makes sense. After all, you've got lots of vulnerable patients and the professionals there to care for them all stuck in one place together for weeks and even months.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Stay well.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

To me it looks like part of a child's bed, the shadow lines are later. The one line would be going the wrong way for a wheelbarrow handle.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

@redmodelt wrote:
The one line would be going the wrong way for a wheelbarrow handle.

Yes. I noticed that as well, but I deleted the post because I messed up a photo. This is the direction of the shadow:

6C9332BB-F511-4618-AE54-511D4D61FE12.png

Message 21 of 21
latest reply