cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown poker chips.

Hello,

I got the poker chips and cant fins any information on them. Hoping someone can help. They have swirls on them and stamped  either JWG  and the other chip have Jimmy Gibbs  stamped on them. Any info would be mucb appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

JPEG_20210914_174407_3569808550347568958.jpg

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unknown poker chips.

I think they are a plastic called Catalin.  It's a pretty plastic with swirls.   Many catalog companies sold personalized poker chips in a special chip holder.  Card playing was very popular up until the 1980s.  They are probably from a personalized poker or game set.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Try the Sporting Goods or Toys and Hobbies folks if you don't get an answer here.

Rita

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I don't know what they are but they do not look like poker chips to me

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Many small western states had bars with card rooms and from a jobber  you could get chips stamped with the bar name as well as your own name/initials. That butterscotch one might be bakelite.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I appreciate all of your replies. I have a few sets of 13. I already posted them on ebay.  I actually broke  a couple to see what its made of but had no luck.  Can you tell if its bakelite or not from this picture? Thanks again for your help. 

IMG_20210914_233310.jpg

IMG_20210914_231739.jpg

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I'm not sure if they are bakelite or not.

One thing I noticed was that I wrote "Many small western states" when I meant to say "Many small western towns". I do know that there is a poker chip data base on the internet that you can find on Google.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I think they are a plastic called Catalin.  It's a pretty plastic with swirls.   Many catalog companies sold personalized poker chips in a special chip holder.  Card playing was very popular up until the 1980s.  They are probably from a personalized poker or game set.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply